Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DepressedByHairLoss
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row
    It's not a bad idea. However I'm pretty sure the likes of Replicel, Aderans, Histogen and co. are pretty damn focused on this because of the potential financial reward. We always go on about how we have the full human genome now for the best part of a decade yet nothing has come of it. It's not so simple. We actually still know squat about much of human biochemistry.

When the human proteme (the full compliment of human proteins and their structure and interactions) is finished we can expect big things. The big problem with all this biochemistry is that we have the genes down and we see the effects. The stages between gene to disease/conditon is mind boggling. It's like a black box flight recorder.

However there's always cause for optimism. Check this out (hopefully the link is allowed). Online gamers worked out the structure of an aids like retro virus enzyme.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/on-line-ga...ds-drug-design
    Hey man, actually my friends agree with you that the monetary rewards for inventing a cure for hair loss would be plenty of motivation for scientists to cure baldness. However, upon further examination, I don't believe that this is the case. If it was, then way more than 4 companies would be trying to cure hair loss. I thiink what frustrates so many of us is that there are so few people/companies even trying to cure hair loss. At least with regards to other diseases/conditions, there are so many people trying to cure them. So at least if these other diseases/maladies are not cured yet, at least sufferers know that there are many people/companies out there trying to cure them. We can't say that with hair loss in the slightest. If these big companies really wanted to cure hair loss and make a ton of money, then they would at least try to something. I think we're unfortunately stuck with 3 camps of people: 1) Big money pharmaceutical companies that don't give a shit about curing hair loss, 2) Scientists that ONLY test on mice, and 3) hair transplant doctors that don't want to cure hair loss because then they would be out of business and their transplants would become obsolete. I'm actually going to post a ton of chemicals/potential remedies that have plenty of potential to grow hair but have never been tested on humans. My beef is that there are plenty of things that could be tested to cure hair loss, yet no one is doing anything further than testing them on mice. I'm actually going to list a ton of them here. Since this forum is all about possibly setting up our own organization to hopefully attempt to encourage real scientists to conduct experiments to benefit humans (and not mice), then maybe they can choose from the list below. Lastly, Follicle Death Row, I don't mean to second guess you here or anything like that; I've read your posts on here and you seem like a very sensible person. So anyway, here's the list of potential cures that have never been brought beyond the mouse stage.

1. Noggin

2. Cyclosporine

3. Thymosin B4

4. N-WASP

5. Laminin 511

6. Ephrin A3
    Could Ephrin-A3 help you grow your very own fur coat? (Photo by Stephen Barnett ) For those interested in the latest studies regarding hair ...

7. BMP Signaling

8. Lgr5

9. Proteasome Inhibitors

10. Beta Catenin Signaling

Comment

• EXprettyboy
      • Sep 2011

I think this will be my last post. I've gained about as much consolation as a person can from knowing that I'm not abnormal in my emotional response to hairloss... that was important.
      But I believe reading about other peoples hair loss depression and hopeless misery for an extended period will only serve to ruin me entirely. I am a man of action, and I believe discussing ineffective treatments constantly, and telling each other how horrible we feel is negative and unproductive. It's depressing.

I of course hope that one of these companies will announce in the near future that they've done it, they have an effective treatment for MPB.

As regards my idea to get together and do something productive and proactive and attack this thing together ourselves,....I realize that not everybody is as ambitious as I am, and it's not my place to preach to others about the appropriate communal response. But I honestly feel if there were a 100 intelligent men willing to devote themselves to the cause in their spare time we could achieve somthing. **** it. I don't want to talk about this any more, about balding, about a means of curing it, about ****ing rogaine.

I know in my heart that if I am to feel thoroughly satisfied and fulfilled in my youth, I can't do it norwood 2+. There have been beautiful females in my path that have been ambiguous in their response to me (I'm still attractive and relatively young), that haven't been 'taken'. I haven't got the confidence. As I said before I'm gonna treat my own hairloss with a renewed enthusiasm and that will buy me a year of looking 'not bald yet'.

Overall I've been blessed with a good genetic hand across the board but it's all wasted if I walk around bald and depressed and '****ed up'.

And that is why I am willing to read about stem cells, hormones, free radicals and dna. Because my life's value is threatened by hairloss more than any other obstacle. I am obliged to respond. It is incumbent we react to threat. ....Just because nobody else has ever beaten this doesn't mean we couldn't. anyway Idle talk is pointless.

May we all be emotionally strong, and never lose the self love that makes being alive worthwhile.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
        • May 2011

It's complicated alright. I'm sure they could grow a great amount of hair tomorrow but that drug would also probably mess us up big time. Dr. DeYarmann seems to think HM is closer to 15 years off than 5.

I'm all for this organisation though. The more players in the field the better for all of us.

