+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Researching my HT Procedure, all feedback welcome

Hi,

I have been reading this board for a few months and just registered today to be able to post. Here is my brief history:

Right now I am 27 years old. I first noticed some thinning of my hair around the age of 20, but was somewhat in deniel about it. I have always had very fine hair and noticed that in certain bright lighting, I could see right through my hair to my scalp. I would try to convince myself that's how my hair had always been, and that it wasn't getting worse, even though I kind of knew deep down it probably was.

Fast forward to a year ago, when I was 26 years old. I received the first unsolicited comment about my hair loss (from my older brother). This made me very insecure about it and I could no longer be in denial. The area most affected is the corners of my hairline. I have some minor recession in the middle front, but nothing serious. However, the sides of the hairline have receded quite significantly and due to my fine hair, I have very limited styling options which have all been pretty much wiped out by the recession. I also have some diffuse thinning on top, but have full coverage everywhere except for the receded hairline.

I got a prescription for Propecia at this time (one year ago), and it helped somewhat on top but not at all for the frontal hairloss. The thinning on the vertex filled in somewhat (but not 100%). The good news is that the hairloss seems to have completely stopped. I can run my hands through my hair and never come away with more than a hair or two. I never had the intense shedding that some people here describe (ie 50-100 hairs in the drain), but before the meds I could run my hand through and come away with a good 5-10 hairs, so there have definitely been some changes.

So, here I am, several months away from my 28th birthday, I've been on Propecia for going on a year, and I think I've seen all the improvement from it that I'm going to see and still want to take my results further and thus, I've decided to take the plunge and get a hair transplant.

I am attaching pics and would like everyone's opinion on how many grafts I'll need to achieve my goals, along with any other feedback advice. I haven't decided which surgeon to go to. I live in Maryland but am willing to travel anywhere in the USA to get this done. Please take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts.

My main goal is to fill in the receded temples and SLIGHTLY lower the hairline in the front, I want to significantly lower the corners of the hairline though and to hair it pretty densely packed. I would also like, if possible, to add some density all over the top. I am willing to pay for a 4000-5000 graft surgery (if need be) to achieve all of this.

I should also add that I have no family history of aggressive MPB. Most of the men in my family have hairline recession and thinning on top, but no one has anything even close to a horseshoe pattern with a shiny head on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02737.jpg

Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	11312   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02751.jpg

Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	11313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02754.jpg

Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	11314   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02755.jpg

Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	11315   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02752.jpg

Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	11316  

Try a brush cut first ..see if you are comfortable with it and can live with it .
    I would hate for you to go for a HT and not like the results
    Remember a HT isn't goign to give you a full head of hair but if done properly will give the illusion
    Cheaper to get the brush cut first , than to go through helll the rest of your life if it doesn't work out the way to had hoped it would
    Good luck in whatever you choose

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Try a brush cut first ..see if you are comfortable with it and can live with it .
    I would hate for you to go for a HT and not like the results
    Remember a HT isn't goign to give you a full head of hair but if done properly will give the illusion
    Cheaper to get the brush cut first , than to go through helll the rest of your life if it doesn't work out the way to had hoped it would
    Good luck in whatever you choose
    Bro I've tried everything in terms of hair cuts and styles, nothing looks good. It's not so much that my hair isn't full, it is, except for the receded hairline and mainly the temples. My hair looks a little worse in the pics I posted here because it's wet and because I have a flash on the camera I used.

Unless I went to 3 or 4 well respected HT doctors and they all told me I'm not a good candidate (which is highly unlikely because I have plenty of hair to work with and no family history of extensive baldness) I've all but made my mind up I'm going to get this done, I just don't know all the specifics of what I'll need/want for the procedure.

Dr Cole in Atlanta Georgia
    all the best in your quest

I know this is late but don't style your hair like that. Use something like a mouse/putty which makes hair look thicker compared to gels and wax's which make hair look thinner/wet

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    I want to significantly lower the corners of the hairline though and to hair it pretty densely packed
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Dr Cole in Atlanta Georgia all the best in your quest
    Dr. Cole does not exceed 45 grafts/cm^2 due to graft survival, i've been told. So 'dense packing' with him may be out of question....unless you call 45 grafts/cm^2 dense packing, which i don't believe many people do.

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Hi Gandolf,
    You asked for comments, so here goes:
    You look great in those pictures - as suggested by others, maybe use some different products to make it look at bit more dry and thick as the wet look makes it look thinner...

I am 10+ years older than you, if I were you, knowing what I know today - I would wait and see how my real mature headline will look say at 31-32 years old and stay on propecia (I take it as well and it usually stops hairloss). Then if you feel you still need a HT - you are 5 years further down - new technology, meds and knowledge etc

In the pics you have more hair now, than I do after a FUE HT with 2500 grafts (see my HT story in the link, if you are interested)
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...8662#post68662

I am so happy I waited more time, and did not make a NW1 hairline, as I was planning at around 28 years old some 10 years ago for many reasons - back then I could not have done a FUE, there were no forums, I would have chosen an inappropriate/not life long hairline etc.

As you get older, most of your friends will loose their hair and go partly or fully bald, and the women in your age (unless you will keep looking for women in early 20'ies - nothing wrong with that though :-) ), will look for mature men, who looks successful and seems to be mature farther material in their 40'ies and not like Justin Bieber...

Anyway - take my comments from what it is - ideas to support your decision making - a lot of people have given me input over the years on this... I am thankful I did a HT, but equally thankful I waited and did max research on it, before I went ahead.

Good luck... And to finish were I started - you have great looking hair for your age.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumVaughan94 View Post
    I know this is late but don't style your hair like that. Use something like a mouse/putty which makes hair look thicker compared to gels and wax's which make hair look thinner/wet
    Thanks for the tip. I actually don't style my hair like it is in these pictures. To show my hairline, I wet my hair and slicked it back because otherwise the pics wouldn't have shown my hairline.

When I am actually styling my hair, I use a product called Bumble and Bumble Sumotech which is a putty like you recommend and yes, it makes my hair much thicker and gives it a drier look.

Still-Researching,

Thanks for the insight. I actually did just book my procedure for early 2013. I'll be 29 at that time and while I know that is still a little young, I have been on Propecia for almost 2 years and my loss has completely stopped and I have no family history of aggressive hairloss.

I don't want to wait until I'm in my late 30's to have this done I feel most of my good years will have already passed me by at that point.

Your results look great. I definitely think Dr. Feriduni is the best in Europe when it comes to HTs.

Good luck Gandolf. I had my first HT at 28 and it was a great decision.

You have a low contrast between your scalp and hair colour so I am sure you'll get a great result.