+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Glad to see it has been helpful to all.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

For four months since my hair transplant surgery I was wearing as prescribed by Doctors. But when on the fifth month I tried going outside without the hat I started having itchiness on the scalp. Thus I continued wearing cap till the sixth month. What I mean that although it depends from person to person, but four months is minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerskevin67 View Post
    For four months since my hair transplant surgery I was wearing as prescribed by Doctors. But when on the fifth month I tried going outside without the hat I started having itchiness on the scalp. Thus I continued wearing cap till the sixth month. What I mean that although it depends from person to person, but four months is minimum.
    Did you use sun screen when your hat was off and the itching began? That can make a big difference. Many products condition the scalp in addition to blocking the harmful UV rays.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanlister View Post
    This meant that the skin could darken to somewhat protect itself, but the skin of the grafts had not regained this protective ability yet.
    Skin meaning tissue with the outer layer (epidermis) and inner layer (dermis).
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by katysa View Post
    You would however want to stay away from direct exposure to "sun lamps" used indoors.
    Very true because of the same potentially harmful UV rays. This would also include tanning beds.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

thanks for advise

Default Paul Straub, MD FACS

You should not get excessive sun on it until the hair grows. You don't have to bother for short intervals such as walking across the parking lot to your car but if you are going to sit out at a ball game or work in the yard or polish the car it must be protected. A serious sun burn may stop the new hair from growing. A suntan on the scalp may not look good. You won't be able to see the grafts but if you get a suntan there are tiny pieces of skin around the grafts which have never been exposed to sunlight, they sit in the skin on the to of your head which has probably had more sunlight than any other part of your body. When you get a suntan you will be able to see the grafts. the grafted area will take a mottled appearance. Later as time goes on the new skin will become used to the sunlight and this will not happen.

You can protect the grafted area in several ways. Of course you can wear a cap. Many people have hair that they can comb over the grafts to protect from the sun. Or you can use sunscreen. You should be putting sunscreen on your face; just continue it over your head if you don't want to wear a cap. For example, if you go to the beach and want to go in the water, put a heavy coating of waterproof sunscreen on your face and head.

Default Thanks!

Thank you Dr. Feller, Dr. Charles, Gillenator, Dr. Straub and Spencer!

I appreciate all of you taking time to provide your thoughtful answers.

Thanks Dr Feller for explaining that,maybe this thread should be a sticky as its very informative.

Skeptic1st

I am fortunate I found this particular thread,and Im a little upset because my HT doctor didnt mention a single thing about sun exposure in both his verbal and written post op instructions,and considering that I work outdoors for a living,I would think that information should of been provided.Im only a month and a half post op now so I dont think I was careless enough in the sun to do any damage yet, but there were several days I was outdoors with no hat.I only wore a hat most of those past days because of the cold weather here in NJ so I guess I lucked out.I would like to pose a little more specific question for everyone.. you,ve all agreed that no "direct sun" on the scalp is good,except for short periods like 10 minutes or less.What about days that are overcast with no sun, or rainy days?There are still UV rays present through clouds correct?and sometimes it can be very bright outdoors even without the sun. And what about when Im driving in my car, or work truck, too risky?If I go in the pool with my kids,Ill probably use sun screen although I hate any creams, or gels in my hair. What level SPF would be safe?
    Thank you again guys for raising this topic and answering it thoroughly, you saved me a lot of grief in an area I was completely ingnorant.