***Edit: Image fail. This is what I wanted to put up.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
          • May 2011

Originally posted by EXprettyboy
          International Society for Hair Rejuvination
          I like this one. Sounds legitimate and a name like this carries some clout. ISHR though is a little too similar to the ISHRS. I'd go with something like the International Hair Rejuvenation Association (IHRA).

Comment

• thegodlooking
            • Apr 2011

To Exprettyboy

Dear Exprettyboy
            I, my self has not only thought about it, but has done my best to make some progress, I call it a movement, and I, now can see there a lot of people out there who think same as me, so can you please leave your mail here for me, or any other means for me to contact you?

Comment

• thegodlooking
              • Apr 2011

I intuitively know that that first generation of redeemed former mpb victims are gonna be a ferocious bunch. Renewed vigor and and confidence will drive them to do extraordinary things. Emotions that they had blocked off 'forever' will overwhelm them. They will have gotten through a certain death of Identity and be reawakened to LIFE! Nobody else will understand. The strength we will derive from this difficult period will make us overcome anything. That first wave of desperate men will be free again, and they will be a formidable breed. They will be hungrier and more determined than other men. New confidence and freedom will spawn creativity, unstymied expression and AMBITION.

For later generations it wont be an issue. MPB will never be enough of an issue to drive men to edge like this again. They won't get it either. It will be an easily resolved flaw, that people don't think about twice.

For later Generations, they have the science, they may have the first mini-organ cloned in their hands, the first baby steps toward elimination of many diseases.

Comment

• maryquiryp
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row
                I like this one. Sounds legitimate and a name like this carries some clout. ISHR though is a little too similar to the ISHRS. I'd go with something like the International Hair Rejuvenation Association (IHRA).
                I, my self has not only thought about it, but has done my best to make some progress, I call it a movement, and I, now can see there a lot of people out there who think same as me, so can you please leave your mail here for me, or any other means for me to contact you?

Comment

• gmonasco
                  Inactive
                  • Apr 2010

I truly believe that if a scientist or doctor was suffering from baldness, they would be totally more eager to bring an effective cure to fruition rather than just testing on mice or keep on offering the same old hair transplants.
                  Yawn.

See http://www.menshealth.com/spotlight/...-baldness3.php

Dr. Washenik remains confident. "The sooner we figure this out, the better," he says. "So many people are waiting for this technology. I know that with every medical advance, the first one to market becomes the leader, and everyone else plays catch-up." Like many of the scientists I meet, his passion for a cure is personal. "I started going bald at 25," he says, tussling his hair to flaunt his 2,200-graft transplant. "While I was working on my Ph.D., I was mixing up homemade minoxidil [the active ingredient in Rogaine] in my lab."

Comment

• hdude46
                    • Aug 2009

We are in pain... this ailment torments us, We can't even forget it because it is literally always 'on our mind'.

We spend alot of our money on anything that might help.

Who cares about this issue more than us? ...nobody.
                    Time and time again we wait for months on end, for some multi national corporation to come up with a lack luster treatment, and then exploit the shit out of our insecurity for big money. Hat's of to the companies that are the real deal though, they're our only hope.

Here's my proposal :

There are enough of us to set up are own Non-profit organisation dedicated to a cure. If we all contributed a small donation, we could set up our own facility, A laboratory staffed by motivated scientists. Spencer could be CEO.

Why would we do that?
                    1>We would no longer be held by the balls by these companies, we would be a strong independent organisation, united.

2>We would never be in the dark about progress.

3>We would feel like we are part of the biggest movement ever formed to cure this.

4>If we hit the jackpot we would not be financially exploited, we would be the owners of the cure.

5>Everybody here knows how deep this runs for us, nobody would work harder than us. We could even publish every detail of the science on the internet daily. People like you and me could have access to the research from home and a cult of part-time scientists would be born, It would be a legitamit past time when your depressed! All those baldies with sky high I.Q.s put to work.

Take wikipedia for example, one of the biggest website's in the world self funded. Can you imagine the power of a website and laboratory that we owned? the bald population at least pro-actively preoccupied. I think we should suggest this to spencer for discussion on his radio-show.

Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

• Jan 2012

Originally posted by Scorpion
                      I support the cause. Can you elect me chairman of your organization?

I promise not to spend that money on plastic surgeries or anything.
                      I'm reporting your every post

Comment

• jman91
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 2020
                        I'm reporting your every post
                        no point man, spencer takes scorpion seriously, he'll never boot him...tbf he is quite funny

Comment

• ZZZ
                          • Apr 2012

this is srsly a good idea. I'd donate some money for sure

Comment

• alex82
                            • Feb 2012

Totally a good idea man. Can you imagine if every hairloss sufferer supported this cause? Reckon we really would have a significant improvement in treatments in 5 years. Instead of the BS were consistently fed from these start ups looking for investment only to sell the company or flop completely!

Comment

Working...