All Propecia users,,, come here please !!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NW777
    • May 2012

I took Finasteride a few years back and was on it for about 18 months and it slowed my hairloss but at a cost. After about the seventh month I started to notice morning erections decreasing and my sex drive waning. Now this is before the all the ED awarness, so it wasn't Psychosomatic. It left me with a D*ck as usless as a door knocker in a deaf ward. So I got off the stuff and suffered the wrath of the DHT Gods. Sex life went back to normal after a few months but then lost so much hair over the next two years that I found myself without a girlfriend, full of libido and no grilfriend to unleash it on. I was on a dry spell for a while before I just got the nerve to shaved it down and get back on the market. But the market is a lot different for the bald guy then it was when I had my full flowing locks. Maybe in hindsight I should have kept taking Fin and then got a little help from the other little blue pill.

Comment

• clandestine
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by NW777
      I took Finasteride a few years back and was on it for about 18 months and it slowed my hairloss but at a cost. After about the seventh month I started to notice morning erections decreasing and my sex drive waning. Now this is before the all the ED awarness, so it wasn't Psychosomatic. It left me with a D*ck as usless as a door knocker in a deaf ward. So I got off the stuff and suffered the wrath of the DHT Gods. Sex life went back to normal after a few months but then lost so much hair over the next two years that I found myself without a girlfriend, full of libido and no grilfriend to unleash it on. I was on a dry spell for a while before I just got the nerve to shaved it down and get back on the market. But the market is a lot different for the bald guy then it was when I had my full flowing locks. Maybe in hindsight I should have kept taking Fin and then got a little help from the other little blue pill.
      How old are you currently? How old when you started fin?

Comment

• stilted
        • May 2012

I am 35 and I've been on finasteride in some form or another (propecia and then generic fin 5mg chopped into quarters) since I was 21.

I have never had any side effects, sexual or otherwise.

I truly believe some people experience side effects because of finasteride, but there are a lot of other leading causes of sexual side effects in the MPB community.

The biggest one? Depression. Depression is a clinical illness and experiencing hairloss can easily throw anyone into a deep clinical depressive state. It doesn't happen to everyone, but if you are at the point where your hairloss is making you entertain the idea of taking a drug for the rest of your life and rubbing a foam on your head twice a day for the rest of your life, then I'll bet you're depressed as **** about losing your hair. And sexual performance always suffers when someone is depressed.

Comment

• ccmethinning
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by stilted
          I am 35 and I've been on finasteride in some form or another (propecia and then generic fin 5mg chopped into quarters) since I was 21.

I have never had any side effects, sexual or otherwise.

I truly believe some people experience side effects because of finasteride, but there are a lot of other leading causes of sexual side effects in the MPB community.

The biggest one? Depression. Depression is a clinical illness and experiencing hairloss can easily throw anyone into a deep clinical depressive state. It doesn't happen to everyone, but if you are at the point where your hairloss is making you entertain the idea of taking a drug for the rest of your life and rubbing a foam on your head twice a day for the rest of your life, then I'll bet you're depressed as **** about losing your hair. And sexual performance always suffers when someone is depressed.
          How effective has propecia been at slowing hairloss/regrowing hair in the 14 years you have been taking it? What is your family history of hairloss?

Comment

• stilted
            • May 2012

Originally posted by ccmethinning
            How effective has propecia been at slowing hairloss/regrowing hair in the 14 years you have been taking it? What is your family history of hairloss?
            While I'm beginning to lose ground a bit, my hairloss is purely in the vertex area. It started in my early 20's, and with propecia my balding stopped completely for 10 years and has only recently seemed to resume a bit. My father, his brother, and my grandfather are all completely bald. Everyone likes to say it's a maternal gene disorder, but my father's mother's father had a full head of hair and the same was true for my grandfather.

Here's hoping Histogen is the real deal, though. While it's worked well for me, I'd love to get off of drugs and foams and just live my life with a full head of hair!

Comment

• ccmethinning
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by stilted
              While I'm beginning to lose ground a bit, my hairloss is purely in the vertex area. It started in my early 20's, and with propecia my balding stopped completely for 10 years and has only recently seemed to resume a bit. My father, his brother, and my grandfather are all completely bald. Everyone likes to say it's a maternal gene disorder, but my father's mother's father had a full head of hair and the same was true for my grandfather.

Here's hoping Histogen is the real deal, though. While it's worked well for me, I'd love to get off of drugs and foams and just live my life with a full head of hair!
              Wow very inspiring. I'm in the same situation. I'm 20, and everybody on my dad's side is bald. It's great to hear that you bought 15 extra years of hair with propecia.

Comment

• Rootman
                • May 2012

Originally posted by BaldinLikeBaldwin
                That sounds like pure speculation and I'm not requesting you to provide one but I'm yet to read any study or scientific article claiming that DHT is in any way responsible for male libido.
                Yup, complete speculation with no data to support. Interesting theory, however.

I'm just trying to find the right dosing balance. Currently on 1 mg every three days. Thinking about going up to .5 every other after 30 days. It's still early as I started this regimen 2.5 weeks ago -

Has anyone else started on a low dose, maintained a low dose and had success?

