Threaded View

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

I may have a different assessment of this whole sun exposure issue. Practicing in south Florida (and NYC) for the past 15 years, I often encourage patients to obtain a bit of sun exposure once 8 weeks has transpired. I think it is a matter of how much sun, and discretion needs to be followed in terms of avoiding a sunburn which I agree can theoretically interfere with hair growth, although I must admit I have seen very little of this, unless the sunburn is associated with scarring due to prolonged (years, not months) of exposure. This approach is consistent with my less restrictive regimen on exercise and hair washing- two activities that I allow patients to resume in as soon as 6 days post-procedure, for they do not seem to interfere with the final outcome.
    A greater obstacle to hair growth is the wearing of hair pieces- for this is clearly associated with delayed and perhaps permanently impaired growth. There are changes to the scalp skin architecture that occurs with the wearing of a hairpiece- thinning and almost a shineyness to the skin- that is associated with poorer growth. In fact, in those patients who have worn a hairpiece for years, after their hair transplant I recommend not only that they minimize the amount of time the hairpiece is worn, but I also advise that they take some sun to promote circulation.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
    www.foundhair.com
    Miami and NYC
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration