+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is my Dermatologist wrong?

So I went to my dermatologist, who in my previous visit, recommended that I use Rogaine to me. Now I have read COUNTLESS amount of times on this forum that Rogaine is just a growth stimulant, not a DHT inhibitor, such as propecia. I went to this appointment aiming to convince him to prescribe me finasteride. AGAIN he recommended the Rogaine. I told him that I heard that Rogaine was only a growth stimulant, and that finasteride is my only hope at actually HALTING hair loss. He said no, that I was completely wrong, that Rogaine helps with something that involves testosterone biding to my hair follicle root blabla, he said " Rogaine basically does the same thing as propecia, but propecia does it better and internally. Now is my dermatologist wrong or have I just been mis-informed on here numerous times?

Make an appointment with another dermatologist.

As above. Your Dermatologist is wrong that they do the same thing.

Idk Wtf to do anymore Idk how else to get on fin idk how much linger i can do this bullshit.

It really isn't that big of a deal. Just go to another doctor. It is obvious that the first doctor you consulted is not up to speed on treating hair loss. No biggie, just find another doctor. There are many.

I cant just go to another doctor because I annoyed the shit outta my mom to have me see this one three times, I'm seventeen. She takes it as a joke while I sit here and stress over this shit everyday. Is there a legitimate online place I can go that requires no prescription??

Quote Originally Posted by Samiam View Post
    I cant just go to another doctor because I annoyed the stuff outta my mom to have me see this one three times, I'm seventeen.
    Now I know the real reason why the doctor would not prescribe Propecia for you. You are not likely to find a doctor who will. You are too young for it. At your age, it is not at all likely that you would need it.

She takes it as a joke while I sit here and stress over this stuff everyday.
    There is a good reason for that. You are too young to be worried about this. Taking preventative measures is a good idea though. Wash your hair with Nizoral twice a week. If it makes you feel better, use Rogaine or generic 5% Minoxidil - but you are not old enough to actually need Propecia.

Is there a legitimate online place I can go that requires no prescription??
    No.

I've already heard that. I think I would know if I need it or not. I'm not one to just jump to conclusions without analyzing stuff first with matters like this. I am confident that I need to get on fin, if I want to save my hair. I would consider using minoxidil if i wanted to RE-GROW more hair down the road, it does nothing to STOP hair loss, therefor it is NOT useful to me now, i'm tired of hearing "oh you shouldn't get on it until you're 18." I turn 18 in a couple of months, so I should just allow my hair to keep thinning until people think it's OK for me to start taking fin. I've heard a good amount of stories on here about how kids under 18 are prescribed fin, I'm not going to stop until I get it, and i'm not waiting 4 months for it either, I already waited 3 with this appointment to this ****ing dermo who got paid to tell me the same bullshit he told me last time. I mean no dis-respect to anyone either, I know everyone is just trying to help.

I am willing to text with you about this because I want to help if I can - but please stop using vulgar language. There is no need for bad language. It is offensive and I don't like it. Do you talk to your mother like that? I am probably not much different from her.

Now with that said, let’s get down to the point. What makes you, a 17 year old, think you are going bald this early in life and need to go on Propecia? If you truly have been "researching" this, you have to know that it is not likely that you would be going bald this early in your life.

My father was bald early, my brother was balding in his twenties, my uncle is completely bald now. Now I've always had fine hairs, so when thinning occurs it is very obvious and noticeable to me. I am just trying to stop it before it gets bad. If I were to start balding in my thirties I really don't think it would be as huge of a deal to me as it is now.