X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gillenator
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by eurobenz867
    great info.

What about regular lights in your house/office. Does that have any adverse effect on the scalp?
    That type of indoor lighting should not have any adverse effect on your scalp/grafts because the level of UV is so much lower in incandescent/flourescent lighting than direct exposure to the rays from the sun.

You would however want to stay away from direct exposure to "sun lamps" used indoors.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• eurobenz867
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gillenator
      That type of indoor lighting should not have any adverse effect on your scalp/grafts because the level of UV is so much lower in incandescent/flourescent lighting than direct exposure to the rays from the sun.

You would however want to stay away from direct exposure to "sun lamps" used indoors.
      Thanks gillenator!

Comment

• gillenator
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by J_B_Davis
        I am trying to schedule a hair transplant during my vacation time toward the end of the year and I was wondering how long after the hair transplant do I have to wait to go out in the sun without my head being covered? Would it be more than two weeks?

Thanks.
        JB,

Oh yes, it would be far more than two weeks. Simply read through this thread and you will find the answers.
        "Gillenator"
        more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• akira12
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Dr. Feller
          "Dr. Feller, I have also heard that immdediate over-exposure to UV rays can prevent the transplanted follicles from establishing to their new blood supply and they can subsequently perish from this. Do you agree?"

I've never heard that Gil.
          I doubt it's true.

Dr. F
          Good informative post and very helpful.

Dr Feller you said that what you noticed was that while the skin around the transplants became VERY red, the sites where the grafts were implanted were totally WHITE. This meant that the skin could darken to somewhat protect itself, but the skin of the grafts had not regained this protective ability yet.

Could this be due to the skin where the grafts are placed is scar tissue however small and this tissue reacts differently to sun exposure.I may be totally wrong of course.

Comment

• gillenator
            • Dec 2008

The tips of the grafts at each recipient site can appear "white" because of the lack of blood flow in that portion of the tissue. It is the tip that eventually dries out and becomes a crust which falls off in 7-10 days post-op.
            "Gillenator"
            more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by linhnguyen
              it would be far more than two weeks. Simply read through this thread and you will find the answers.
              Far more than 2 weeks?
              "Gillenator"
              more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
                • Dec 2008

Glad to see it has been helpful to all.
                "Gillenator"
                more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• rogerskevin67
                  • Aug 2011

For four months since my hair transplant surgery I was wearing as prescribed by Doctors. But when on the fifth month I tried going outside without the hat I started having itchiness on the scalp. Thus I continued wearing cap till the sixth month. What I mean that although it depends from person to person, but four months is minimum.

Comment

• gillenator
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rogerskevin67
                    For four months since my hair transplant surgery I was wearing as prescribed by Doctors. But when on the fifth month I tried going outside without the hat I started having itchiness on the scalp. Thus I continued wearing cap till the sixth month. What I mean that although it depends from person to person, but four months is minimum.
                    Did you use sun screen when your hat was off and the itching began? That can make a big difference. Many products condition the scalp in addition to blocking the harmful UV rays.
                    "Gillenator"
                    more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kenvin
                      This meant that the skin could darken to somewhat protect itself, but the skin of the grafts had not regained this protective ability yet.
                      And why most doctors will want their patients to wait at least 4-6 months post-op before exposing to sun.
                      "Gillenator"
                      more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ryanlister
                        This meant that the skin could darken to somewhat protect itself, but the skin of the grafts had not regained this protective ability yet.
                        Skin meaning tissue with the outer layer (epidermis) and inner layer (dermis).
                        "Gillenator"
                        more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
                          • Dec 2008

Exactly, except skin is really tissue that we are talking about.
                          "Gillenator"
                          more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by katysa
                            Very true because of the same potentially harmful UV rays. This would also include tanning beds.
                            "Gillenator"
                            more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
                              • Dec 2008

What's up with all of the spam?
                              "Gillenator"
                              more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
                                • Dec 2008

Either that or you are spammimg with your new links every time you post!
                                "Gillenator"
                                more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

Working...