+ Reply to Thread

Default Hmm been on rogaine for 6 days, and shedding?

So I've been on rogaine 5% (liquid) for six days and my shedding seems to have increased?! Is this normal? When will the shedding stop? Btw, it's not just the thin hairs that are shedding but also some thick ones

Increased shedding when using Rogaine at the beginning is completely normal and you should not worry about this, It shows that the treatement is working. According to the Rogaine manufacturers shedding lasts 2-3 weeks. I've seen lots of posts from people freaking out going through Rogaine sheds at the beginning but then post back after a couple of months saying that their hair has grown back thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack20 View Post
    Increased shedding when using Rogaine at the beginning is completely normal and you should not worry about this, It shows that the treatement is working. According to the Rogaine manufacturers shedding lasts 2-3 weeks. I've seen lots of posts from people freaking out going through Rogaine sheds at the beginning but then post back after a couple of months saying that their hair has grown back thicker.
    Phew! Thank god! Was getting nervous well I'll just post again in 2-3 months to let people now it it's working or not..

Ok so i'm in my 11th day of using rogaine, and today somthing bad happend which resulted in me freaking out. Suddenly today my shedding increased significantly when applying rogaine?! I counted the hairs, and the number is 85 hairs?! WTF!?! I'm only washing my head ONCE per week and using rogaine 2 times a day.

Is this normal? Prior to using rogaine i would loose, i don't know, like around 20 hairs (max) when applying stuff to my scalp.

Could it just be that the fact that i'm only washing my head once a week is causing me to shed more? Perhaps the hairs that were ment to fall out are just staying on my scalp until i apply somthing to it or wash it? Maybe this is the reason why i'm sheeding so much?

Well the fact is that I'm damn confused, sad and pissed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post
    Ok so i'm in my 11th day of using rogaine, and today somthing bad happend which resulted in me freaking out. Suddenly today my shedding increased significantly when applying rogaine?! I counted the hairs, and the number is 85 hairs?! WTF!?! I'm only washing my head ONCE per week and using rogaine 2 times a day.

Is this normal? Prior to using rogaine i would loose, i don't know, like around 20 hairs (max) when applying stuff to my scalp.

Could it just be that the fact that i'm only washing my head once a week is causing me to shed more? Perhaps the hairs that were ment to fall out are just staying on my scalp until i apply somthing to it or wash it? Maybe this is the reason why i'm sheeding so much?

Take a deep breath brother, it will get better. That much I can attest to. I lost my entire crown with my shed - as in all the hair. Had to do a combover to cover the bald spot. I'm sure people in chemo would have had sympathy with me on that one. To say I was freaking out was an understatement.

But with the results I've been getting I actually wish all my hair would've fallen out with the shed :S. Ballsy statement I know. I got back all the hair I lost - it's much, much thicker, it's actually gotten darker (oddly enough) and I've started to regain hair I lost more than 3 years ago. Maybe I'm just one of the guys who responds well to the treatment, but everyone who suffers a major shed ends up breathing easy a few weeks down the line.

Just be sure to combine the rogaine/minoxidil with something else. I'm personally using a nizshampoo generic (which helps for hair loss and doubles up to help for any irritation and dandruff) which costs less than $8 a bottle and it's lasted me more than 2 months. I also started taking saw palmetto tablets this week, but it's obviously too early to tell if it works.

PS - You'll know the shed has stopped when your hair loss drops down to 1 or 2 hairs at a time. And it's going to be very sudden.

PSS - You've got to wash your hair more than once a week - I wash mine twice a day without hassles. Remember that the rogaine is absorbed through your pores and my personal opinion would be that you'll see better results with a cleaner scalp. I use Nioxin cleanser, but I'm sure you can get a cheaper gentle shampoo that'll do the job.
    Last edited by melwou7245; 09-02-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added more info

Ok so I'm in my 2nd week of using rogaine and today I counted the hairs from my shed which was more significant than ever before: 120 hairs, a lot of thick hairs too, wtf is going on?

Shedding on meds - all normal

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...=shedding+meds

Best
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

I can't say I noticed a big shed but I didn't count the hairs I was losing anyway because I don't think I'd like the number I'd come up with. I think my hair got a little thinner when taking it initially but it sees to have stabilised now 6 months in and though it's hard to say I think I might be losing my hair more slowly now so perhaps the minoxidil is slowing it down somewhat. I do still think I'm losing it slowly but slowing it down I suppose is some degree of success.

Nizoral seems to be useful too I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post

If you're only washing your hair once a week then there's a good chance that the hairs you're seeing could be from a week's worth of shedding minus those on your pillow. If that's the case then the number you're counting is not so bad. Just try not to count them.

Ok guys here comes a shot update on my progress.

I'm now in my 18th day of using rogaine 5 % liquid. Topday i noticed that my shedding has decreased significantly! I lost like 6 hairs while applying this morning! It seems to be working now! The downside though is that it made my scalp i bit my see through due to the initial shedding wich, i think, made me losse around 300-500 hairs...

So all in all: This rogaine shit is working (so far)!