+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jundam View Post
    I usually sympathize with my fellow hair loss victims but calling your thinning hairline a living hell is far more tragic and pathetic than anything else.

As far as scientific progress goes you'd be wise to realize that nothing will always be 3 to 5 years away. Sooner or later science catches up to hope, and never before has it been as close as it is now.
    Jundam, you think you're so tough, eh? you know, some of the things I really hate about people is when they tell me how I should or shouldn't feel about something they have NO clue about. Do you have any idea how I feel ??? Do you know anything about my life ?? Just because you suffer from hair loss -assuming that you do- and handling it well does NOT mean that every one else is handling it -or can handle it- the same way as you are. Maybe you don't give a crap about your hair loss but some or even most of us do, big time. It's not like I'm the only one to say hair loss has turned my life into a living hell.

I am not going to go into details about why in my case hair loss has affected me 1 million times worse than it does the average hair loss sufferer. You don't know anything about what I'm suffering from, but regardless, you SHOULD learn how to show a little more respect and sensitivity for how others feel about their problems instead of being rude and insensitive. Go take a psychology class or something to educate yourself and try to keep your rude remarks to yourself and if you dont have something nice to say just keep your mouth SHUT.

Nobody ever objected to anybody feeling bad about hair loss. I'm just tired of people who lack perspective. If you can't live without a full head of hair get a wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed but if you go to a sporting event or shopping center you'll find plenty of guys with shaved or buzzed heads who wouldn't describe their existence as a living hell. Your hair isn't the problem, your perspective is. Something tells me if you weren't losing your hair you'd be depressed about something else. I'm not saying the guys who shave their heads wouldn't want their hair back, but what's the difference between them living their lives and you staying inside all day? It obviously isn't the hair.
    Firstly you have no clue about how this has affected me, you don't know a single detail about my entire 'hair loss experience' and just because some people "seem" to be handling it well doesn't mean everyone is.

I dont know if YOU'VE noticed but some of the threads on this forum receive hundreds of thousands of views from people all across the globe - people spend BILLIONS on treatments for hair loss.

Take home message: It's not just in my head and its not just me - I have never EVER spoken to ANYONE who has told me they are truly not affected by their hair loss, people say only 5 - 7% seek treatment - that is not because they are not bothered by their hair loss... I am truly bothered and I am yet to seek ANY medical treatment.

The fundamental reason why people do not seek treatment is because there really isnt any good treatment on the market - Finasteride can buy you 5 years of a NW3 semi-hair loss but as soon as your times up you're back to a NW5 - wasted all that money and probably ended up with erectile dysfunction which might take another 5 years to clear up. WIN WIN EH?

I dont see why people view Androgenetic Alopecia as a joke and then view alopecia areata or Univ by choking in shock/horror.

It's not MY perspective that needs altering it's the perspective of the millions of IDIOTS out there who believe we should just continue to suffer in silence and get on with it.

Nobody is claiming to know exactly how you feel, or trying to tell you how you should feel. But losing your hair is a cosmetic disability at worst. Any mental anguish it causes is self-inflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundam View Post
    Nobody is claiming to know exactly how you feel, or trying to tell you how you should feel. But losing your hair is a cosmetic disability at worst. Any mental anguish it causes is self-inflicted.
    Question: is the mental anguish experienced through alopecia universalis also self inflicted? How about burn victims? - If I came on here and told you a horrific story of an accident where I had lost 70% of my hair due to scalp burns I guarantee you your “PERSPECTIVE” would be entirely different.

Like I said, it’s not my perspective that needs changing.

Hey UK, I totally agree with you when you say that you aren't on any treatments because most of them are ineffective. And I agree with you with every other point you make too. That's what really frustrates me most of all: that we don't have any effective options to combat hair loss. The only one that I'm on is Propecia, but I don't like the way that it makes me feel. It screws up my muscle definition and it really does affect sexual function. Here is a direct quote from Dr. Ziering's Histogen page and it is so true: Of the 87 million people in the United States that suffer from hair loss, it is estimated that only 2-7% seek surgical or pharmacological treatment. The same is true internationally due to the general lack of effective medical options for this widespread condition.

UK iam on your side with this.

I don't know if you've noticed but if you go to a sporting event or shopping center you'll find plenty of guys with shaved or buzzed heads who wouldn't describe their existence as a living hell. Your hair isn't the problem, your perspective is. Something tells me if you weren't losing your hair you'd be depressed about something else. I'm not saying the guys who shave their heads wouldn't want their hair back, but what's the difference between them living their lives and you staying inside all day? It obviously isn't the hair.
    I would wager that many of the people you see with AGA who seem to be going about their lives and taking it in stride are actually deeply upset by their hair loss--they just don't talk about it.

For example, I found my own hair loss to be completely devastating and it has affected my life in countless ways, but I've never discussed it with anyone, except of course anonymously on the internet and with the handful of dermatologists and HT doctors that I've consulted. I don't intend to talk about it with anyone in my life either. It's a depressing subject, there is nothing anyone can do about it, and no amount of talk will bring my hair back. Nonetheless, most of the people who see me on a daily basis probably think I've accepted my hair loss and moved on. If they only knew....

Hairloss sucks. And the deeperr you go on the Norwood scale the more dpressing you feel. Until you hit NW7 you can't go higher than this. Provided you have AGA.

However there are more serious problems. But pyschological pain from hair loss is very similar to serious bout of acne.

Who knows when we will be able to get rid of this curse.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Question: is the mental anguish experienced through alopecia universalis also self inflicted? How about burn victims? - If I came on here and told you a horrific story of an accident where I had lost 70% of my hair due to scalp burns I guarantee you your “PERSPECTIVE” would be entirely different.

Like I said, it’s not my perspective that needs changing.
    Of course it is self-inflicted. Any mental anguish caused by a cosmetic disability is self-inflicted. Its affects on your life are dependent on how you look at it. It does not in any way limit you mentally or physically. Moreover comparing male pattern baldness to alopecia univeralis and severe burn damage does not strengthen your argument. It only accentuates your self-pity.

I'll let this be my last post on the subject as I doubt it'll serve any purpose other than agitating people.
    I do however wish those of you who consider this a "living hell" would consider therapy. Accepting the inevitable and aiming to strive in spite of it will make you stronger while lingering in the pain the inevitable causes and pitying yourselves for it will only make you miserable.