+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Let me get this straight....

I'm new to the forum and I've been doing some web research lately as a means of coping with a recent bout of depression triggered by 2 mirrors and harsh light.
    Anyway I would like to make sure I am completely up to date with all the best treatment hopes in the near future, by running the main things I've learned passed you guys. If I've missed anything substantial please enlighten me.

1. The most appealing possibility is being proposed by REPLICEL. They will isolate dermal sheath cups and multiply them in culture, then reinject them into the scalp where they will rejuvenate dormant follicles as well as create brand new ones. Hair will grow at the right angle giving a natural look. We should know if they're onto something by March 2012.

2. Histogen are developing a hair stimulating complex that is derived from cells grown in embryonic conditions. The product will contain growth factors and proteins that should stimulate growth.They've been delayed by a lawsuit and the earthquake, but When is this gonna be finished it's trial? will it be available in japan first? (cos I'm there if it is!)

3. Aderans, seem confident they will be able to clone follicle cells and reinject them, they call it 'ji gami'. I don't know if this will be as natural looking as replicel but beggars can't be choosers. Am I right in thinking 2014 is the anticipated public launch date??

4. George Cotsarelis, discovered wounding growth windows for wnt proteins years ago and founded follica. Last year discovered baldies still have hair stem cells in their scalps, which just need a kick start. (Yale researchers have found certain fat cells could be the signallers). I would love to see these guys do somethin' because, the results would be an actual expression of your own dna blueprints. It would be the shape of your own hairline, because it's your own stem cells being activated. Cotsarelis always says maybe within ten years. (well at least he's honest)

5. Intercytex and berlin technical university have generated a follicle from stem cells, they may be able to repeat this in the scalp. I don't really know the science on this one or the timeframe. Anybody??

OK I think they are the best hopes for the next few years. I'm sick of minoxidil and lasers, and they're not ****ing working any more. I'm running out of time here! I reckon I can hold on another year before I start to lose control of it.
    Anyway have I missed anything? Is there any other Massive company on the verge of making history that we know of?

Cool

Hi ExPB ..good research ,im wondering though, if one has had a HT these procedures your talkinig about will still have the desired affect opposed to not have had an HT .

I'm just going by intuition here and some basic biology knowledge but I don't think it matters if you've had a hair transplant or not. It's basically a hair follicle successfully implanted into human tissue. I don't think growth factors or dermal cup sheath cells "care" if the hair was from a HT or not. And even if transplanted hairs didn't respond (I'm sure they would though) The procedures would still do their magic around them in the surrounding scalp.

Excellent summary. pretty much covers everything hopeful while excluding the trivial mice experiments. We might not have a sudden break through since Einstein or Newton in our age (if there are any) don't care about hair loss. But since science especially bioscience goes by cycles, I keep the hope that a more efficient treatment for baldness from the biology angle is right on the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by EXprettyboy View Post
    I'm new to the forum and I've been doing some web research lately as a means of coping with a recent bout of depression triggered by 2 mirrors and harsh light.
    Anyway I would like to make sure I am completely up to date with all the best treatment hopes in the near future, by running the main things I've learned passed you guys. If I've missed anything substantial please enlighten me.

1. The most appealing possibility is being proposed by REPLICEL. They will isolate dermal sheath cups and multiply them in culture, then reinject them into the scalp where they will rejuvenate dormant follicles as well as create brand new ones. Hair will grow at the right angle giving a natural look. We should know if they're onto something by March 2012.

2. Histogen are developing a hair stimulating complex that is derived from cells grown in embryonic conditions. The product will contain growth factors and proteins that should stimulate growth.They've been delayed by a lawsuit and the earthquake, but When is this gonna be finished it's trial? will it be available in japan first? (cos I'm there if it is!)

3. Aderans, seem confident they will be able to clone follicle cells and reinject them, they call it 'ji gami'. I don't know if this will be as natural looking as replicel but beggars can't be choosers. Am I right in thinking 2014 is the anticipated public launch date??

4. George Cotsarelis, discovered wounding growth windows for wnt proteins years ago and founded follica. Last year discovered baldies still have hair stem cells in their scalps, which just need a kick start. (Yale researchers have found certain fat cells could be the signallers). I would love to see these guys do somethin' because, the results would be an actual expression of your own dna blueprints. It would be the shape of your own hairline, because it's your own stem cells being activated. Cotsarelis always says maybe within ten years. (well at least he's honest)

5. Intercytex and berlin technical university have generated a follicle from stem cells, they may be able to repeat this in the scalp. I don't really know the science on this one or the timeframe. Anybody??

OK I think they are the best hopes for the next few years. I'm sick of minoxidil and lasers, and they're not ****ing working any more. I'm running out of time here! I reckon I can hold on another year before I start to lose control of it.
    Anyway have I missed anything? Is there any other Massive company on the verge of making history that we know of?

