+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My introduction

Default My introduction

Hi, here is my brief introduction:

I’m a 38-year-old British male, started losing hair aged 24, had my first HT aged 26 and second aged 31. The first HT was the old punch method which left the back of my head looking like I had been experimented on by aliens, and the second HT – strip removal, single follicle – has helped to hide the first.

Now, I use Nanogen everyday (which really helps) and am excited about the new crop (no pun intended) of cellular-based treatments on the horizon.

To anyone considering a HT now, I would give you these 3 pieces of advice:

1. Ask your surgeon about the scarring as well as the results. The thick scar I have at the back of my head causes me more anxiety than anything else. Every so often a barber or hairdresser exposes it and sends me spiralling into a depression!
    2. Wait! From what I have read, new treatments are less than 5 years away and will give far superior results. When I first had a HT, treatments such as follicle multiplication were unimaginable. Now, I believe, they are a real possibility. If you can, hang on.
    3. Think very carefully before you commit. Once you go down the HT path there is no turning back, and you will likely spend the rest of your life trying to hide it, improve it or reverse it.

My final piece of advice would be to not think of a HT as your final solution to hair loss (well, not at the moment anyway). When I first had a HT, I thought that my hair loss problem would be solved once and for all. Now, 12 years and a further HT later, I use a hair loss shampoo, apply Nanogen daily and will have to have another HT when the tech has advanced sufficiently.

I resist using all the topical, oral or herbal remedies out there because I’d rather save my money and wait for a more permanent solution. And I believe that in my lifetime, that solution will come.

Interesting. I began losing hair at 18. Must have met a dozen or so HT docs during late 90s but decided against it. I think anyone who does enough research on the subject would arrive at same conclusions as urs.

Im not so optimistic abt a permanent solution (hope im wrong) but im curious to know - if time were to go back would u still undergo an HT or prefer to stay bald/natural.

Losing your hair in your late teens/early twenties is no fun. I was v unhappy and determined to do something about it. If I could magically undo the HTs I have had, I would, and shave my head. But I’m 38 now and it would be no big deal – most of my friends have bald or shaven heads – but back when I was 26 it was unthinkable.

I’ve signed up for the clinical trials of RepliCell in the UK and view this new kind of treatment as my best hope of turning back time!

Replicell.. that's fantastic! Keep us posted brother. The day I see a single picture of someone who has grown hair using stem cell therapy will be the happiest day of my life.