+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What if I have female hormone levels?

Hi

I'm not sure how well received this entry might be, please try not to jump to conclusions.

I guess that the feminising effects of some of the treatments for resisting hair loss will be undesirable to just about every guy on this site, in my case those feminising effects are exactly what I was hoping for, nothing to do with regrowing hair.

I dont want it to become an issue here but to briefly explain I'm someone that has a condition called gender dysphoria which is the overwhelming sense of self identity of being female, its got nothing to do with transvestism whatsoever, so please dont get into that.

As part of the process of transition with the NHS I was given various medications to take, most notably Oestrogen which took me through a second puberty this time developing the secondary sexual characteristics of a female.
    I was also given Finasteride to block the effects of the testosterone I was still producing at that time, the reasoning being that the Oestrogen might be more effective that way.
    Later, after observation of hormone levels in my blood, I was given another drug, a subcutaneous implant called Goserelin. I believe its normally used against cancer and works by over stimulating the pituitary gland and down regulating the production of testosterone. So I now have the hormonal state of a natal female, (I can almost hear some of you shrieking with disgust but I hope not, it feels entirely natural to me, finally).

Next summer the two dangly things that produce testosterone should be gone forever along with all the other bits I dont need (I can definitely hear you all shrieking now) and I can then have female hormone levels forever.

What I've noticed is that my hair (long gone) has unexpectedly started to regrow, obviously thats what most middle aged late onset transsexuals pray for but I didnt believe there was much chance.
    So I started using Regaine extra strength and that seems to have pushed growth along even further.

At the start I was a definite Norwood 7 with no more than ten strands of hair on top, (think Monty Burns from the Simpsons).
    Nine months later I am filling in fairly uniformly in the shape of a Norwood 3 but obviously at too low a density as yet, perhaps about 25% of what I need. The current appearance is a kind of cloudy look if thats any help.

Is it remotely possible that I might recover sufficient density given female hormone levels and no need to fight the dreaded T?
    If I could I could then fill in the front bit with transplants.

Recently I've noticed hairs at about 40 to 50mm length shedding which doesnt look promising but I'm wondering if each growth cycle might elongate in time, like reversing the behaviour of how the hairs successively miniaturise throughout the MPB process?

I chose the username Chanceinamillion for a reason, It was either that or Clutchinatstraws.

Any useful responses?

That's nuts do you have pictures?

I believe there is a trans-gender poster on Hair loss talk who has done a great job of documenting her experiences. Including a number of hair restoration surgeries. She goes by the name Gemini X. her transformation is nothing short of amazing.

Hi Chanceinamillion,
    I believe you should pay attention to two things in your current process.
    1. You said they've given you Finasteride to block the effects of testosterone. Well the thing I don't get is that by taking it you will be blocking formation of DHT from free testosterone but that still gives you "used" testosterone which is still in your system.
    2. Also if you do succeed in the transformation i believe that finasteride is not an option since females can't use propecia, I mean finasteride.
    Now I am a layman so I could have messed some things up.

Should I adress you with he or she? I believe it is she?

As for the disgust part I have no problems with people doing whatever they want as long as they not breaking the law or moral code. So go ahead. Also let us know if the hair does grow up and to what extent.

Even if there is some regrowth by downsizing testosterone and increasing estrogen I would not go with that route. I thoroughly enjoy being a man and hold my testosterone to a high regard . I love the fact that I am a man. However I would prefer being a man with hair .

I wish you all the luck in your gender change if that is something that you want. Take care

First, Samiam, yes I do have pics, they dont really show it very well but even if they did I really wouldnt be comfortable will putting them on here, its been hard enough distancing myself from my past as it is. Maybe at some point I can organise some anonymous looking shots.

Mlao, thanks for that I will check her out for sure.

Sogeking, the hormones Testosterone and Oestrogen are quite similar and they work hand in hand, even though their effects are very different. In some people the administration of Oestrogen will suppress the Testosterone and this is the initial approach the clinic use.
    If the E doesnt suppress the T enough by itself, they have a number of other ways of stopping T production, spironolactone was the old way, Goserelin is one of the new ways. Before treatment my T was 12 or 14, now its 0.4.

I'm not exactly clear why they give me Finasteride its a little too late for stopping the masculinising effects of Testosterone.

As for my transition (not transformation) into a female, I believe the only reason females cant have Finasteride is because it can cause birth defects but as I'm not likely to grow a womb anytime soon, I'm not too worried about this lol.

Thank you and yes, you should quite definitely address me as she, never he, and that would go for any trans person you might meet elsewhere, either way round, use the new gender not the old one.

I will keep you informed if I get more growth, no problem.

I was hoping to get answers about the shedding of newer hairs.

I understand the different phases of hair growth and how dht gradually miniaturises the follicle leading to finer weaker hair of shorter life span with each successive cycle.
    If I had none visible but now I do, then the situation must have reversed to some extent. If and when they return for their second cycle will they still be as fine and short lived or is it possible the strength and duration will be increased?

Quote Originally Posted by Chanceinamillion View Post
    I understand the different phases of hair growth and how dht gradually miniaturises the follicle leading to finer weaker hair of shorter life span with each successive cycle.
    If I had none visible but now I do, then the situation must have reversed to some extent. If and when they return for their second cycle will they still be as fine and short lived or is it possible the strength and duration will be increased?
    This would be SIGNIFICANT, idk the answers and i dont think its ever happened before, which is why I said do you have pictures.

Tomorrow I shall attempt to take some but not promising.

Hi Guys

Ive uploaded a few pics showing the results of a year of Finasteride with Minoxidil added at about month three.

One album is a pair of comparable rear views, the next album a pair of comparable front views and the third album attempts to show a progression through the months but the inconsistent lighting makes it a bit pointless.
    The last three were taken in poorer lighting but I couldnt exactly hide from the daylight forever..

Id like to hear your views.
    Last edited by Chanceinamillion; 09-02-2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: amendment

Just noticed ive uploaded the pics in reverse order, but im sure you get the idea.

What is your opinion on Finasteride? do you think it was effective? did you get any side effects?