Comment

• Hurts
                  • Apr 2011

I had sides on taking a 0.5mg pill every other day. The sides in the First 3 months were noticeable but nothing significant, but on the 4th month they became more noticeable and by the 5th month it was starting to get very difficult to stay erect. I quit and within a month I went back to normal.

I'm considering giving it another go as I'm receding pretty fast.

Comment

• Rootman
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Hurts
                    I had sides on taking a 0.5mg pill every other day. The sides in the First 3 months were noticeable but nothing significant, but on the 4th month they became more noticeable and by the 5th month it was starting to get very difficult to stay erect. I quit and within a month I went back to normal.

I'm considering giving it another go as I'm receding pretty fast.
                    Yikes - it seems like your sides took a while to kick in at least. Did you notice any positive effects on your hair while taking .5 every other day?

How long ago did you quit, Hurts? I stopped using it May of 2010 and just started a couple of weeks ago...

Comment

• Hurts
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Rootman
                      Yikes - it seems like your sides took a while to kick in at least. Did you notice any positive effects on your hair while taking .5 every other day?

How long ago did you quit, Hurts? I stopped using it May of 2010 and just started a couple of weeks ago...
                      It did thicken my hair slightly (say by 15-20%), interestingly my hair seemed to thicken much more around the time I got the unbearable sides (5th month) but it didn't stop me receeding (maybe slowed it down).

It has been almost exactly 5 months since I quit.

You should make a thread and keep us updated.

Comment

• Harris
                        • Mar 2012

ccmethinning question

ccmethinning im in the same boat as you where all my farthers side are bald im gald you benifited from propecia what age did they go bald? and was it diffuse thining im worrried that beacuse the gene is so strong I wont do well on Propecia I have been on the drug for 6 months no sides but still doesnt seem to be working when did you notice propecia worked for you/

Comment

• ccmethinning
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Harris
                          ccmethinning im in the same boat as you where all my farthers side are bald im gald you benifited from propecia what age did they go bald? and was it diffuse thining im worrried that beacuse the gene is so strong I wont do well on Propecia I have been on the drug for 6 months no sides but still doesnt seem to be working when did you notice propecia worked for you/
                          Dad was NW6 by 30. He has another brother that also went NW6 at 30, another brother that was NW4 at 30, NW5 at 40, and NW6 at 50, and another brother that is a NW3V at age 60. His father (mygrandfather) went NW6 around 35-40.

I am not on Propecia yet.

Comment

• rdawg
                            • Jun 2012

Been on it for about 2 weeks now, nothing so far.

has anyone with Vellus/Miniaturish hair experience thickening. I'm around a NW3, started thinning on top of the head and have alot of Vellus hair around the temples. I realize Propecia/Proscar doesn't regrow hair, but does it thicken Vellus hairs?

at least it's a decent solution to hold on to the hair you have, can't say people in the 90's had this option. Here's hoping Histogen or something else works in the next few years!

Comment

• SoothSayer
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Rootman
                              Yup, complete speculation with no data to support. Interesting theory, however.
                              Here is a basic overview of the physiology of erectile function from the Masters Mens Clinic, one of the largest facilities for men's health in North America. There is a lot that is not known about the endocrine system, but the connection between DHT and erectile function is not one of them.

Comment

• the_charger
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by SoothSayer
                                Here is a basic overview of the physiology of erectile function from the Masters Mens Clinic, one of the largest facilities for men's health in North America. There is a lot that is not known about the endocrine system, but the connection between DHT and erectile function is not one of them.

http://www.mastersmensclinic.com/mal...l_function.htm
                                .....this looks like an extremely weak source. Im frankly surprised you would even post this, and makes me seriously question your ability to see anything objectively. From all that I have seen, articles that come from anti aging clinics are almost unanimously BS. This clinic treats Andropause which isnt even a real condition as per the WHO. Try googling "Is Andropause Real?" and almost all of the articles come from similar anti-aging and herbal clinics (companies). Yes, it looks to be the largest clinic that treats a condition that isn't recognized as being real.

one really good example from this webpage is:

There is less tissue production of DHT that is critically necessary to full male sexual function and bodily well being
                                There isn't even a source to back up this statement! It sounds like the author enjoys reaching his own conclusions. It's pretty obvious why. Since the clinic operates on selling hormonal treatments, they are financially motivated to write articles that show their treatments work. Why dont you see these things too Sooth? Im not trying to pick on you, but when you repeatedly insult me, question my intelligence then go and post something like this, I just have to jump down your throat.

Ive said this so many times in the past and nobody even takes a shot at giving me an answer. if dutasteride eliminates 95% of DHT from the body, how is it even possible these men can have any erection at all? less than 5% of men taking that drug experience any erectile dysfunction...

It's really as simple as this. If DHT is extremely important and crucial for erectile functioning, then removing DHT would show an almost universal occurrence of erectile dysfunction. dutasteride removes 95% of DHT, but we still see a very low occurence of erectile dysfunction.

Comment

Working...