Yeah it at least gives some realistic hope of an acceptable solution ....I mean a couple of years ago I went online with no Idea what kind of solutions were being proposed and was absolutely horrified at some of the suggestions. That might be interesting to discuss:

The first one I recall was some sort of scalp adjustment surgery where they remove a chunk of bald scalp, then fold and stretch and stitch the rest up to leave you without a bald spot. ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS??? legitimate doctors thinking that this is anything more than a bad joke is baffling. Being a hairloss sufferer and reading that on a major hairloss website as a viable option was enough to make me lose all hope. It's just ridiculous. butchery.

Another treatment I can think of that astounds me with it's absurdity, but depresses me that some big hairloss organisations are considering is beard/body hair Transplanting.... I go away from the internet research for over 2 years and leave these credible corporations to come up with some solutions, and I return to find them presenting this RIGHT NOW in Alaska ISHRS annual meeting. Spongey coarse beard hair on my head?? body hair : back hair, under arm hair, pubes and chest hair and fine leg hair, ON MY HEAD?? ...Thank **** for the other companies!!!

To a lesser extent, the dilema proposed by propecia just adds insult to injury. "We have a drug for hairloss!!!" ....With the worst side affect in the world.

It's an undignifying condition, and you have done nothing to deserve it, and there's nothing you can do to grow hair YET... but were getting closer, as russell crowe roars in gladiator to his troops facing the enemy "HOLD THE LINE" (the hairline that is!)

Intercytex is out of business they sold their research to Aderans.

Exprettyboy, hairloss is like a soap opera, you have your main characters both good and bad, same shoddy storylines and same old viewers watching it all pan out in front of them.

You could not watch a soap opera for months yet when you do tune in, good characters have become bad, then bad to good, same shoddy storylines with pretty much the same viewers tuning in just incase there is something worth watching, me included!

Of course you will always have your christmas specials which keeps you coming back for more but, well, i for one feel i can tune out then back in again and nothing will have changed.

We all love a far fetched storyline though eh!

I just hope i'm watching said soap opera when it really has changed for the better.

57mph

Yes I do my rounds of the hairloss forums about once a year, although this is the first time I've ever joined and contributed, normally I just read.
    I usually start depressed about the hairloss, read and contemplate, then find hope. This will inspire me to add a treatment to my regime and get my shit together. After about 5 months My hair is usualy looking decent with lots of discipline.
    But I always end up falling apart and going back to square 1. I've been doing well for myself up until this point, but I think I am running out of time now. I have one more year left in me, The thinning has commenced, the temples are breaching the limits of cosmetic acceptability.
    Whats Ironic is that balding ruined my life before it even got going. Now that it is happening, I'm dealing with it better than I expected.
    I am literally surviving on my last months of having hair, and I am optimistic that a biotech savior is on it's way.

Even if they don't cure the condition, I would be overjoyed just to get a one off treatment that would preserve whats left and allow me to stop taking minoxidil twice a day, and stop laser combing everyday. I would be free even if they did that much. It would be a bridge to a cure in the future. We are well OVERDUE that advance. Rogaine is nearly older than me!! I'm 25 years old. I could still attain the confidence I crave while I'm young.

I'd say countless great men in history never reached their potential because of balding weakening their self esteem. What a shame. I hope we don't fall into that category. Redemption is tantalizingly close!

Quote Originally Posted by EXprettyboy View Post
    Yes I do my rounds of the hairloss forums about once a year, although this is the first time I've ever joined and contributed, normally I just read.
    I usually start depressed about the hairloss, read and contemplate, then find hope. This will inspire me to add a treatment to my regime and get my shit together. After about 5 months My hair is usualy looking decent with lots of discipline.
    But I always end up falling apart and going back to square 1. I've been doing well for myself up until this point, but I think I am running out of time now. I have one more year left in me, The thinning has commenced, the temples are breaching the limits of cosmetic acceptability.
    Whats Ironic is that balding ruined my life before it even got going. Now that it is happening, I'm dealing with it better than I expected.
    I am literally surviving on my last months of having hair, and I am optimistic that a biotech savior is on it's way.

Even if they don't cure the condition, I would be overjoyed just to get a one off treatment that would preserve whats left and allow me to stop taking minoxidil twice a day, and stop laser combing everyday. I would be free even if they did that much. It would be a bridge to a cure in the future. We are well OVERDUE that advance. Rogaine is nearly older than me!! I'm 25 years old. I could still attain the confidence I crave while I'm young.

I'd say countless great men in history never reached their potential because of balding weakening their self esteem. What a shame. I hope we don't fall into that category. Redemption is tantalizingly close!

same boat

i'm about to lose it i cant last much longer

I couldnt go anywhere without getting hit on

now I only get hit on if I'm wearing a hat

its definitely ripped the soul out of my chest and ruined my personality

i hate hearing these older guys complain... hey guys half of the people your age are bald. Less than a third of my competition is even receding

Same here NeedHairASAP..
    Going off to university with a receding hailine is ****ing devastating. And to top that, I've got a small head as well. Pretty well right ****ed over here. Confidence is out the window, getting rather depressed.