+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

I may have a different assessment of this whole sun exposure issue. Practicing in south Florida (and NYC) for the past 15 years, I often encourage patients to obtain a bit of sun exposure once 8 weeks has transpired. I think it is a matter of how much sun, and discretion needs to be followed in terms of avoiding a sunburn which I agree can theoretically interfere with hair growth, although I must admit I have seen very little of this, unless the sunburn is associated with scarring due to prolonged (years, not months) of exposure. This approach is consistent with my less restrictive regimen on exercise and hair washing- two activities that I allow patients to resume in as soon as 6 days post-procedure, for they do not seem to interfere with the final outcome.
    A greater obstacle to hair growth is the wearing of hair pieces- for this is clearly associated with delayed and perhaps permanently impaired growth. There are changes to the scalp skin architecture that occurs with the wearing of a hairpiece- thinning and almost a shineyness to the skin- that is associated with poorer growth. In fact, in those patients who have worn a hairpiece for years, after their hair transplant I recommend not only that they minimize the amount of time the hairpiece is worn, but I also advise that they take some sun to promote circulation.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
    www.foundhair.com
    Miami and NYC
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

[QUOTE=Skeptic1st;2355]I am fortunate I found this particular thread,and Im a little upset because my HT doctor didnt mention a single thing about sun exposure in both his verbal and written post op instructions,and considering that I work outdoors for a living,I would think that information should of been provided.Im only a month and a half post op now so I dont think I was careless enough in the sun to do any damage yet, but there were several days I was outdoors with no hat.I only wore a hat most of those past days because of the cold weather here in NJ so I guess I lucked out.I would like to pose a little more specific question for everyone.. you,ve all agreed that no "direct sun" on the scalp is good,except for short periods like 10 minutes or less.What about days that are overcast with no sun, or rainy days?There are still UV rays present through clouds correct?and sometimes it can be very bright outdoors even without the sun. And what about when Im driving in my car, or work truck, too risky?If I go in the pool with my kids,Ill probably use sun screen although I hate any creams, or gels in my hair. What level SPF would be safe?

Skeptic1st,

Yes indeed there can still be strong UV present even with a cloud covering, and you'll hear weather people and derms warn about it. I am not sure what you are referring to about being in the car or truck because you are under cover when you are driving right? Lastly, use the sunblock with the highest block rating because the higher rating, the more protection. If you're in the pool, you will need to reapply it more often. Read the labeling of the product before you buy it and use it.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Could not agree more!...
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hi everyone,

There are 3 phases involved in the life cycle of each hair strand - anagen, catagen, and telogen. At the end of the telogen phase, the hair strand falls off and is replaced by a new strand of hair. However, if the follicle is dead, it wont be able to regenerate new hair.

This is what causes baldness.

There are a number of reasons as to why people suffer from severe hair loss and baldness. One of the primary reasons is hormonal imbalance and poor nutrition.

However, there are ways to prevent it and reverse hair loss - aka, grow hair back on those bald patches using natural ways.

Hope you find it helpful!

I think most doctors will want their patients to stay out of direct sunlight much longer...possibly Dr. Cole can shed some light on this.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

I am trying to schedule a hair transplant during my vacation time toward the end of the year and I was wondering how long after the hair transplant do I have to wait to go out in the sun without my head being covered? Would it be more than two weeks?

i loss my hair and to regain it
    https:// snip.ly/n9ae58

As far as I know, it requires careful planning and balanced therapeutic training, and the most important factor for success is the qualification of personnel who can guarantee professionalism and competence in this matter. good luck! 😃

I heard somewhere that Hair transplant is possible for both men and women https://www.scribbr.com/ .A positive effect is achieved if the hair is thick on the temples and in the back of the head (the strongest donor zones), and hair loss has slowed down or stopped.

Some complain of scalp hypersensitivity to the sun for many months after their hair transplant. I have been in contact with a couple guys who believe that they caused permanent discoloration of their scalps because they exposed their heads to direct sunlight too soon after their procedure.