+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Just started Propecia, Age 20.

Hey everyone, I'm 20 years old and I've noticed that I've been gradually losing my hair (on the top, and hairline has receded). My mom was the first one to notice the hair loss. Since then I've been really insecure as I have had very thick and curly hair up until i was about 19.

I've also noticed several months ago that the top of my scalp has been unusually itchy. About a weeks ago I went to the Dermatologist, to which she prescribed Propecia to me. Before going in I had researched extensively and had come to the point that Fin was my only option as I did not want to use Mioxidil because I don't think I can keep up with applying it 2 times a day.

I'm hoping that I don't see an increased rate of shedding, although I won't be surprised if it happens. I just hope that it wont last for months as I have read stories like this. My father has a full head of hair as do my uncles. The only person that was bald in my family was my grandpa (ironically we the same first name), but my grandpa never had thick hair to begin with. I don't think I can cope with being bald, I can't see myself as pulling off the look.

Although I'm doing all this worrying, no one has commented on my hair loss to this date so that has kept me feeling a little more positive. I was just hoping someone would have some tips and maybe some encouragement as I am sure I'm not the only one to go through this at a young age.

Hey Confided, I'm a little bit older than you - I started noticing my hair thinning at 22. It was in my crown mostly but also definitely some slight recession around my temples. And I remember how upsetting that was to me. But I immediately got on finasteride (1.25mg daily) and I noticed a great improvement. I caught my thinning early, and I've restored my hair to a point where I look at it in the mirror and I honestly don't consider it to look like I'm thinning. I've also had no side effects from the drug to date.

I think you should definitely start taking finasteride and take it regularly. The overwhelming odds are you wont have any visible hair loss and/or you will regrow hair for 5 years at least. And there's a good chance that we're right on the verge of having a truly effective therapy that will eliminate hair loss by 2014 or 2015. You might even consider yourself lucky, every other 20 year old that lived before you and started noticing they had thinning hair had no choice but to accept it. You have a good chance of possibly never going bald.

Thanks man, that really makes me feel better that propecia has helped someone else in a similar situation. Propecia is expensive though, ive paid $70 for a one moth supply. I asked the Derma if I could go on Proscar but she did not think cutting the pills would be an accurate measurement. Im hoping that overtime, all this money will be worth it.

Hey man, I should have been more clear. I am actually on proscar. I take a 5mg pill and cut it up into 4 pieces, then take one a day. It's $80 for a 4-month supply. Plus you get a slightly higher dosage, 1.25mg instead of 1mg. Go see another dermatologist getting generic proscar is the exact same thing as propecia just much cheaper.

Default be careful

By taking Propecia, you are allowing yourself to get the risk of ED.
    so be careful
    you may get your hair back
    but you might pay to much for it (ED)
    I suggest talking to your doctor about the risks.
    idk if dermatologist is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEasterly.360 View Post
    By taking Propecia, you are allowing yourself to get the risk of ED.
    so be careful
    you may get your hair back
    but you might pay to much for it (ED)
    I suggest talking to your doctor about the risks.
    idk if dermatologist is enough.
    Driving a car puts you at risk of being killed in a car accident, and so does a simple walk on the street.....

I don't think there are 50 cases of ED -worldwide- due to the use of Fin. Enough with this stupid shit.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Driving a car puts you at risk of being killed in a car accident, and so does a simple walk on the street.....

I don't think there are 50 cases of ED -worldwide- due to the use of Fin. Enough with this stupid shit.
    This is entirely false. There have been articles published in medical journals with case reports or 70+ patients with irreversible ED and this only represents a smattering of the sufferers worldwide. As the OP asked only to hear the good things, I will not elaborate anything further, but you should be aware that what Victim of DHT is telling you is not true in any dimension.

I've read about the possible side effects of Propecia. I've been on Propecia for about a week now and have no encountered anything out of the ordinary. But if I do, I will update on here every now and then for a reference to anyone thinking about taking it.

The thing with ED is if you are not experiencing it on Propecia then you are more likely not to go out on the boards and forums etc and chat about it, if you are experiencing it then yeah you probably will be quite mad and will go out and talk negative, so there is a slant there in my opinion.

As for me I been on Propecia for over 10 years from about 25 to 38, ugh i am getting old, but I have never had ED problems in all this time and I have never not been on the drug except for the occasional miss a day

Though my skin is purple (joke)

Cheers

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Same here. Good results on proscar split in 4 and been on it for 2 years and plan to stay on, especially if I get a HT.

Make up your own mind on this one, do not listen to the ones that shouts the loudest - also speak to several doctors.

Another thought - ED is maybe hitting 1-2% of the male population with or without taking propecia, if you are in the danger zone of that, and try propecia and especially reads about these symptoms before or after you taken the drug - I am sure the chance of getting ED is higher.... but does that mean you just started showing symptoms earlier than you would anyway...

If above is part of the story + that 99 out of 100 happy propecia users would not go online to say hi - it works for me... (it does :-) by the way...

Cheers