+ Reply to Thread

Default Recently started shaving my head (grade zero) and keep getting spots on my temples.

I've joined this forum in the hope that someone can help me out because this is really starting to get me down.

Over the last year my hair has started thinning at the front and around my crown, this doesn't really bother me too much as there is nothing I can do about it. Though it's not something I expected ever to happen as both my grandfathers died with a full head of hair and my Dad (63) still has all his hair and not gone grey either.

I've clipped my hair down to grade one or two when I've felt like over the years, but now it's thinning I've stepped down to grade zero as a permanent choice. However, I keep getting red spots (about four or five each side of my head) around my temples and where my beard meets my hairline.
    I've tried everything, from shaving in different directions and even exfoliating after I've shaved/showered, but nothing seems to stop them cropping up a few days afterwards.

In the Winter I didn't mind so much as I could wear my beanie, but over the Summer it's obviously been too hot, so I've had to shave at least once a week.

I have a feeling that it might be the tiny fine blonde hairs that are growing inwards, but I can't see why they would when there is still a good few mm of hair after I've finished. If this is the problem then I don't know what to do to solve it, is it likely to be my clippers? Would this happen if they were blunt? Maybe they are pulling the hairs out and the follicle is getting infected.

If I leave them they become painful and full of pus, if I squeeze them or attempt to dig something out then they go red and scabby. So either way I can't win, not shaving for a few weeks is the only way to let my skin calm down and repair, but then I start to get bothered about my hair getting too long and then shaving only starts it all off again.

Would really appreciate it if anyone else has experienced this and could give me a solution. I've never been prone to spots and never use a razor on my face as I prefer stubble, so having these red spots in such plain view is quite upsetting.

Thanks in advance.

you just have sensitive skin. buy a nice balding electric hair trimmer. like a reg hair trimmer but it has a very low profile blade n gets super close. so instead of using and actual blade once a week you could try that maybe twice a week. im shaved down to a 2 on top and 1 on the sides. as soon as i have start to shave it down to the skin i will use a balding electric hair trimmer. i know wahl has one for around 40 bucks.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

In some cases a mild steroid cream used in combination with a mild anti fungal cream used prior to shaving can prevent redness afterwards.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile