+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by 57mph View Post
    Brilliant post exprettyboy!

I agree with everything you just typed up.

Hey, just make sure you stay on the forum whilst your at college yeah, i reckon you've more good stuff to say.

...anyway your college days - good luck mate!

Regards,
    57mph

ha, my advice is to not come back to this website while at college, just go out and have a good time, chicks dig that

<QUOTE>I intuitively know that that first generation of redeemed former mpb victims are gonna be a ferocious bunch. Renewed vigor and and confidence will drive them to do extraordinary things. Emotions that they had blocked off 'forever' will overwhelm them. They will have gotten through a certain death of Identity and be reawakened to LIFE! Nobody else will understand. The strength we will derive from this difficult period will make us overcome anything. That first wave of desperate men will be free again, and they will be a formidable breed. They will be hungrier and more determined than other men. New confidence and freedom will spawn creativity, unstymied expression and AMBITION.</QUOTE>

I completely agree with you exprettyboy. I was 22 when I first noticed I was thinning, and it crept up on me fast. I was emotionally blown away, and I had various bouts of depression and sadness because I was generally unaware of any hope for those who are thinning and thought I was doomed to miss out on being a young adult with hair.

But then I found these forums, and started reading. I learned all about Histogen, Replicel, Aderans, Follica, etc. At the same time I went out and got on finasteride (1.25mg daily) and minoxidil. And in the short time I've been on them my thinning hair has nearly completely returned! I'm 23 now and I'm perfectly comfortable with my hair. I actually already feel somewhat relieved. I'm not depressed anymore and I can function with my daily life and pursue my goals (I've always been ambitious, something I feel like I lost in my depression when I realized I was thinning). I'm certainly still nervous, as my current treatments are only temporary. But I feel like there's hope that I can last until an effective treatment comes to market. Spencer said in his interview with G.N. from Histogen "If you're just starting to thin, there's a good chance you'll never have to live as a bald person."

I genuinely have a lot of empathy for anyone experiencing hair loss. Before I was experiencing it myself it was something I just never thought about, I had a busy enough life.

But you're right exprettyboy, if the 'cure' comes out in 2014 or 2015 I'll immediately sign up. And immediately after my treatment I'm going to do a backflip out of the office. I will have a strong appreciation for my hair, and I will feel like I've dodged a very big bullet. Even if this doesn't happen in 2014/15 I take a lot of comfort in knowing that it's virtually guaranteed I will have a full head of hair by the time I'm my father's age. It's coming, hair loss probably isn't 'forever' anymore.

^^^ u just made my day better cuz of ur optimism

Quote Originally Posted by EXprettyboy View Post
    I'm new to the forum and I've been doing some web research lately as a means of coping with a recent bout of depression triggered by 2 mirrors and harsh light.
    Same here EXprettyboy, I caught sight of the exposed HT punch marks in the back of my head one day in a retail changing room which sent me into a depression and lead to my second HT!

But, I share your optimism about future treatments.

I'll tell you a short story which I think is relevant (and because I'm anon on here too!).

Years ago, in my early 20s, I had an impotence problem and it was ruining my life. In desperation I went to see a doctor who prescribed a treatment called Caverject. Now, anyone familiar with this will know that it's an anti-erectile dysfunction medication that you inject directly into the pen*s! Ouch. Man, the things we go through!

Anyway, the treatment didn't work for me despite several attempts and I sank further into depression and eventually attempted suicide.

Fast forward a few years and a little blue pill comes along and does what I could only have dreamt of and cures impotence, just like that, cured. And then further, better treatments became available.

When I think back to the misery and anguish, the painful injections and subsequent faliure, and how it was all resolved by a breakthrough in medical science, it gives me hope that the one other thing that causes me anguish (but not to the same terrible degree though) may also be cured, one day, just like that.

Maybe even in a little pill, who knows?!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Piscium View Post
    Same here EXprettyboy, I caught sight of the exposed HT punch marks in the back of my head one day in a retail changing room which sent me into a depression and lead to my second HT!

But, I share your optimism about future treatments.

I'll tell you a short story which I think is relevant (and because I'm anon on here too!).

