+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine 5% Liquid to 5% Foam - Advice Needed

Hi guys,

I'm 26 years old, been thinning in the crown for about 6 years, just VERY SLOWLY. I started taking action 2 years ago, when I realized my crown was visibly thinning at this point. After 2 years of Rogaine 5% Liquid, today, I've switched to the Rogaine 5% Foam.

I've gotten really good results from the liquid solution. Crown filled up entirely, and my left temple that was thinning before, grew back in. I was really happy. After about a year though, i started losing hair again, my crown thinned out a little more than the rest. Temples still look good, and the rest of the hair is a SLIGHTLY thinner than when Rogaine peeked for me. Truthfully, somehow, the thinning process coincided with me switching from 2% Rogaine Liquid to 5% ....... can't really explain how or why. Anyway, that's my story ...

Now, for the first time, I've tried the Rogaine 5% Foam ... and it feels great. It tried up in 15 minutes (some got on the hair in the crown area, as it's kind of hard to spread it around without getting on your hair which actually sucks since it's ineffective but nothing I can do about it ... other than shave my head which i might)

My concerns with foam now, and my questions to you:

1. It's heard to estimate how much you should use. It says to use 1/2 cup ... how do you guys go around doing that? As i think it's very important to keep the amount constant, without much waste, ensuring 1ml of Minoxidil per application gets to your scalp.

2. How do you guys apply it to avoid getting all the hair around wet and wasting the product (don't care about wasted product ... I just want to deliver 1 ml of Minoxidil to the balding area)

3. BIG CONCERN: I've heard of people shedding all over again when switching from Liquid 5% Rogaine to the foam. Is this true? I don't see why really, as it's Minox 5% that's the active ingredient.

4. Lastly, I've heard mixed opinions about which one is more effective. Some guy here mentioned test results were much better for the foam. On the other hand, propylene glycol is supposedly a good delivery agent for the Minox, so that makes the liquid more efficient. Others suggest that the foams fast absorption capabilities make it more efficient.

Please share your experiences. Thank you and good luck all!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Aristotle View Post
    Now, for the first time, I've tried the Rogaine 5% Foam ... and it feels great. It tried up in 15 minutes (some got on the hair in the crown area, as it's kind of hard to spread it around without getting on your hair which actually sucks since it's ineffective but nothing I can do about it ... other than shave my head which i might).
    I hate to say it, but I buzzed my hair off when I started using Minoxidil. This was a devastating experience and I really wish I had not done that - but it did make it easier to get the medicine where it needs to be. I eventually switched to the foam for a while until my hair grew back out longer, which made the foam too difficult to use. Then I switched back to liquid.

1. It's hard to estimate how much you should use. It says to use 1/2 cup ... how do you guys go around doing that?
    It is difficult to estimate. The best advice I can give you there is practice makes perfect.

2. How do you guys apply it to avoid getting all the hair around wet and wasting the product?
    This is another practice makes perfect kind of thing. When I was using the foam, I would put a little on at a time and massage it into my part. My hair is much longer now, so even that doesn't work very well any more. Longer hair makes it very difficult to get the medicine to your scalp.

One thing you can do is use the foam in the morning to make grooming easier, then use liquid in the evening. This would help you save money too because generic Minoxidil is a lot less expensive than the name brand foam.

3. BIG CONCERN: I've heard of people shedding all over again when switching from Liquid 5% Rogaine to the foam. Is this true?
    I don't know. Shedding is a normal part of the process of treating hair loss. Shedding means treatment is working. It takes a long time to treat hair loss. During that time you may experience periods of greater shedding now and then - even if you stick with the same dose and delivery method the whole time. I've been treating my hair loss for almost four years now. During that time I have experienced several periods of shedding. After each shedding my hair grew back out a little thicker than it was before the last shedding. So it just is what it is. Think of it as the weaker hairs need to shed out of the way so stronger hairs can grow in their place.

4. Lastly, I've heard mixed opinions about which one is more effective. Some guy here mentioned test results were much better for the foam. On the other hand, propylene glycol is supposedly a good delivery agent for the Minox, so that makes the liquid more efficient. Others suggest that the foams fast absorption capabilities make it more efficient.
    I honestly believe the "increase" in effectiveness is more attributed to an increase in compliance. It is a lot easier to use the foam, so people are more likely to use it as directed more faithfully. It's a human nature kind of thing.

Thanks for the reply Tracy. I've been pretty diligent with the applications schedule/pattern with the liquid, but the foam is just phenomenal so far in terms of comfort and drying time. Zero irritation/dandruff so far and dries up in about 15 minutes. My hair is medium length on top, short on the sides ... but will shave it all off soon, to make the application process easier and more efficient. I'll start growing it back in the spring.

I'm excited about the foam, but a little concerned with the quantifying of the recommended dosage.

Any recommendations guys?? How do you use the cap or the tube to get out the right amount? Suggestions?

Thanks!

hey aristotle can you check your Private Messages I sent you one!!!!