+ Reply to Thread

Default I need help deciding on a doctor

I am 43 and losing some hair on the front of my head. Now that I'm done with some basic research, I am getting closer to a decision on a doctor to go with for a hair transplant. One of the doctors I'm considering is listed on the American Hair Loss site, and I visited his office sometime back. I've also visited a Bosley office and another office in Long Beach, Calif., to get a variety of opinions.

My concern: Two of the consultants told me they recommend that I receive 2,000 grafts, while the Bosley consultant said I would need about 1,200 grafts. Again, I have some loss at the front of my scalp, but nothing like what I see in many photos of patients on various sites, many of whom who have had less than 2,000 grafts.

As you can see, this is confusing me. I realize every head of hair is different, but I don't want to have more than I need transplanted, and I don't want to end up going with Bosley because they may be more realistic on the number of grafts (and have better looking photos).

Any advice you give me is GREATLY appreciated. I'm trying to make a decision, and I'm at a speed bump that I just can't seem to get over on my own.

Hey Don,

If your hair loss is not too bad, and you think you can live with it for just a little while longer - I would wait until Q1 2012 just to see what the results are for Histogen and Replicel's clinical trials of their new products. If the trials are successful, an infinitely better solution to a hair transplant might be on the market as soon as 2014. 2-4 years isn't that far away, and it might be worth the wait. But I'm sure you will do your research and weigh all your choices before coming to a decision.

Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the quick reply. I've read about this and it seems promising. Is there a reason, other than monetary, not to get a transplant now and then when and if this treatment comes to fruition, go for that as well? People who get hair transplants will still be unable to pursue this option-in-the-works if it happens correct?

Also, these options strike me as possibly cost-prohibitive, as so many things are when they first come out. You think?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Don California View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've read about this and it seems promising. Is there a reason, other than monetary, not to get a transplant now and then when and if this treatment comes to fruition, go for that as well? People who get hair transplants will still be unable to pursue this option-in-the-works if it happens correct?

Also, these options strike me as possibly cost-prohibitive, as so many things are when they first come out. You think?
    Reasons to wait for Histogen and Replicel 2012 Q1 Results.

1. Histogen and Replicel are the most promising approaches to hair loss ever.
    2. Histogen has already displayed hair growth.
    3. Hair transplant will leave you with a nasty scar.
    4. Hair transplant has potential to not work and be wasted money.
    5. You do not want to be sitting in your living room in January with red dotted head and 10 grand broker watching the news announce the cure for baldness from one of these two sources.
    6. Hair transplants suck and great results are rare.

If you do decide to go through with transplant please do thorough research as some of the doctors out there are hacks and will literally hack your head up. Good luck bro.

Inactive

Ways to slow down, reverse, or hault hair loss.

1. Increase blood flow to head (exercise, pepper, massages, cold showers)
    2. Decrease DHT production through decreased ejaculations.
    3. Improve laxity of the scalp in areas your loseing hair.

Quote Originally Posted by BackwardsBalding View Post
    Ways to slow down, reverse, or hault hair loss..
    Nothing will permanently reverse or hault hair loss

If you are destined to lose your hair then it will happen ..........eventually .

The best doctor to see is a barber .

Either buzz it off and get used to, no matter how much we don't like it , or go around looking like crap with combover .

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Hey Don,

If your hair loss is not too bad, and you think you can live with it for just a little while longer - I would wait until Q1 2012 just to see what the results are for Histogen and Replicel's clinical trials of their new products. If the trials are successful, an infinitely better solution to a hair transplant might be on the market as soon as 2014. 2-4 years isn't that far away, and it might be worth the wait. But I'm sure you will do your research and weigh all your choices before coming to a decision.
    Can you tell me how this treatment works and is how it's done?