+ Reply to Thread

Default Itching around frontal transplant area...

3 years ago or so I started noticing that I was itching in the areas around my forehead or front part of my hair. It's always in the usual place. This later on gave me the sign that I was having hair loss there. Started using Nizoral which actually was effective in stopping the itch.

Had hair transplant last November. Stop using Nizoral for about 1 month after. The itching started again so reused Nizoral. The itching stopped and I continue to use Nizoral on a weekly basis.

However in it's now my 10 months into post hair transplant and the itching has started again around my hair transplant area. The problem here is that Nizoral doesn't seem to have an effect now for some reason like it did before.

Any ideas on why there's itching and how to solve this now that Nizoral doesn't seem to have an effect on it?

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Are you taking propecia/proscar - as I had same problem all the time until I started using FIN. Though I do not have any transplant yet, but had the itch and was loosing hair quickly but when I started proscar it was gone after 1 week. While I still had the itch after using Rogaine.
    How big a surgery did you get and FUT or FUE?

Yeah I've been on proscar for over 2 years now. I used Dr. Wong so I'm not 100% sure if its FUT or FUE.

The itching just started up in last 2 months or so. I don't know if this is a sign of more hair loss or not.

If you use Nizoral and proscar - I believe with my limited knowledge that the chance you are still loosing hair is low, especially if it has halted your loss till now. Of course proscar is often loosing its "power" over time, but as far as I know normally only after 10+ years. Dr Wong would mean FUT :-)
    Nice - happy with the results and how many grafts - all in hairline?

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cphan View Post
    Yeah I've been on proscar for over 2 years now. I used Dr. Wong so I'm not 100% sure if its FUT or FUE.

The itching just started up in last 2 months or so. I don't know if this is a sign of more hair loss or not.
    How can you not know if it was an FUT or an FUE ?? Anyway, I think it's normal to have a little bit of an itch.

I know because Dr Wong does not do FUE unless he started this year. H&W are one of the best in the field of FUT or Strip surgery.

Back to cphan - you should maybe also note that minox/rogaine has a tendency to make your scalp itch, so if you are using this - that might be the reason also.

This is just another one of those situations that should be examined by a dermatologist. If you have reasonable health insurance, the visit and treatment if needed should be covered.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin