Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dini84
    • Sep 2011

blood test Testosterone is ok!!

Hi, i am having hair loss, and i am 28 . I had blood test and they were all okay. Even testosterone blood test was okay, very normal.

If my testosterone is okay, how come they say that the testosterone is the problem for my hair loss???
    Also i have to say that i have some kind of dundruff in my head, maybe in all of it, and often it makes me scratch my head.

can anyone tell me waht to do??!
  • mattj
    Doctor Representative
    • Oct 2009

From wikipedia: "Men with androgenic alopecia typically have higher levels of 5-alpha-reductase, lower levels of total testosterone, higher levels of unbound/free testosterone, and higher levels of total free androgens including DHT."

Note that they say typically. Testosterone levels falling within a normal range really doesn't tell you very much when it comes to male pattern hairloss. As a indicator of whether you do have male pattern hairloss or not, the visible signs are much more important than blood tests.

Also remember that it's a combination of hormones and genetics that cause a man to start going bald, which means that blood hormone tests are completely missing a vital part of the picture.

To put it simply, DHT is the hormone implicated in male hairloss, and drugs such as Propecia (Finasteride) help with hairloss by stopping testosterone from converting into DHT.
    Last edited by mattj; 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

Working...