+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pain From Linear Scar

Hi all, sorry if there is already a thread on this, I couldn't find it:

I am soon to undergo a large strip procedure, though I have concerns over long-term pain and sensitivity from the large scar at the back of the head.

*I am hoping to hear from anyone who has had this procedure (in the last few years) and how long it took for the scar to stop causing pain.*

Does it stay sensitive for long? I have had small stitches in my head previously, and they were tender for years...

Also, does the tightness in the scalp ever go away?

Any info is highly appreciated. Thanks guys,

Ben

I have had 5400 grafts extracted from my donor via strip in two sessions.

I never experienced any real pain in my donor area but it did feel tight for a while after the procedure. It felt better when I had the sutures removed. The numbness can last a while. I am now 4 months post op and the feeling in the donor area is slowly returning. In can take 12 months to fully return or in some cases it never will be the same as before.

Everyone is different and heals in different ways so it is down to your own physiology.

Good luck. Who is your Doctor?

Hey El Nino,

Many thanks for the reply. I am attending the Knudsen Clinic in Melbourne AU.

So no pain medication was needed in the days following the surgery?

My Doctor has recommended 2 procedures (one for front half and another for rear) to be done 12 months apart.

Having been through recovery, would you ever do it again if you needed to, like my situation dictates?

Thanks again,

Ben,

Please may i offer some advice. I would highly recommend you stand fast and do not rush into this. After looking at the clinic you mention i personally have some concerns for you. Micro Grafting and scalp reductions are outdated procedures - These are offered at the clinic you are proposing to have work done at : http://www.hair-surgeon.com/
    Research, research, research!!!

Have you consulted any world leading surgeons? Have you met patients from this clinic? How long have you been researching ??

I am not here in anyway to pouch but rather EDUCATE.

Please press "pause" and do not move forward until you are 100% confident this clinic you mention are the real deal and are performing state of the art modern ultra refine HT's, because i highly doubt they do.

Best
    Spex
    Last edited by Spex; 09-15-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Hi Spex,

Thanks for the concern. I'm sure you have the purest of intentions being an independent, former HT patient yourself. Where and what did you have done?

I have consulted a handful of surgeons and the general consensus appears that; as I need nearly 4,000 grafts, my options are very limited.

The last thing I want to do is cut a massive hole in my head and place somewhere else but I am coming to grips with it slowly.

So if you could please elaborate on your comment, it would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benlach View Post
    Hey El Nino,

Many thanks for the reply. I am attending the Knudsen Clinic in Melbourne AU.

So no pain medication was needed in the days following the surgery?

My Doctor has recommended 2 procedures (one for front half and another for rear) to be done 12 months apart.

Having been through recovery, would you ever do it again if you needed to, like my situation dictates?

Thanks again,
    Hi Ben,

I used pain meds for a couple of days post and I did do it again, I have had two HTs.

But I really couldn't agree more with Spex. Please reconsider because that clinic is still performing really poor and outdated procedures.

Hope this helps.

Spex & El Nino:

RE your replies (here & other forum) - could you please elaborate and be specific.

From what I have read, the only solution for me is to cut my scalp, sew it up and insert those hairs on the top of my head. Is there some new techniques that I'm not aware of.

People keep telling me this is "dated" etc, but please - how else is this to be done?

I looked into Feller and Rahal and it seems they are doing exactly that, as per my local surgeon.

Respectfully - Ben

Quote Originally Posted by benlach View Post
    Spex & El Nino:

RE your replies (here & other forum) - could you please elaborate and be specific.

From what I have read, the only solution for me is to cut my scalp, sew it up and insert those hairs on the top of my head. Is there some new techniques that I'm not aware of.

People keep telling me this is "dated" etc, but please - how else is this to be done?

I looked into Feller and Rahal and it seems they are doing exactly that, as per my local surgeon.

Respectfully - Ben
    Hey mate, fellow aussie here. I would strongly suggest checking out Dr Woods. He is the pioneer in FUE I think.

I am not an expert but I believe micrografts are big follicle units and hardly anyone uses them anymore... not too sure though I hope other people can answer your questions.

Here's something i found from googling

Brief History of FUT

Follicular Unit Transplantation was conceived by Dr. Bernstein and first described in the medical literature in his landmark 1995 publication, “Follicular Transplantation.”1 FUT was a major advance over the, now obsolete, “mini-micrografting” hair transplant procedures that preceded it. In mini-micrografting, the graft sizes were arbitrarily determined by the hair restoration doctor, who would cut the donor tissue into different size pieces. These larger grafts, commonly known as “hair plugs,” might have contained up to 12 or more hairs, were bulky, and could produce a tufted appearance. They also could result in a dimpling of the underlying skin.

Again a bad transplant not something you want, I think you should check out DR woods.

Quote Originally Posted by uninformed View Post
    Hey mate, fellow aussie here. I would strongly suggest checking out Dr Woods. He is the pioneer in FUE I think.

I am not an expert but I believe micrografts are big follicle units and hardly anyone uses them anymore... not too sure though I hope other people can answer your questions.

Here's something i found from googling

Brief History of FUT

Follicular Unit Transplantation was conceived by Dr. Bernstein and first described in the medical literature in his landmark 1995 publication, “Follicular Transplantation.”1 FUT was a major advance over the, now obsolete, “mini-micrografting” hair transplant procedures that preceded it. In mini-micrografting, the graft sizes were arbitrarily determined by the hair restoration doctor, who would cut the donor tissue into different size pieces. These larger grafts, commonly known as “hair plugs,” might have contained up to 12 or more hairs, were bulky, and could produce a tufted appearance. They also could result in a dimpling of the underlying skin.

Again a bad transplant not something you want, I think you should check out DR woods.
    Ahh yeah thanks mate.

BUMP:

Hi all, sorry if there is already a thread on this, I couldn't find it:

I am soon to undergo a large strip procedure, though I have concerns over long-term pain and sensitivity from the large scar at the back of the head.

*I am hoping to hear from anyone who has had this procedure (in the last few years) and how long it took for the scar to stop causing pain.*

Does it stay sensitive for long? I have had small stitches in my head previously, and they were tender for years...

Also, does the tightness in the scalp ever go away?

Any info is highly appreciated. Thanks guys,

Ben