+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by censur View Post
    Thank you for your great help.

Anyway, now almost three weeks have passed since my treatment.
    My scalp in the recipient area is still quite red and also has some pimples.

I find this a little bit strange because after my other HT the redness was completely gone within two weeks.

I can't help to wonder if this has anything to do with the sun exposure that I mentioned ealier. What do u guys think?
    During the evening the day when I got the sun expoure, like I said before, the entire scalp had a very slight pink color. But of course, the actual recipient area wasn't just pink at the time, it was red. But then it was only three days after the HT so that area was pretty red even before the sun exposure as a result of the treatment itself.
    That makes it hard for me to know if the sun made it even MORE red.

Is there anything I can do about the redness?
    Do you think it would be pretty safe to try to cover it up temporarily during the daytime with dermatch now three weeks after surgery?
    Any input on this?
    The transplanted area is still as red.

censur,

Sure the sun could have something to do with the lingering redness however I still think your grafts are fine. Or you could simply be a little collagen deficient in the area.

Three weeks post-op is not a very long time for the redness. Usually the guys that have it experience this type of redness for 4-6 weeks post-op. So even though you did not experience this on your first procedure, having it this time does not necessarily imply there is a problem.

My advice is to contact your surgeon who may want you to just give it more time or may direct you to use a topical steroid cream.

If the redness does not dissipate after say 90 days, then the steroid cream becomes more inevitable.

But always consult with your doctor/surgeon. A fair number of them have backgrounds in dermatology. At the same time you can get his advice regarding your sun exposure.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Forgot to address your question about the Dermatch.

There could be too much contrast and make the area more noticeable. You really won't know until you try it. If there is not much exisiting hair in the area, the Dermatch may cause eye drift.

Another option is using a spray on foundation that many women use on their face. It's very hard to notice that it's make-up. The only issue with this is if you use it in an area that already has existing hair, it will stick to the hair.

If the redness looks like sunburn, others will think the same.

Probably the best thing to do is to simply let others know you were in the sun too long "only" if they ask. Chances are, others are already thinking that you got a tad bit sunburn.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

This thread has been inactive for a while but I thought I'd share a new treatment available for actinic keratosis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ak_typical.jpg

Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	35459

AKs are considered precancerous lesions caused by years of sun exposure. I have had a few pop up myself and found an effective treatment, but now according to a friend with a Ph.D in pharmacology, there's an even better treatment than 5-fluorouracil. It was recently approved by the FDA and it's called Picato. 5-fluorouracil cost about $90 for a little bottle, treatment takes between 4-6 weeks and treated areas become very nasty looking for several weeks. My friend has had a lot of AKs as well and began treating his skin with Picato. It treats AKs in 2-3 days as opposed to 4-6 weeks with 5-fluorouracil. My friend's skin looks younger because Picato got rid of all of his age spots along with the AKs. The downside is, two little tubes of Picato cost him $500.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I have read that individuals with little pigmentation or those who are very fair-skinned so-to-speak are more prone to these lesions.

I don't think that Picato is covered by most insurance plans? Yet it sounds very promising.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Donate?...
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

This is not the place to promote or collect donations in a patient discussion/help forum.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Is there any evidence of which part of UV radiation damages grafts after hair transplant?. Is it UVA or UVB or both?. It is an important issue because most of cream sun blockers do not protect against UVA, also when indoors UVA passes because glass does not block UVA radiation.
    I had a bad experience just one month post: I was inside airport building where walls were glass walls, I thought that type of glass would block most of UVA radiation and I exposed myself to direct sunlight on scalp for around 15 to 20 minutes, I never had any redness because redness is due to UVB and glass block it effectively but I had massive shedding that night and day after, much more than shedding experience on previous days. I concluded that UVA radiation damaged my one month grafts, because UVA gets deeper into dermis. From my research I found out that that type of special glass (insulated glass unit to reduce noise and save energy cost) block around 50% of UVA thus I guess that my 15-20 minutes exposure was similar to 10 minutes outside exposure.
    Could someone gives a feedback about it?.
    How can we know if we get damaged by UVA exposure if there are never signs of it in skin?. Do HT Drs use any special surgery lamps that do not emit UVA radiation during surgery?.
    When Drs recommend sun cream protection SPF+35, do they take into account that most of it do not block UVA?.
    I hope I did not ruin all my efforts with this 20 minutes close to this glass walls, in about eight months I promise I will come back here to tell if my result could have been impared by this.
    Any help on this will be much appreciated.

There are considerable differences of opinion regarding the exposure of the scalp following a HT procedure. And although I am not the most knowledgeable on the scientific side, I can tell you that even though your recent exposure may have appeared detrimental, it is unlikely that you did any damage to your grafts.

It is more the direct exposure to the UVA rays that can cause significant burn to body tissue. Unless you experienced this, you should be ok. The grafts are placed deep into the dermis layer of scalp tissue where the blood supply exists and that's where the newly implanted grafts/follicles re-connect to the blood supply. At one month post-op this probably already occurred otherwise the grafts would have perished without a blood supply, and necrosis occurs.

Most of the time, a first degree sun-burn will not do much damage. But it's the more 2nd degree and higher burns that can do damage below the epidermis.

Still, to be on the safe side, most docs do not want their patients exposed directly to the UVA rays for 3-6 months, and some docs even feel 9 months.

And many docs advocate covering the scalp (cap or hat) rather than using a sun block because as you already know, sun block is not that effective other than for very short periods of time. So it's best to not expose the scalp to direct UVA rays for more than say 7-10 minutes depending on the forecasted UVA rating.

I think you're going to be fine even though you experienced some additional shedding.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Hi!

I know now that it's certainly not recommended to expose the scalp to sunlight directly after HT.
    I am now planning for another HT and also a holiday in Asia. I may undertake the Asia trip either before or after I do my HT.
    Are there any restrictions or recommendations regarding sun exposure the weeks BEFORE the HT as well? Or is it mainly the months following the HT when it's important to avoid the sun?

If I wear a baseball cap on my head basically all of the time when I'm in the sun, I should be alright, right? Almost no UV-rays get through the baseball cap?