Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant - Page 3 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpian View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I was a victim of a sunburn and lost grafts as a result. After my sunburn 4 months post op, I noticed my new grafts start to shed. I thought maybe this was shock loss. I was away on vacation and when I came back home roughly 5 1/2 months post op, I was shocked by how thin my recipient area was, compared to when I left for my trip and when my new hairs were growing out. Things never really improved after that. I wasn't fully made aware of the damage sun could do to my scalp and my grafts. Temperatures in the 100+ degree range with extremely high UV are hair killers. I learned it the hard way and had to make up for it with another procedure, which ate up more of my donor
    Scorpian,

Has your new procedure grown out yet?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I also have this white dots after sun exposure, how do I get rid of them?

I use some cream or laser?

Thanx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I also have this white dots after sun exposure, how do I get rid of them?

I use some cream or laser?

Thanx in advance
    Chrissy,

You really can't get rid of the white dots however the issue is the darker tanned skin between the dots. You have to wait until the scalp surface loses it's tan and then not expose your scalp to the sun.

The white dots are scar tissue that have little to no blood flow in them. That's why they appear white compared to the pinker tissue that has blood flow.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I had a HT about 3 months ago and due to the timing it has been very difficult to stay out of the sun. I have been wearing a hat almost daily but this isn't a huge adjustment because I've been wearing a hat almost daily for 10 years now since I started thinning.

I do notice that after wearing a hat, the recipient area does turn a pink color and I'm not sure if it's because of the heat, perspiration or if it's receiving UV rays through my hat. My scalp is definitely sensitive and still is 3 months post operation. At night I do apply vitamin E oil and by morning it seems to settle the pink coloration considerably.

I am planning a vacation to a sunny destination in a few months and I'm just hopeful that my scalp can handle the sun.

Hope this helps.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Default Sun avoidance

There is a lot of good advice already on this thread. Common sense can help significantly decrease sun complications and hyperpigmentation. Meaning, if you are going on vacation shortly after a procedure (hair, face, extremity) first wear a zinc oxide containing sun block and replenish it frequently. Second, wear a hat, not a visor, but something to keep direct light off of your procedure site. Third, sit in the shade..beach umbrella or cabana. Fourth, take breaks from the sun. Don't try to get "bronze" the first day (in fact you shouldn't at all) but use moderation in your out door exposure.

I have done more than 3000 face lifts on folks, many who have either gone on vacation shortly after the procedure, or simply had the procedure in the summer and continued their normal routine. With RARE exception, I have not had much in the way of hyperpigmentation issues if folks will just exercise a bit of common sense.

In fact, we have had a number of men get hair work done and then take off to the beach for a week. Now up here in VA, its not as bright as Florida, but so far, we have had no problems as the men did what I mentioned above. Ask your doctor what his particular instructions are and follow them.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

And any patients having larger FUE sessions done wiill need to further recognize that they are more susceptable to the "white dot" syndrome and may not be able to shave their scalps in the summer months. And I am referring specifically to the donor zones (occipital areas) of the scalp when there is a much wider contrasts between tanned areas and the obvious circular extraction sites. Many FUE patients who's surgeon utilized 1mm plus sized punches can appreciate what I am saying.

And be careful to those former open-donor patients who had many of the former punch-out grafts done from the 70's through the 90's era. Some docs are suggesting to extract from the parietal areas when there is little to no donor left in the occipital area. And although much of that hair is still classified as terminal hair, meaning that it is DHT resistant, be careful in that area. That area has a higher visual impact than the back of one's head so you ceratinly would not want the "white dot" dilemma showing around your ears!

There's much to consider when deciding where to retrieve one's donor sources and to what extent as it is all limited and not an endless supply.

I always and I mean always feel the most for the repair patients who send me their pics and have obviously over-depleted donor zones back-to-sides. There's not much if any that can be done when you run out of donor.

Hope I am not getting too off topic on this thread!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Hi Chrissy,

May I ask if you are seeing the white dotting in the donor area, recipient area, or is the dotting also on the body? Depending on your response, you may want to have medical treatment, use a treatment that you can do own your own, or do nothing at all. There are quite a few options that may be very effective in solving this problem.
    Last edited by CIT; 02-24-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: update subject of response

I was exposed to sun light walking in the city after two months and two weekas after my HT, no sun burn though but some additional redness maybe. Should I get steroid shots in my case? Thanks.

You have to wait at least 6 months after hair transplantation before exposing your scalp to the sun. ]

In my opinion however, it is always best to wear sunblock as too much sun (especially the ultra violet rays) on any part of the skin is bad for you.

One of my friend hair transplant was over a year ago and his hair is still thinner and sun can get through to his scalp, He always wear a hat when out in the sun for longer periods of time.

Proceed with caution.

I often encourage patients to obtain a bit of sun exposure once 8 weeks has transpired.

Is there a reason why you do that? Will sun exposure facilitate blood circulation?