+ Reply to Thread

Default 22, losing hair, basically my story please read

Well, I can't believe I'm at this point and I'm only 22 years old. I guess i'm between a 3v and a 4 on the norwood. This is seriously ruining my life. I do not want to whine, as I've always been a mentally and emotionally strong person, but this is taking its toll on me. I'll try not to post a huge wall of text but I've checked out the forum and I feel comfortable already and hope to get some good feedback.

When I was about 19 I was at the pool with my older brother who is 8 years older than me. I walked away from him to get something and had my back turned to him, and when I returned he commented that It looked like I was beginning to thin a little. I did not think of this too much at the time because my temples had not receded really at that point and I still had pretty good coverage on top. I'll get back to my older bro in a minute.

fast forward to my senior year in college, which started fall 2010. I started to notice my temples receding very rapidly, and alot of shedding in my hats. I always wore hats because I play baseball and ive been told I look good in a hat. when I would run my hands through my hair, at least like 5 to 7 hairs would fall out on the desk. I was freaking out at this, and in addition, when I checked the back of my head in the mirror, and after haircuts, I could notice my scalp was becoming more visible. I always had thick hair when I was younger, and always heard from my mom that my grandpop(her dad) had decent hair until he was pretty old. So once I realized I was losing it I was pretty concerned. I haven't spoken with a doctor, but I can tell its the same MPB that my dad and my brother have, so i figured I was screwed.

I also think that stress and more sex contributed to speeding it up so fast. I had started dating this girl this past january(no longer dating her now,NOT because of balding) and was having lots of sex so maybe my testosterone levels were boosted. (I was having more sex then I ever was) I was also really stressed about school because I was failing two classes.

I'm just thankful it wasn't this bad at the start of college because I don't know if I could have handled that. I would consider shaving it off, and have been told by many people I would look nice with a shaved head. I just don't have the confidence in my life right now to pull that off. I'm in good shape, but not jacked or anything like that. back to my brother, hes about the same height (5 ft 8) but we have different moms so hes more tan, and he looks real good with the shaved head and is covered with several tattoes, rides a harley, u get the picture. he started shaving it in his mid twenties if i can remember correctly, and he still pulled hot girls and is engaged right now.

Not to sound ****y but I'm a good looking guy and girls have come up to me in bars an other social parties without me putting any effort to talk to them first. your probably wondering why I'm complaining about this. well during high school I had a gap between my teeth and couldn't get it fixed until the end of high school. once I had great teeth, I was so confident and talked to any girl. its just not fair that I had only like 3 years of being myself before I had to deal with this bullshit. It really sucks.

Fast forward to now, I started using rogaine 3 weeks ago, and I'm literally praying this this works. I don't even care about the receding hairline, I just want the thinning patch on the top to go back to normal. Thanks if you took the time to read this and please post any advice. also using rogaine's "progaine shampoo" cause it enhance fine/thin hair. i'm so glad I found this site and will try to offer advice to others. Like alot of other posts I've read on here, I have my good and bad days dealing with this . I will definately consider nizoral shampoo. Thanks again and I look forward to reading your responses.

I'm just starting on Rogaine too, so here's to great results for both of us hopefully! Have you experienced much of an initial shed?

I haven't experienced too much shed, or at least that I have noticed. It does look like theres less scalp coverage then before, but maybe because I'm paying more attention to it and looking at it twice a day?

I bought some minoxidil the equate brand from walmart and used it for like 2 weeks and said screw that. work out, get a little sun and work on your social skills. i can relate man. I'm 22 with ok density in the front but the vertex is thinning. yes im self conscious but i could be fat, short, have jacked up teeth. just gotta remember what your blessed with and work it the best you can brotha. goodluck. oh and btw the shorter you go the better off you'll be.