+ Reply to Thread

Default Going to Derm next week, what tests do I need

Hi

I'm a 20 year old male from the Uk. I've suffered from hairloss and seborrheic dermatitis in the past year.

I've made an appointment with a private dermatoligist who is also an expert on hair loss next week, so I'm paying money for that aswell as any test that need to be done. The problem is that the hair loss isn't only in the areas where MPB occurs, I've got diffused hair loss all over my scalp.

I think stress played a large role in this, because I went through a very stressful period and afterwards I had seborrheic dermatitis and hair loss. The hair loss could be down to damage done from seborrheic dermatitis or telogen effluvium with Androgenic alopecia.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can give me advice on what tests I could/need to get to tell whether hair loss is due to damage from SD, TE or miniturisation of hair from MPB.

Regards

Jack

The dermatologist will know what to do. Also, if baldness runs in either you father's or mother's family or if your father is bald then there's no second guessing what's causing your hair loss. SD and stress can accelerate the loss but they DONT cause MPB. It's the parents who cause you to have MPB.

stress is generally known to accelerate MPB. Usually a trigger can accelerate MPB, in this case stress or a fungal infection like SD. I also had seberheic dermatitis following a long period of stress..I tell ya..the hairloss with all these things combined seems never ending. They will kill your hair fast, and if you are unfortunate like me who doesnt seem to regrow whats lost, then its game over fast.

Thanks for the response guys.

If its mainly due to stress then Rogaine and Propecia have a shot at growing MPB hair or keeping what I have right?

But if its due to seborrheic dermatitis would Propecia or Rogaine work?

I too lost a ton of hair because I had seborheic dermatitis. I am 26 years of age and was a NW0 before this happened. However, I do have the MPB gene in the family seeing as my cousins are all balding, my uncles were all bald, and my dad didnt exactly have a full head of hair.

However, the Seberheic dermatitis killed my hair overnight..and over the course of days/weeks..my hair started to thin around the crown. I quickly got on propecia/proscar to prevent falling hair from possibly miniaturizing, (thats if i do have the MPB gene which derms are still unsure because at the age of 26 I had no prior hairloss and thick/dense hair all over).

I will tell ya, if you do have MPB, chances of propecia/proscar helping that lost hair grow back through seberheic dermatitis depends on the timeline it fell out. People with MPB tend to regrow hair thats thinner, and finer untill it eventually dies off. i didnt get on proscar untill maybe 2 months after my massive shedding, and I have not seen any regrowth of lost hairs whatsoever. And though my fungal infection lasted the next 6 months followed by massive shedding, its hard to even know if I regrew back anything. I can say that proscar has certainly slowed down my shed..though some days i still get weird shedding, mainly in non mpb areas. Once this is stopped completely, I think I have excellent chance of seeing some regrowth and thickening. You gotta ride the storm.

One last thing, stress can definitely cause seberhic dermatitis. So stressing while you have that infection, can certainly make it more aggressive. Stress/SD as a combo is deadly I tell ya (you will see 300+ hairs on your hands in shower). You can certainly go bald overnight..believe me..so get it under control before its too late.