+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair loss

Default Hair loss

My hair loss started in June 2011. I first noticed hair coming out more than normal in the shower, and in the hair brush. I went to the dr and they ran a bunch of different tests, CBC, IRON, VITAMIN D, TESOSTERONE, THYROID, all came out normal. My ferritin level was a little low, 21.. but it was 21 a few years ago as well and i didnt have hair loss. I am going in on Wednesday for a punch test on my scalp. I have shedding throughout my entire scalp, but on my neck i have lost a lot more hair. I have begun using rogaine foam 2x a day. The dermotologist thinks that i have Telogen Effluvium. I dont think i do only because i havent had any of the triggers. Please any advice i would appreciate! thank you ahead of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Collages.jpg

Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	11292  

You all will never get the best help here because of the restrictions by these mods.

Quote Originally Posted by crodriguez0572 View Post
    My hair loss started in June 2011. I first noticed hair coming out more than normal in the shower, and in the hair brush. I went to the dr and they ran a bunch of different tests, CBC, IRON, VITAMIN D, TESOSTERONE, THYROID, all came out normal. My ferritin level was a little low, 21.. but it was 21 a few years ago as well and i didnt have hair loss. I am going in on Wednesday for a punch test on my scalp. I have shedding throughout my entire scalp, but on my neck i have lost a lot more hair. I have begun using rogaine foam 2x a day. The dermotologist thinks that i have Telogen Effluvium. I dont think i do only because i havent had any of the triggers. Please any advice i would appreciate! thank you ahead of time.
    I'm not an expert, and none of us here is. If I were you, I would consult another dermatologist--for second opinion. Even though, you've done some testing, I would do some more--your case might be serious. Could you have been expose to something? How old are you? Your parents, have they had anything of such?

I'm bumping this up for others' opinions.

I have the same symptoms and started at the same time as you, except Im not losing that much on my neck.
    Please keep us updated! Good luck and god bless.

I am 26 years old, my parents both have full heads of hair..

You all will never get the best help here because of the restrictions by these mods.

Since we are not allowed to post a link, I extracted these for you (from reputable sites). I'm sure you've done your research, but just in case:

"A typical and common case of telogen effluvium would be the episode of severe shedding of hair that may occur approximately 100 days after a woman has given birth. The inciting factor is probably the abrupt hormonal changes that occur at the end of pregnancy. All of the hair grows back within a year.

Other causes of telogen effluvium include illness, major physical trauma, menopause, crash diets, severe psychological stress, major surgery (especially with general anesthesia), hypo- or hyperthyroidism, anemia's, acute and severe blood loss, heavy metal poisoning, etc. Chronic illness such as malignancy, and any chronic debilitating illness, such as systemic lupus erythematosus, end-stage renal disease, or liver disease can cause telogen effluvium. Immunizations also have been reported to cause acute hair shedding. Even jet lag and job changes have been reported to cause a telogen effluvium. In the United States, oral medications may very well be the most common cause of telogen effluviums. The list of medications associated with telogen effluviums is extensive and includes retinoids, beta-blockers, anticoagulants, SSRI’s, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, calcium channel blockers, etc. In any and all cases, the common factor is metabolic or physiologic stress several months before the start of the hair shedding.

Treating Telogen Effluvium
    Because acute telogen effluvium is in reality a normal process, which occurred prematurely in a synchronized manner to a large number of hair follicles, and which resolves spontaneously, treatment can be limited to reassurance. The identifiable inciting factor should be avoided or discontinued or treated, whichever is appropriate. Assuming there is no intervening pathological process, all of the hair will be replaced in six to twelve months and the replacement hair should be identical to the hair that was shed.
    "

Another:

Alopecia Areata
    Alopecia Areata is classified as an autoimmune disease, although its cause is unknown. It can involve hair loss on the scalp or the body that occurs in small, round, smooth patches. It often affects healthy individuals. A family history of Alopecia Areata increases one's chances of developing it. Alopecia Areata is usually a temporary condition. Hair usually grows back, although it may take several years.

No one knows what activates Alopecia Areata. It is currently believed that the immune system suppresses the hair follicle. The cause for this is unknown. Research indicates that genetics may increase a person's susceptibility to develop Alopecia Areata, as well as the degree of its severity. One out of five persons with Alopecia Areata has a family member who has the disease.

This particular type of hair loss often occurs in families whose members have had Asthma, Hay fever, Atopic Eczema, or other autoimmune diseases such as Thyroid disease, early-onset Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus Erythesmatosus, Vitiligo, Pernicious Anemia, or Addison's disease.

"Dr. Reichman’s Bottom Line: If you have sudden hair loss and you've had previous physical stress, don’t freak. Once the stress is gone, you'll see regrowth of the hair in six months. If you're taking a new medication, find out if it causes hair loss. If it does, ask your doctor if you can stop taking that drug or change to another."

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Hopefully the scalp biopsy will give you some answers. Do you have any other scalp symptoms such as redness or itching? Does you have a strong family history of male pattern baldness?
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

My grandpa and uncle have a receding hair line, but they still have a bunch of hair throughout the scalp. Still waiting on the results. My derm sent the biopsy to a dermapathologist.