+ Reply to Thread

Default Loosing hair for 10 years now .. need suggestions

Hello everyone,
    I have been reading people's experiences on this website and also some great HT from diff doctors.

I wanted to share my story with everyone.

I have been loosing hair since I was 17yrs.
    As I had very thick Hair then, the loss was intangible.
    I used different shampoos & oils claiming to stop hairloss, but nothing worked.
    The hair loss became intense or became lesser on and off.

After consulting a hair doctor - I came across that I was sufferring from MPB.
    In 2006 I started using Revivogen. Things improved, however the loss had only reduced.I used it for about 2 years.
    After a while daily application of the lotion became boring and gradually I stopped using it - thought I still use the shampoo.

Since May 2009 I have been using Rogaine .. now too I use Rogaine but skip it sometimes.

My Hairloss has been primarily in the form of receding Hairline & hair on the top of the scalp becoming thinner.
    Also now a smaller area in my crown becoming more visible.

By using Rogaine & Revivogen, my hairloss has been slower than normal, but not stopped completely.

To be honest, I am tired of the continuous care of my hair .. but then the fear of looking ugly is unimaginable.

I know that a HT seems inevitable at some point of time - however I would appreciate your recommendation.

Also since I would turn 28 in Jan 2012 .. I am wondering if HT is a feasible solution for me currently ?

will attach pics by tomm.

Thanks
    Vin

Quote Originally Posted by vin1984 View Post
    I have been loosing hair since I was 17yrs.
    As I had very thick Hair then, the loss was intangible.
    I used different shampoos & oils claiming to stop hairloss, but nothing worked.
    The hair loss became intense or became lesser on and off....

...I know that a HT seems inevitable at some point of time - however I would appreciate your recommendation.
    It is best not to waste your time and money on hokey unproven products. Stick with treatments that are FDA approved or cleared. Your money is better spent on a consultation with a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss - and FDA approved/cleared treatments.

With that said, the only FDA approved medications for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia are Rogaine (Minoxidil) and Propecia (Finasteride-1mg). If your hair loss bothers you, you should stick with those medications. Rogaine can be a pain in the tuckus and expensive, but you can minimize both to an extent. You can use the foam in the morning and generic Minoxidil liquid in the evening. Propecia is very expensive but you can ask your doctor for a prescription for generic Finasteride and simply split the pill into four pieces to make your daily dose. The effective difference between a 1mg daily dose and a 1.25mg daily dose of Finasteride is insignificant. The point is both these medications have been proven to work. You need to give them time to work though. At least a full year – and you need to be consistent with using them. Using them “off and on” is not going to help you much.

The effectiveness of low level laser therapy such as the laser comb is strongly over stated, though it is FDA cleared for the treatment of certain types/stages of androgenetic alopecia for people with certain Fitzpatrick skin types. I have read posts from some doctors who say LLLT can be helpful for some people. I have also read posts from other doctors who feel LLLT is complete BS no matter what. My belief, based on my own personal experience with using a laser comb for almost four years, is that it can be helpful for some people. As with the medications, you need to give it a reasonable amount of time to determine if it is going to work for you. At least a full year – and again you need to be consistent about using it. Using it “off and on” is not going to help you much.

Tracy,
    Thanks a lot for your insight.
    I have clicked some pics of my hair as required for a HT consultation.

I have read a lot by now & I am thinking of starting Propecia.
    Can you suggest any brands and the best places to shop it ?

BTW here is a link to some recent pics

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff447/v19841/

I recently had an online consultation & the doctor mentioned that it would approximately require 4000 grafts for a dense packing and fuller head of hair.

I have seen the before and after videos of other patients who have done a HT of 4k grafts ... I dont seem to hv had that much hair loss .. so wondering if the figure of 4K grafts is correct or not ?

Can the esteemed doctors on this forum comment on the current condition and if I should go for an HT or wait for some more time ?

Thanks for your patience.
    Vin

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It is best not to waste your time and money on hokey unproven products. Stick with treatments that are FDA approved or cleared. Your money is better spent on a consultation with a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss - and FDA approved/cleared treatments.

With that said, the only FDA approved medications for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia are Rogaine (Minoxidil) and Propecia (Finasteride-1mg). If your hair loss bothers you, you should stick with those medications. Rogaine can be a pain in the tuckus and expensive, but you can minimize both to an extent. You can use the foam in the morning and generic Minoxidil liquid in the evening. Propecia is very expensive but you can ask your doctor for a prescription for generic Finasteride and simply split the pill into four pieces to make your daily dose. The effective difference between a 1mg daily dose and a 1.25mg daily dose of Finasteride is insignificant. The point is both these medications have been proven to work. You need to give them time to work though. At least a full year – and you need to be consistent with using them. Using them “off and on” is not going to help you much.

The effectiveness of low level laser therapy such as the laser comb is strongly over stated, though it is FDA cleared for the treatment of certain types/stages of androgenetic alopecia for people with certain Fitzpatrick skin types. I have read posts from some doctors who say LLLT can be helpful for some people. I have also read posts from other doctors who feel LLLT is complete BS no matter what. My belief, based on my own personal experience with using a laser comb for almost four years, is that it can be helpful for some people. As with the medications, you need to give it a reasonable amount of time to determine if it is going to work for you. At least a full year – and again you need to be consistent about using it. Using it “off and on” is not going to help you much.

Quote Originally Posted by vin1984 View Post
    I have read a lot by now & I am thinking of starting Propecia. Can you suggest any brands and the best places to shop it ?
    Start with you doctor. You need a prescription for it anyways so you might as well. Once you have your prescription, you can have it filled at your local pharmacy. While at your pharmacy getting your prescription filled, you can pick up some Nizoral and Rogaine (or generic 5% Minoxidil).