+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Default Self Tanner

How soon after the HT would it be safe to use self tanner on the recipient areas? I have small areas of grafting, but didn't want to "clog" or "poison" the grafts in way. Do you recommend not using that? What about hair gel also? Can a substance stunt it's growth? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by steinomight2 View Post
    How soon after the HT would it be safe to use self tanner on the recipient areas? I have small areas of grafting, but didn't want to "clog" or "poison" the grafts in way. Do you recommend not using that? What about hair gel also? Can a substance stunt it's growth? Thanks!
    You can apply these products when the epidermis is completely healed. The products you mentioned do not however protect your scalp from the harmful UV rays if they do not have adequate sun block. Even then, it is always best to keep your scalp covered with a cap or scarf whenever in the sun for more than 7-10 minutes.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hi . I am a bit confused regaring the sunburn issue as it seems to be elephant in room regaring hair follicle yield post op. My crown area received 4100 graths in September. In December I spend one hour in the sun which resulted in a redness which I could see in the evening gettting ready to go out. I wear a hat all the time so no direct sunlight was on my crown since May. Therefore it is natural that the sun will be fairy effective in colouring the skin red. I felt no discomfort. Now is it a fact fact that the follicle dies or is it more a question of the pigmentation of the skin. Why do docters not stress this point more regarding post op. Why do they not prescribe sunblock so you know you need to stay out of the sun. At the moment it seems everybody has there own opinion which of course is futher fuel to the flames of uncertainty burning along this yourney we have all embarked on hoping to get clear guidance from the profesionals - is it one month, is it two months, is it three months that you should be out of the sun. OMG i am so confusioned

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    Hi . I am a bit confused regaring the sunburn issue as it seems to be elephant in room regaring hair follicle yield post op. My crown area received 4100 graths in September. In December I spend one hour in the sun which resulted in a redness which I could see in the evening gettting ready to go out. I wear a hat all the time so no direct sunlight was on my crown since May. Therefore it is natural that the sun will be fairy effective in colouring the skin red. I felt no discomfort. Now is it a fact fact that the follicle dies or is it more a question of the pigmentation of the skin. Why do docters not stress this point more regarding post op. Why do they not prescribe sunblock so you know you need to stay out of the sun. At the moment it seems everybody has there own opinion which of course is futher fuel to the flames of uncertainty burning along this yourney we have all embarked on hoping to get clear guidance from the profesionals - is it one month, is it two months, is it three months that you should be out of the sun. OMG i am so confusioned
    It does not sound like you were sunburned although your scalp did get red from what you said. Yes it can be confusing because as with anything else, everyone has their own opinion regarding potential damage from ultra-violet rays. I think after reading all of the available esearch on this topic, most will concur that potential damage can occur to both the epidermis as well as the transplanted grafts depending on the degree of burn sustained. Why not simply take the safest approach to protect one's investment and keep the epidermis protected for no less than three months.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

great info.

What about regular lights in your house/office. Does that have any adverse effect on the scalp?

Quote Originally Posted by eurobenz867 View Post
    great info.

What about regular lights in your house/office. Does that have any adverse effect on the scalp?
    That type of indoor lighting should not have any adverse effect on your scalp/grafts because the level of UV is so much lower in incandescent/flourescent lighting than direct exposure to the rays from the sun.

You would however want to stay away from direct exposure to "sun lamps" used indoors.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    That type of indoor lighting should not have any adverse effect on your scalp/grafts because the level of UV is so much lower in incandescent/flourescent lighting than direct exposure to the rays from the sun.

You would however want to stay away from direct exposure to "sun lamps" used indoors.
    Thanks gillenator!

Quote Originally Posted by J_B_Davis View Post
    I am trying to schedule a hair transplant during my vacation time toward the end of the year and I was wondering how long after the hair transplant do I have to wait to go out in the sun without my head being covered? Would it be more than two weeks?

Thanks.
    JB,

Oh yes, it would be far more than two weeks. Simply read through this thread and you will find the answers.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Feller View Post
    "Dr. Feller, I have also heard that immdediate over-exposure to UV rays can prevent the transplanted follicles from establishing to their new blood supply and they can subsequently perish from this. Do you agree?"

I've never heard that Gil.
    I doubt it's true.

Dr. F
    Good informative post and very helpful.

Dr Feller you said that what you noticed was that while the skin around the transplants became VERY red, the sites where the grafts were implanted were totally WHITE. This meant that the skin could darken to somewhat protect itself, but the skin of the grafts had not regained this protective ability yet.

Could this be due to the skin where the grafts are placed is scar tissue however small and this tissue reacts differently to sun exposure.I may be totally wrong of course.

The tips of the grafts at each recipient site can appear "white" because of the lack of blood flow in that portion of the tissue. It is the tip that eventually dries out and becomes a crust which falls off in 7-10 days post-op.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net