+ Reply to Thread

Default Sudden Unbearable Scalp Itching from Rogaine, please help

I’m a 39 year old female. In fall of 2010 I started shedding like crazy. After a few month of heavy shedding I went to a dermatologist who specialized in female hair loss. He put me on Rogaine, Iron and supplements. I started using Rogaine 5% liquid 2/times a day (Walgreens brand) in Jan 2011. For the first 3 month I had excessive shedding. Then the shedding completely stopped and new hair started to come in. In the following 3- 4 month I had so much new hair growing all over my head to the point that I started to think that it was too much hair. All this time I had only minor irritation and tolerable itching.

The hair got so thick that I could barely manage it. As a result I decided to cut down Rogaine application to 1 time every other day. One month after I reduced my Rogaine applications (Aug 2011) the shedding began. Hair started falling out with increasing intensity. Most of the shedding were new short hairs that recently grew in. As a result I went back to the 2/times per day application of Rogaine.

However as soon as I started applying Rogaine 2 times a day, my scalp began to itch like crazy (even though I did not have this problem before). I examined the scalp and it does not appear dry or irritated . The itching is not constant , but sporadic and usually starts 2 to 3 hours after application . The severe itching episode will last about 1 to 2 hrs then it would subside for 1 to 2 hours. I tend to have 3 to 5 severe itching episodes after each application. When it itches it feels like bugs are crawling under my skin. But again I want to reiterate that my scalp is in perfect condition (no dryness, redness, flaking or bumps).

If anyone can give me some guidance based on their experience, I would be very grateful.

Unfortunately, that's one thing I really hate about using Minoxidil- the itch that it causes. I find that applying it on a clean (washed) scalp is a little less irritating. There are alternatives to regular minoxidil that don't cause the ingredient that cause the itch but I'm not sure if these are available for women. Some of these products are on ebay. I don't know if Dr. Lee -if he's still in business- has anything for women.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You should consider the Rogaine 5% foam. They have removed some of the ingredients that cause scalp irritation and itching. I recommend to my patients only once a day at night and wash off in the morning.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile