+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone try upping dosage of proscar?

Greetings,

This is my first post ever! Been listening to Spencer for about 9 years now and he's been a lifesaver in regards to my hair loss.

Been on the big 3 for 9 years now; using Propecia along with rogaine and nizoral shampoo. I was a great responder to Propecia, went from a NW 3 to a NW 1 overnight, most important never any sides. Started seeing some loss over the past 3 years though and now want to try upping dosage.

My questions;

My doc won't give me a prescription for this. I live about 20 min from NYC in North Jersey, who can I talk to about this?

I know everyone is different, but what can I expect in upping dosage?

Cheers

I am not a doctor, but here's my opinion.

I understand that finasteride (propecia or proscar depending on dosage) only works for so long. After that it is possible for hair loss to resume. I also believe some people switch to Dutasteride when that happens.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

You say you went from NW3 to NW1, that's quite unbelievable, and I'm a great responder to propecia myself. Could you post some pictures?

Lastly, your doctor has your best interest in mind. If he doesn't want you to up the dose, it's mostly because upping the dose makes no difference. Beyond 1mg, the results are the same. See for yourself:

Both finasteride and dutasteride can easily be bought online, but I encourage you to get the opinion of a real hair transplant surgeon.

MCR,

I'll try to get you pics. I get your point regarding the dosage. I'm thinking of going another way in trying to add something to my routine.

Let me know what you think may be usefull in adding something else to the big 3.

Thank You

Ask your doctor about Dutasteride. Based on the research I saw, it even even MORE effective than finasteride.

Yea, but don't want to go down that route yet. Does a stronger rogaine exist? and if so is it reputable?

Rogaine Foam 5% is the strongest form of minoxidil that you can purchase in the US. It is possible to buy outside of US at stronger levels.

And I concur regarding the dosage of finasteride. Taking more Proscar (5mg)per day may be dangerous and could have adverse affects on your prostrate since Proscar is dispensed for swelling of the prostrate (cancer).

Avodart (dutasteride) is prescribed for the same purpose. Yet can be effective for inhibiting both Type I and Type II DHT. Finasteride only inhibits Type I DHT.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by B_Man View Post
    Yea, but don't want to go down that route yet. Does a stronger rogaine exist? and if so is it reputable?
    *******15 contains a 15% concentration.

I've used it, I've used Rogaine, and I've always found both to be useless and a pain to apply. Finasteride is the only thing that works, as far as I'm concerned. It's my little miracle pill.

I heard Dr. Lee's out of business and so is *******.

Did you ever here of these guys http://perfectimagesolutions.com/Home.htm

I'm also looking for Nizoral Shampoo since Nizoral A-D doesn't seem to be around any more and Nizoral 2% makes me shed really bad. I agree with you regarding Finasteride it has been a miracle.

Thanks for all your help

IMHO, if you are using finasteride successfully, you really do not need Nizoral products. That product claims it removes DHT from the sebum in the scalp however there are no clinical evidence to prove this, none.

And neither Nizoral or Nioxin are regulated by the FDA because they are not classified as drugs so they are not held to substantiate their claims with proven clinical trials like Propecia.

Nioxin being more of a scalp cleanser/invigorator, not inhibiting of DHT.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin