+ Reply to Thread

Post What to do next? (Same story, same concerned youth)

Hello people, I've been reading this forum now for the past few weeks and I know these questions come up a lot but please bare with me.

I'm 19 and have been shedding hair around my pillow for probably around 6 months. I have very thick and above average length hair (though not beyond the shoulders) so I assumed this was normal and thought nothing of it.

A few months later I then noticed what I assumed was a mature hairline that had probably been developing for quite some time. This seemed a normal trait on my mother's side and it wasn't really that bad so once again I thought nothing of it.

It wasn't until I went on holiday where I used a different bathroom with very strong lighting that I noticed visibility on the scalp, particularly near to the crown and I was able to see more visibility on the scalp in general if I attempted to lift certain parts of my hair. After being in denial for about a week I begun to accept that this wasn't normal and made an appointment with the doctor.

My mother was constantly trying to reassure me that I wasn't going bald, that I had her family's hair and that this was all normal, my dad however had quite a bit of rapid hair loss in his early twenties. Even though I have very little in common with my dad's hair both in texture and crown growth I wasn't going to take any chances.

I went to the GP a few days ago and she believed that I was thinning. Obviously I asked about medication but she didn't seem to be in the know of these things, flat out telling me that "the practice doesn't give out propecia" and also having to look up a medical book to know what Minoxidil is and telling me it's pointless as it would hardly grow any hair at all, that I should accept the "cursed" genetics and let it go.

My hair loss at the moment is what I consider minuscule and impossible to notice from an outsider unless they did a thorough examination, but I'm quite neurotic about these things and if I don't at least try and slow down the hair loss at the least I will obsess over it until it kills me.

My question is this: based on the pictures below what should I do next? Propecia is out of the question as I can't get a prescription (and to be honest the less side-effect prone medications are preferable) I'm a uni student so I don't have a huge amount of money but definitely enough to get something of a reasonable price. I would love to be able to hang on to some of my hair for 10 years as (from what I've read) new treatments may very well be just around the corner and taking care of this will allow me to finally sleep easy for the first time in a month.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG000024.jpg

Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	11325

Name:	IMG000023.jpg

Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	11326

Name:	IMG000025.jpg

Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	11327

Name:	IMG000029.jpg

Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	11328

Thanks for any help, and I'm sorry if the worry of my hair comes across as petty at this point but I'd like to combat it as early as possible.

Get Rogaine if propecia is out of the question. Talk to your doctor about it.

By the way, how much shedding did you notice around your pillow?

Hi,

Are you in the uk?

If you are you can get an online prescription from lloyds chemist, My hair was long like your and now 9 months on is alot thinner. My biggest sign was hair loss in the shower, im not trying to scare you but try and catch it early. I wish I had instead of just leaving it like my useless gp told me. Any questions message me dude I know how you feel.

Well it didn't (and hasn't yet) come out in clumps, but throughout the week I'd be able to gather enough to make a decent pile. The hairs are often long and thick though and don't really show any signs of being thinner or weaker. I recently shedding during shampooing as well and it's normally around 5-10 hairs overall.

I'd talk to my doctor but they don't seem all that interested, whatever I get I will most probably have to fund myself. does the foam work as well as the minoxidil bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbo View Post
    Hi,

Are you in the uk?

If you are you can get an online prescription from lloyds chemist, My hair was long like your and now 9 months on is alot thinner. My biggest sign was hair loss in the shower, im not trying to scare you but try and catch it early. I wish I had instead of just leaving it like my useless gp told me. Any questions message me dude I know how you feel.
    Yep in the UK. I didn't know you could get perscriptions from Lloyd's Chemist online though. I am losing hair in the shower while I shampoo so I definitely will give it a go. It would be great if I could get some on prescription.

Does anyone know what medication I should pick? There seems to be a lot of specific types of each thing along with foams etc and I don't know which would be best for my case.