X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SMH4
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by gillenator
    There are countless options for laser therapy and it's very hit and miss and also very expensive.
    I tried the laser cap for a few months but ended up returning it. I ended up getting constant headaches and impacted my family and work life. It just wasn't for me.

On another note, is there any damage to using sunblock on your head after transplants? The doctor told me I can apply in 5 days (I will be overly conservative, maybe a month or longer.) Will it impact the growh/development? I know I can wear a hat but would like to go surfing, summer will be here soon and I had surgery a week ago.

Comment

• gillenator
      • Dec 2008

SMH4,

It is certainly not too late to use sunblock however just be sure to use a high quality product as they do vary quite a bit.

Feel free to read through this thread as there is a wealth of good information regarding protection from the sun post-op.
      "Gillenator"
      Independent Patient Advocate
      more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• sanook
        • Jan 2012

OK I'm at 1 month and I've been wearing a hat when i've been walking in the midday sun and it's been pretty warm. I've been walking between 1 to 2 hours per day.

The problem is I've realised my cap has ventilation holes in it. As shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	440757

My cap doesn't sit tight on my head - I'd say there's about 1 cm gap between the frontal holes and my recipient area on my scalp. Obviously sun is getting through these holes and hitting a wider area on my head (the angle of the light shining through changes depending on the orientation of my head to the sun).

I'm pretty annoyed I didn't notice this earlier. Also, these holes seem pretty much standard on 90% of caps. I'm going to place a bit of tape under the holes from now on.

I've got quite fair skin - do you think i've done much damage?

Comment

• gillenator
          • Dec 2008

Don't worry, those tiny holes did not allow even a smidget of sunlight through. In fact, caps that have a mesh built in are highly recommended which allows air to breathe through.
          "Gillenator"
          more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• gillenator
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SatyamHairTransplant
            I get this question several times a week. Probably because I live and practice medicine in Florida.
            Makes sense...
            "Gillenator"
            more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• BBay
              • Jun 2013

common sense and advice already says "don't be an egg and make the head red"

Comment

• gillenator
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BBay
                common sense and advice already says "don't be an egg and make the head red"
                You would be surprised!...
                "Gillenator"
                more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• sonypc100
                  • Apr 2017

Hi

Ive read all 21 pages but still unsure of the answer!

I'm 5 weeks post FUE op with ASMED and its starting to get warm and sunny here in the UK.

I won't lay out and sunbathe at all this year so I give myself at least 9 months away from laying in the sun but its the walking round that I am concerned about.

If I wear a 50 SPF cream (I bought a baby one as I presume it will be less sensitive) and then I wear this hat which is UPF 50 should I be ok to walk around in full glaring sun for a day?

thanks

Rich

The Columbia Coolhead baseball cap in black is a performance cap featuring Omni-Freeze technology which reacts with sweat to lower the temperature of the material. In addition the Omni-Shade UPF 50 sun protection will protect you from the sun's harmful rays.

The No. 1 Shop for Baseball Caps online. Find a huge selection of baseball caps in stock at Village Hats.

Comment

• dergol
                    • May 2012

Sunscreen or Cap?

My doctor told me I needed just a good cloth hat or sunscreen. But I suppose if you are really nervous about it, both couldn't hurt for 6 months or so. I have used a baseball cap for the past few years since my procedure whenever I am in the sun. Sometimes I will go 10 or so minutes without it (after the 1st 12 months). But 98% of the time, I go for the cap.

Simms makes nice 50 SPF caps as well.

Comment

• sonypc100
                      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by dergol
                      My doctor told me I needed just a good cloth hat or sunscreen. But I suppose if you are really nervous about it, both couldn't hurt for 6 months or so. I have used a baseball cap for the past few years since my procedure whenever I am in the sun. Sometimes I will go 10 or so minutes without it (after the 1st 12 months). But 98% of the time, I go for the cap.

Simms makes nice 50 SPF caps as well.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/ha...dia-cap-1.html
                      Thanks for that, I guess if I use both sunscreen and a hat I should be fine.

Comment

• gillenator
                        • Dec 2008

White color cap is the best as black color tends to attract the sun's rays much more than light colors.
                        "Gillenator"
                        more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• gillenator
                          • Dec 2008

White color cap is the best as black color tends to attract the sun's rays much more than light colors.
                          Kudos
                          "Gillenator"
                          more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• Bkbaby
                            • Aug 2017

Does wearing bangs count as protection?

Hello all,

I'm a female 5 days post FUE for hairline restoration. Been reading all these posts about protecting the grafts post transplant and I'm wondering about wearing bangs, does that count as protection from the sun? I'm currently in Romania for another month or so, very hot sunny weather every day, curious if I can take 10-20 minute walks during the day with my bangs down, grafts covered by my own hair. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• gillenator
                              • Dec 2008

No, your bangs will not serve to protect your grafts from the sun's harmful rays. In fact the darker hair colors actually reflect more light off the scalp.

So best to use something to cover those precious grafts like a loose headband or scarf.
                              "Gillenator"
                              more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• Bkbaby
                                • Aug 2017

Thank you!

No, your bangs will not serve to protect your grafts from the sun's harmful rays. In fact the darker hair colors actually reflect more light off the scalp.

So best to use something to cover those precious grafts like a loose headband or scarf.

Thanks gillenator! It's a tricky situation to manage, between not wearing hats out of fear they would be touching the scalp, and not going out out of fear of sun exposure, ugh..

Comment

Working...