+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

You're welcome dandy, just give it more time, you'll see.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Dear Sirs,

I am extremely worried about what happened to me today. It´s my second FUE procedure and I am in my 17th day post op.
    Today I fell sleep at the worst time of a sunny day for about an hour in my living room coach just behind a big window with my scalp in front of this window, there is also some white curtains blocking partially the light and I thought I was safe because of these white curtains.
    What triggers all my concerns is that tonight after my evening shower I saw a massive shedding, more than 100 hairs and before this event the transplanted hair was not falling -only few hairs per shower after my tenth day.

I was reading about UV protection factor of clothes and I saw that white colour protection factor is much lower than dark colours, between other factors. After my reading I consider my white curtain as a weak UV protector and I guess a good % of UV radiation through that window was hitting my scalp for an hour.

I do not have any sign of sunburn or white dots around new grafts as described here by some of the Drs. But I am afraid that the initiation of the shedding just after this could be more than a coincidence.

Any feedback would be much appreciated while I wait for the results of my last HT to come.

Many thanks for all the valuable info in this forum!.

It sounds like sympathetic shockloss is occuring especially being 17 days post-op. This is perfectly normal and I would not worry about it.

Had you stated that there was a definite sunburn as a result of the filtered UV rays, that would be different altogethor. Yet I did not read of any red burn nor inflamation or burn blisters of any kind. There is a fair amount of pain and acute tenderness associated with sunburn when the tissue is damaged.

It would be helpful to visibly see your scalp right now however trust me, you would know if your scalp was sunburned but it clearly does not sound that was the case. If you would have been outside say on a deck with your scalp exposed to "direct" UV rays, then you probably would have experienced a burn but thank goodness for those curtains and the fact that you were not "directly exposed" to the potentially harmful rays.

Now it never hurts to contact your surgeon, but my guess is that your doctor will concur with the opinion that you did not sustain a sunburn and that your grafts should be fine.

In approximately another 12 weeks, maybe earlier, you should begin to see the new growth. Wishing you the best my friend!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I doubt you have a thing to worry about. Glass filters out a good bit of UV - but not all. Conventional glass is almost totally opaque to UVB and C. However, it partially allows UVA to pass through. UVB and C are the light wavelengths to be concerned about. I'm fair skinned and have had several bad sunburns throughout my life. I am older and have paid the price. Sun damage will show up later in life. When your skin is actually burned, you will know it. Bad sunburns in fair-skinned people can lead to Actinic Keratosis and often skin cancer. I had to use 5-fluorouracil on several areas of Actinic Keratosis over the years. It does a great job of getting rid of the scaly red patches, but it makes a mess of your skin during the treatment phase.

I credit my wife for steering our family toward healthy eating. She removed from the menu, trans fat as well as foods containing GMO. We cook in high quality olive oil, eat grass fed beef not shot up with chemicals and we avoid non-organic produce like the plague. It's literally amazing the difference in health my fimily has enjoyed since making these changes.

Studies show that those who have Actinic Keratosis can dramatically help the lesions by switching to a low fat diet.

-35YrsAfter isan employee of Dr. Cole's office

What type of glass are you talking about?
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

This is very informative.

I am planning on a procedure this coming may as i am a student and have all the summer off, so was hoping to have a procedure done then travel for a few months either the US or Europe depending on where i have my procedure!

Is this option not viable now

This has been a great thread however my HT and travel plan has been put of by this

Regards

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Sharon A. Keene, MD has written a series of articles in Hair Transplant International Forum magazine related to hair loss studies in identical twins. In one of her articles, Dr. Keene recognized the three major non-genetic contributors to hair loss as, smoking cigarettes, sun exposure and stress.

I always cover my head when out in the sun for any extended length of time. The most comfortable hats in my opinion offering sun protection are bandanas.

Killer Creek Harley, about a mile from Dr. Cole's office has some great looking hats and bandannas. They can generally be worn a couple days after FUE hair transplant surgery. That's my style opinion though. I have suggested this style of head cover to patients who tell me it's not their style at all. Here is the link.

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    www.forhair.com

Bandanas are fine as long as the knot that is tied is done without very much tension. In most cases the knot is located directly under the occipital zone and can potentially put undue downward tension on the donor scar. However it's a great cover for FUE patients. Now they even make bandanas that are custom made to size and the knot is already pre-tied.

There is really no clinical substantiation (proof) that smoking causes hairloss unrelated to MPB. More of a theory than actual proof. I no longer smoke but I use to for 40 years and did so after all four of my HT procedures. I do not advocate this because of the constriction of the vascular system among other things like lung cancer, yet it never negatively impacted my results.

It's always a good thing to cover our scalps anytime we are directly exposed to UV rays for any length of time beyond roughly 7 minutes.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

The sun is vital towards achieving optimal health for all human beings,to believe otherwise makes no logical sense. It’s very easy for those who market crap to say oh yeah it’s the sun. Most cancer is a direct result of environmental exposure to chemicals in some form and shoveling loads of crap down one’s pie hole.

The sun is a good source of natural vitamin D, but the issue here is preventing damage from the UV rays.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net