View Poll Results: Since you have used the drug, have you seen any sexual side effects?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have seen some sort of sexual side effects

39 43.33%
  • No, everything is fine

51 56.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

I took Finasteride a few years back and was on it for about 18 months and it slowed my hairloss but at a cost. After about the seventh month I started to notice morning erections decreasing and my sex drive waning. Now this is before the all the ED awarness, so it wasn't Psychosomatic. It left me with a D*ck as usless as a door knocker in a deaf ward. So I got off the stuff and suffered the wrath of the DHT Gods. Sex life went back to normal after a few months but then lost so much hair over the next two years that I found myself without a girlfriend, full of libido and no grilfriend to unleash it on. I was on a dry spell for a while before I just got the nerve to shaved it down and get back on the market. But the market is a lot different for the bald guy then it was when I had my full flowing locks. Maybe in hindsight I should have kept taking Fin and then got a little help from the other little blue pill.

Quote Originally Posted by NW777 View Post
    I took Finasteride a few years back and was on it for about 18 months and it slowed my hairloss but at a cost. After about the seventh month I started to notice morning erections decreasing and my sex drive waning. Now this is before the all the ED awarness, so it wasn't Psychosomatic. It left me with a D*ck as usless as a door knocker in a deaf ward. So I got off the stuff and suffered the wrath of the DHT Gods. Sex life went back to normal after a few months but then lost so much hair over the next two years that I found myself without a girlfriend, full of libido and no grilfriend to unleash it on. I was on a dry spell for a while before I just got the nerve to shaved it down and get back on the market. But the market is a lot different for the bald guy then it was when I had my full flowing locks. Maybe in hindsight I should have kept taking Fin and then got a little help from the other little blue pill.
    How old are you currently? How old when you started fin?

I am 35 and I've been on finasteride in some form or another (propecia and then generic fin 5mg chopped into quarters) since I was 21.

I have never had any side effects, sexual or otherwise.

I truly believe some people experience side effects because of finasteride, but there are a lot of other leading causes of sexual side effects in the MPB community.

The biggest one? Depression. Depression is a clinical illness and experiencing hairloss can easily throw anyone into a deep clinical depressive state. It doesn't happen to everyone, but if you are at the point where your hairloss is making you entertain the idea of taking a drug for the rest of your life and rubbing a foam on your head twice a day for the rest of your life, then I'll bet you're depressed as **** about losing your hair. And sexual performance always suffers when someone is depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by stilted View Post
    I am 35 and I've been on finasteride in some form or another (propecia and then generic fin 5mg chopped into quarters) since I was 21.

I have never had any side effects, sexual or otherwise.

I truly believe some people experience side effects because of finasteride, but there are a lot of other leading causes of sexual side effects in the MPB community.

The biggest one? Depression. Depression is a clinical illness and experiencing hairloss can easily throw anyone into a deep clinical depressive state. It doesn't happen to everyone, but if you are at the point where your hairloss is making you entertain the idea of taking a drug for the rest of your life and rubbing a foam on your head twice a day for the rest of your life, then I'll bet you're depressed as **** about losing your hair. And sexual performance always suffers when someone is depressed.
    How effective has propecia been at slowing hairloss/regrowing hair in the 14 years you have been taking it? What is your family history of hairloss?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmethinning View Post
    How effective has propecia been at slowing hairloss/regrowing hair in the 14 years you have been taking it? What is your family history of hairloss?
    While I'm beginning to lose ground a bit, my hairloss is purely in the vertex area. It started in my early 20's, and with propecia my balding stopped completely for 10 years and has only recently seemed to resume a bit. My father, his brother, and my grandfather are all completely bald. Everyone likes to say it's a maternal gene disorder, but my father's mother's father had a full head of hair and the same was true for my grandfather.

Here's hoping Histogen is the real deal, though. While it's worked well for me, I'd love to get off of drugs and foams and just live my life with a full head of hair!

Quote Originally Posted by stilted View Post
    While I'm beginning to lose ground a bit, my hairloss is purely in the vertex area. It started in my early 20's, and with propecia my balding stopped completely for 10 years and has only recently seemed to resume a bit. My father, his brother, and my grandfather are all completely bald. Everyone likes to say it's a maternal gene disorder, but my father's mother's father had a full head of hair and the same was true for my grandfather.

Here's hoping Histogen is the real deal, though. While it's worked well for me, I'd love to get off of drugs and foams and just live my life with a full head of hair!
    Wow very inspiring. I'm in the same situation. I'm 20, and everybody on my dad's side is bald. It's great to hear that you bought 15 extra years of hair with propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldinLikeBaldwin View Post
    That sounds like pure speculation and I'm not requesting you to provide one but I'm yet to read any study or scientific article claiming that DHT is in any way responsible for male libido.
    Yup, complete speculation with no data to support. Interesting theory, however.

I'm just trying to find the right dosing balance. Currently on 1 mg every three days. Thinking about going up to .5 every other after 30 days. It's still early as I started this regimen 2.5 weeks ago -

Has anyone else started on a low dose, maintained a low dose and had success?

I had sides on taking a 0.5mg pill every other day. The sides in the First 3 months were noticeable but nothing significant, but on the 4th month they became more noticeable and by the 5th month it was starting to get very difficult to stay erect. I quit and within a month I went back to normal.

I'm considering giving it another go as I'm receding pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurts View Post
    I had sides on taking a 0.5mg pill every other day. The sides in the First 3 months were noticeable but nothing significant, but on the 4th month they became more noticeable and by the 5th month it was starting to get very difficult to stay erect. I quit and within a month I went back to normal.

I'm considering giving it another go as I'm receding pretty fast.
    Yikes - it seems like your sides took a while to kick in at least. Did you notice any positive effects on your hair while taking .5 every other day?

How long ago did you quit, Hurts? I stopped using it May of 2010 and just started a couple of weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
    Yikes - it seems like your sides took a while to kick in at least. Did you notice any positive effects on your hair while taking .5 every other day?

How long ago did you quit, Hurts? I stopped using it May of 2010 and just started a couple of weeks ago...
    It did thicken my hair slightly (say by 15-20%), interestingly my hair seemed to thicken much more around the time I got the unbearable sides (5th month) but it didn't stop me receeding (maybe slowed it down).

It has been almost exactly 5 months since I quit.

You should make a thread and keep us updated.