Years ago, in my early 20s, I had an impotence problem and it was ruining my life. In desperation I went to see a doctor who prescribed a treatment called Caverject. Now, anyone familiar with this will know that it's an anti-erectile dysfunction medication that you inject directly into the pen*s! Ouch. Man, the things we go through!

Anyway, the treatment didn't work for me despite several attempts and I sank further into depression and eventually attempted suicide.

Fast forward a few years and a little blue pill comes along and does what I could only have dreamt of and cures impotence, just like that, cured. And then further, better treatments became available.

When I think back to the misery and anguish, the painful injections and subsequent faliure, and how it was all resolved by a breakthrough in medical science, it gives me hope that the one other thing that causes me anguish (but not to the same terrible degree though) may also be cured, one day, just like that.

Maybe even in a little pill, who knows?!
    From one man to another: I feel inspired by your pen*s story!

Yeah the anonymity is great!.... I didn't think actually committing my inner most anguish about this problem of mine to written language would make a difference, but after years of keeping all this stuff to myself, to finally tell people ...the truth is somewhat emotionally helpful.

" I am losing my hair and I'm depressed about it. I use Rogaine. I even use a laser comb."

Nobody I know personally, Knows that shit about me. If they did I would be ridiculed and humiliated. Talking with guys in the exact same position makes me feel better.

We don't know each other on one level, but on another level you know me better than anybody. I feel the same.

Yeah, this hairloss problem really needs resolving. I will not just accept it. If I ever make some real money in my life through success, I will spend my time working on a cure. That may seem absurd to most of you, but I don't like ignoring problems and living in denial. I would at least feel like I'm actually dealing with a real issue that runs deep for me. dealing with the truth. working on an answer instead of waiting for one. I'm good at problem solving. Maybe I'll get an opportunity to solve this one. Thats essentially how scientific progress is made. Something occurs to a single man, a hypothosis, which then gets tested. Eventually one holds true. I've a thread in the 'start your own topic' section (it's called 'I'm dead serious') about some of us who feel this way possibly setting up a non-profit organisation. It would be composed of like minded people who contribute to possibly a lab facility with researchers under are direction, and a website that publishes all the science about hairloss and their daily research findings. A world wide user base learn and postulate the possible answers to this MPB puzzle. We could be part of the biggest and purest movement to get the cure ever organised. no profit considerations and distraction, just the answer, the cure.

I can't bear to just wait for the cure any longer. I'm a proactive person. I like independance. Usually when I face a problem in life I stand back after initial failure, think about what it would take to win, then execute and absolutely annihilate whatever barriers were previously hold me back...

But hairloss is beating me, It's currently the only thing that's ever completely worn me down and left me with no response.

Even if we cant organise a movement like that, ...I'm satisfied I tried. Next step For me is to go the library and get some biology and biotech books. I don't need to wait for a company to rip me off for a weak treatment, and If people don't want to commit themselves to doing this with me, thats fine.

I have a problem. I'm gonna see if I can solve it. even if I'm not successful I feel better trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    From one man to another: I feel inspired by your pen*s story!
    I probably brought a tear to the eye too!

Piscium, very well put, well told!

I'll have a little spring in my step today after reading your pen*s post, haa.

That small summing up has given me a great deal hope, woh.

57mph

First post here, this is a very interesting thread with some brilliant posts.

I was like ExPB, doing once a year 'forum inspection' to see if something new appeared. Usually only got "tests on rats will happen soon blablabla". This time I decided to post because I wished to discuss or especulate 'how much' the much-waited *cure* will cost.

My story, trying to be short because it's basically the same as many people here:
    36 years old white male, started balding at 19 or 20, tried propecia and regaine with very little results, perhaps kept hair up to when I was 26-27 years, but in a very awful state (hair was dry, ugly, thin), and decided to shave it all off Bruce Willis style when I was 28, and here I am. Basically fed up of having the same look (fully shaved bald head) for nearly 8 years. Was NW5 when shaved it all off, possibly I'm NW6/7 now, I don't know precisely since I try to not bother too much with this, it brought enough distress to my life so much that I basically lost my 20's completely.

I basically look for these new stuff, something new must appear, just like the blue pill mentioned in Piscium's story. I'm curious to know how much it will cost, as some mentioned that are already saving for this supposed cure. It should be somehow acessible, so the makers of such 'miracle pill' can have a broader market.