+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Are Women Your Motivation To Get Your Hair Back?

I started losing my hair when I was 18. College was a nightmare because I was the only guy in my group of friends who was going bald. I felt invisible to women.

Now I'm thinking about getting a HT and the main reason is I would like to be more successful with girls. I know I need to work on my confidence but I feel with more hair will come more confidence.

I just want to know if other guys feel the same way.

Also, have any of you ever tried online dating? Is it harder because you get judged on your picture first?

lol........it's too late to get my hair back but no it's not nor was it ever about women .

It was about feeling good about myself, how I looked , how I felt I presented myself .
    About having confidence and being somewhat more outgoign .
    As a shy person to begin with , hairloss made things worse for me IMO .

I avoided social outings , wanted to be left alone and all the rest of the BS that hairloss does to some people psychologically

11 yrs later , after `1 HT ( approx 1,900 grafts ) I now look back and wish I had the courage to have at least tried the brush cut when I noticed thinning at the temtples .

Now I am stuck with a thin look , bald crown and a big f*cking happy face scar ( if I cut it with less than a # 2 ).......so I take it one day at a time and make the best of a shitty situation

You get women with A) Money in your Pocket and B) Confidence.

Now confidence is something that when under 25 is defined and produced by how you actually look and how much of an alpha male you are. If you didn't experience a social metamorphosis after high school, it's highly unlikely you'll change in university or college.

After 25, even if you look like Brad Pitt, the only women who will be interested in if you DON'T have a good job/security/insurance plan will be white trash crazies and alkies and hags. Having lived that precise dream, I can tell thee it is not all that it is cracked out to be.

And finally, once age catches up with you, it doesn't really matter what's ON your head, but what's IN your head boyo.

Take heart.

My story: I always loved having hair because I like to look like a long-haired 80s rocker. I played in an 80s metal bar band for a couple of years back when I still had my long hair and I just loved looking like my rock n roll idols, guys like Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue and bands like Poison, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, etc. Ever since I was a kid, I always aspired to look like those guys and now I feel like that will never happen, and all because of some garbage genetics that I unfortunately inherited.
    With regards to women, it does affect me to a certain degree. Although I still force myself to talk to women (God knows I did this weekend!, but that's because I was so wasted), I still have this hair loss bullshit in the back of my mind. And I used to love to post my pictures on myspace and facebook, back when I had a full head of long hair. But now I'm not on either one of those sites because I can't bear the thought of posting a picture of myself thinning/balding.
    DAVE52: For me it is also about feeling good and confident about myself, however that's why I am so afraid of getting a hair transplant: I so desperately do not want that permanent linear scar. These doctors really have to start offering something else besides these goddamn hair transplants.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    ............I am so afraid of getting a hair transplant: I so desperately do not want that permanent linear scar.
    You like long hair , then there shouldn't be problem .
    Grow it long , cover the scar

Hey, Depressed, you actually DO look like your idols. Axl is bald and half of the other guys either wear wigs or have multiple transplants, all the time. They're just filthy rich so none of it matters to their playpens of bunnies.

Seriously though, transplants are NOT the solution. You could get a FUE operation that leaves no scar -hell, multiple FUE's even- but trouble is, unless you have really minor loss (NW3 with really thick, good hair on the rest of your head) the result you'll achieve will never be good enough for you to be able to wear your hair long. Transplants, at an 80% are garbage, they give an ILLUSION of density that is good for TV, not actual hair.

Plus, what with shock loss and propecia-for-life, transplants are really a 30/70 success/failure ratio at BEST.

Well, thankfully I'm not completely bald at all, just gaping receding hairlines and thinning on top. I heard Axl had some horrible hair transplants, but so many of those 80s metal musicians have naturally full heads of long hair: Vince Neil and Tommy Lee of Motley Crue, all the guys in Whitesnake and Tesla, Slaughter, Ratt, etc. There are some exceptions like Bret Michaels (wig) but not too many that I can tell.
    I agree that hair transplants are far from a solution. They can't even give you even half of the density that you used to have, and there is only so much hair that you can move from one place to another. True, I could cover the donor scar with long hair but I don't want to worry about covering scars on my head for the rest of my life. FUE even causes scars as well. And then I'd have to worry about a lifelong commitment to Propecia, which I think is causing me side effects as well. I just hate the idea of hair transplantation. But I appreciate the advice DAVE52, you seem like a decent person.

So, it's NOT about women and I should NOT get a hair transplant?

It was about feeling good about myself, how I looked , how I felt I presented myself .
    About having confidence and being somewhat more outgoign .
    And that had nothing to do with attracting women? You just wanted to do it for overall confidence?

Isn't what most of what guys do in life to attract women?

So if it's not to attract women, why try to get your hair back? Why spend time on a hair loss forum? Why do HT, Propecial, Minoxidil, etc?

YOU do it , or don't do it, for whatever reason YOU feel necessary .

May I ask what your age is ?

Hey Dave,

I know reasons may differ. I'm 25. I've been on Propecia since I was 18. I think I'd be a good candidate for a HT but I'm a little scared about it. I'm just wondering what others motivations are because I'm afraid mine are shallow.