+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hey guys, those are some very informative responses. VictimOfDHT, I'm always angry just like you say you are, and I want to break stuff all the time. This really is torture that I've never felt before. I've had plenty of shitty stuff happen to me in life, but none of that stuff even comes close to causing me the depression that I feel now that I'm losing my hair. Follicle Death Row and Tracy C: you guys mention minoxidil except there are so many downsides that I've heard other people describe when using it. They talk about the massive sheds that they experienced when starting out, and that sometimes those hairs that were shed didn't even grow back. And then if you stop it at any time, you could possibly lose even more hair than you gained. Also, plenty of people said that they used minoxidil and achieve no benefit whatsoever, kind of like the experience I had using it. It may promote the anagen phase, but I'd bet it's a very weak promoter. After all, minoxidil wasn't developed to treat hair loss, slight hair regrowth was just a side effect of the drug. So it really wasn't developed to achieve maximum hair regrowth whatsoever. Tracy C: your post was very insightful dude. I'm of course familiar with Joe "Satch" Satriani; just a phenomenal guitarist, one of the best out there. Except he didn't experience hair loss until later on in his career. If you look at his earlier albums like The Extremist (or his time spent with Alice Cooper in the early 90's), he still had a full head of hair. He started to experience hair loss later on, at an age when hair loss is far more common. So he still got to still fully savor his youth, which many who suffer from hair loss do not get to do. Haha, and I doubt I'll be the next Satriani either, I just play good enough to get by in bar bands. But I'll tell ya man, I just used to love busting out some old school Motley Crue and swingin' my long hair all over the place. That's why I can't listen to a lot of the 80s big-haired music that I used to love. The look went right along with the sound, and I used to love that I had that look. But now it's all being taken away from me in the worst possible way.
    My mood now is like you say that yours was early on in your hair loss. I've stopped contact with certain friends, and others just stopped calling. I am no longer the outgoing and energetic guy that I used to be and I guess people don't want to be around an angry and depressed person. Anyway, I started treating my hair loss about a year after I really noticed it. I really should've started sooner but I just thought that hair loss was something that God would never let happen to me, especially since I thought He knew how devastating it would be for me. Boy was I wrong. Anyway, I started laser treatment (sitting under a high-powered laser for 30 min per week) at my friend's hair replacement clinic about 10 months after I noticed hair loss. That was just a waste of time. Incidentally, my friend who goes to this hair replacement clinic is a lead singer and could not handle the thought of being bald and being a singer so he has a wig. It's an OK wig I guess, some people think it's his real hair, others can spot it a mile away. But I'm thinking of trying the laser treatment again. If I can buy my own laser, then I can use it however often I want. What laser do you currently use?
    In terms of hair transplant surgery, I'm scared to death of it. Mainly I'm scared of the permanent head scarring that it leaves. True that it should be well-covered by the existing hair that you have, but a scar is still a scar, and that's something that a person is going to have to deal with for the rest of their life. Plus, you almost need to be on Propecia to retain the native hair that you have around your transplanted hair, otherwise then you'll have a very patchy look. I'm also weight-lifter, and lifting has been one of the few things that has given me joy since I started losing my hair. And I believe that Propecia has been ****ing with my muscular structure, so I really don't wanna make a lifelong commitment to being on it.
    As evidenced in my previous post, I'm just pissed off that we don't have nearly enough (and definitely not nearly effective) ways to regrow hair. Hair loss is so devastating and life-altering to so many people, yet virtually no one is looking to cure it. That really pisses me off more than anything.
    Anyway, thanks guys for the informative and empathetic posts, I really appreciate it.