+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hey guys I'm new to the forum!

I noticed when I was really young that my hairline was receding at the temples but only recently (in the past year) has it started to become noticeable (I am now 25)

I bought Men's Rogaine Foam only to find out that after reading the material provided with it that it does not work on temple receding.

I used Propecia a few years ago but had a semi-severe side affect and had to stop it.

I figured that this was definitely the place to come to get help!

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Best advise is to try the big 3:

- Rogaine (best for crown and mid scalp)
    - Nizoral shampoo - will clean and help the Rogain effect
    - Propecia/Proscar (best to stop hair loss also in the temples, but do not expect large hairgrowth in the temple area. But thickening of hair is normal)

Would recommend to take above, now that you have tried propecia before, I would try it with half doses every second day for 3 weeks and see if you get any side effects, if not then go every day with half doses for 3 weeks, etc...

Let you body slowly get used to the doses.

Fighting hair loss is like life - not a spring but a marathon.... better to have nice hair in a year than expect high growth by November.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-Researching View Post
    Best advise is to try the big 3:

- Rogaine (best for crown and mid scalp)
    - Nizoral shampoo - will clean and help the Rogain effect
    - Propecia/Proscar (best to stop hair loss also in the temples, but do not expect large hairgrowth in the temple area. But thickening of hair is normal)

Would recommend to take above, now that you have tried propecia before, I would try it with half doses every second day for 3 weeks and see if you get any side effects, if not then go every day with half doses for 3 weeks, etc...

Let you body slowly get used to the doses.

Fighting hair loss is like life - not a spring but a marathon.... better to have nice hair in a year than expect high growth by November.

Good luck.
    I am unable to take propecia as it gave me seizures even though I was taking a very low dose

so it seems rogaine is the only thing for me, I bought the mens rogaine foam

will this do anything?

I would combine rogaine with Nizoral shampoo as well. I also know that some people have used Saw Palmetto as a more natural alternative to propecia. Never tried myself, but you can check here on this forum with other members, and with your doctor if this could work for you. You might not get side effects on Saw Palmetto despite you had them on propecia, and it might still stop your hair loss. I believe its worth to check out, but consult with your doctor first.

More radical is advodart, but I am not familiar with it. Ask your doctor before doing any of these except the Nizoral and Rogaine foam, which might help by itself, but do not expect re-growth. If you are lucky it will slow down only.

Good luck.

I would combine rogaine with Nizoral shampoo as well. I also know that some people have used Saw Palmetto as a more natural alternative to propecia. Never tried myself, but you can check here on this forum with other members, and with your doctor if this could work for you. You might not get side effects on Saw Palmetto despite you had them on propecia, and it might still stop your hair loss. I believe its worth to check out, but consult with your doctor first.

More radical is advodart, but I am not familiar with it. Ask your doctor before doing any of these except the Nizoral and Rogaine foam, which might help by itself, but do not expect re-growth. If you are lucky it will slow down only.

Good luck.
    rogaine does not regrow hair?

Yes in some cases, but you get the best effect if you use it in combination with propecia and the chances are best in the crown. But I would give it a try for a couple of months, what is the worse you can loose except the cost for that period.

Just trying to manage your expectations. There are examples of some growth with rogaine, but its very unlikely you will get your hairline back.

is it possible to regrow hairlines at all?

I am a sample of 1 - so hopefully you will get other info from other members also. But my personal experience is that proscar and rogaine thickened my crown perfectly and halted my loss in front, but I did not experience any re-growth in the hairline, but its not receding any more I am still a NW3 but with thicker hair and no thin crown and it seems to be stable, so I am happy.

Do you think I want my teenage hairline back - you bet, but so far I have not found the way...

Sure you might find a few people who have seen regrowth, but if you are a NW2 you will not become a NW1 even with the big 3.

I am a sample of 1 - so hopefully you will get other info from other members also. But my personal experience is that proscar and rogaine thickened my crown perfectly and halted my loss in front, but I did not experience any re-growth in the hairline, but its not receding any more I am still a NW3 but with thicker hair and no thin crown and it seems to be stable, so I am happy.

Do you think I want my teenage hairline back - you bet, but so far I have not found the way...

Sure you might find a few people who have seen regrowth, but if you are a NW2 you will not become a NW1 even with the big 3.
    what are these classes you are referring to NW1 and 2?

The NW scale - Norwood scale is just to have a general scale to relate to and to rate your hair loss, thereby making it easier to explain without showing pictures. You can compare you hairline etc on below picture and find your level of hair loss.

Eg me personally before using proscar I was almost an NW3 Vertex and now I am more of a normal NW3. Ie my crown is thick again and only have receding temples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hamilton_norwood.jpg

Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	11744