+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I know exactly why they didn't get them in the 80's and much of the 90's, it's because they didn't want to look like their disfigured freak patients. I mean, how can you take a 5 to 10mm plug of hair and space them out across someone's bald head and tell them they look great? Some of these dudes are still in business today, I know who they are, and their excuse that "they were using technology consistent with the times" doesn't mean they thought the work they were turning out was good. Once a shyster, always a shyster.

On the other hand, it does seem to be a conflict of interest for a HT doctor to have another surgeon work on him. Does he want to tell everyone his great HT was done by another doctor when he is trying to get your money?

I know what you mean funkyripler.

Would anyone go to see a dentist that had bad teeth?
    Anyone go see a doctor that smoked?
    Take your car to a mechanic that drove around in a dodgy old banger?

It is a valid point but i know impo i'd rather see a ht doc that practised what they preached, meaning, if a doc had what was considered a good donor area but bald then what's that about, fair enough if they didn't have a choice but come on!

Oh and someone had put that a doctor might not want to give away the info on the doctor they used for their ht, not sure i get that, if the doc is a good guy he'd gladly tell you his experience and let you know he has the very same hang-ups as the rest of us right?

Keep the 'difficult questions' coming funkyripler some forum members take the bite sooner or later/see your thread sooner or later, i also ask a difficult question now amd then so now where you're coming from.

Regards,
    57mph

Quoted by Wylie:

On the other hand, it does seem to be a conflict of interest for a HT doctor to have another surgeon work on him. Does he want to tell everyone his great HT was done by another doctor when he is trying to get your money?

Obviously the doctor cannot perform the transplant procedure on himself, and only another doctor can do it. Like us, they want to chose someone talented.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Quoted by Wylie:

which sort of confirms that all the surgeons are REALLY interested in, is financial extraction...

Quote Originally Posted by funkyrimpler View Post
    which sort of confirms that all the surgeons are REALLY interested in, is financial extraction...
    That's actually the reason I don't like free consultations. If you have to pay quite a lot for an hour appointment then the doc is under less financial pressure to make a sale so to speak. The guy I went to to understand my options (I was curious about finasteride and wanted a script) was really informative and ethical. He never even really mentioned HT but just said it's always an option years down the line, nothing more. He also pointed out that most don't go for it (only 1 in 5 in his experience) and that it's often best to come to terms with it.

With the free consultations you can be sure that many are really looking to make a sale. Might be a bit naive to think every HT doc has the patient's best interests at heart.

This is a curious topic and I've been wondering this myself as well. But it seems that all of these hair transplant doctors have full heads of hair (or enough hair on their heads that no one would consider them to be suffering from hair loss). Some one on here said that only 1 in 5 people who visit a hair transplant doctor actually go through with the procedure. And that statistic is much lower when you consider people who are suffering from hair loss yet don't want a hair transplant and never go in for a consultation in the first place. I know that there are plenty of people like myself who don't want a hair transplant because they don't want to deal with numerous side effects of an HT, like the permanent head scarring or the fact that an HT doesn't even give you close to the original density that you once had with a full head of hair. Not to mention that this procedure is majorly invasive. I am very skeptical because these HT doctors know that most people don't want an HT, yet they keep offering HT's, without trying to develop anything new and less invasive to regrow hair. It seems to me that if most people do not want a certain hair procedure, they a hair doctor would try to develop something better, more effective, and less invasive than what they are offering. They would be trying to offer something with less pronounced negative aspects that more people would be willing to opt for. But instead, a lot these HT doctors offer derivatives of hair transplants that are just very minimally effective. Body hair transplants? Chest hair transplants? Head tattooing? COME ON, MAN!!! I can’t help but think that since a lot of these HT doctors make a ton of money with these hair transplants, that they continue to only perform them (and not try to look for anything more effective) for that reason.
    But back to the issue that most of these doctors seem to have full heads of hair and never seem to get HT’s themselves. I really think that if more HT doctors were suffering from hair loss, then they would be more motivated to develop more effective solutions for hair loss. After all, feeling and experiencing is believing, and until some one personally experiences the disastrous effects of hair loss, then they really cannot begin to know the disastrous effects that hair loss has on a person’s life. After all, if many of these doctors were suffering from the disastrous effects of hair loss themselves, then they would not only be working to develop more effective and less invasive solutions for hair loss not only for the money, but also for their own personal well-being and self-esteem.
    But lastly, I don’t personally blame anyone for getting a hair transplant. After all, no one wants to be bald and I am literally scared to death of it. That’s why I’m still taking Propecia despite the fact that I am experiencing some side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    But it seems that all of these hair transplant doctors have full heads of hair (or enough hair on their heads that no one would consider them to be suffering from hair loss).
    this is simply not correct. take a look around.
    i went for a consultation the other day and both the surgeon and the consultant had major hair loss.
    in fact the consultant ,actually did have an HT..his first of apparently 2 procedures.he was a norwood 6.

HT surgeons sporting transplants (ones I know of anyway, feel free to add more):

Dr. Feller (HT performed by the late Dr. Seager)
    Dr. Alexander (HT by Dr. Feller)
    Dr. Pak apparently