+ Reply to Thread

Default First initial concerns! Aged 23 (pics inside)

Hello guys. I am 23 year old male and had a photo taken 2 weeks ago which I have noticed that that my temples seem to be dissapearing. I can see the front is becoming more prominent (like a triangle or tail - sorry i dont know all the official names).

I never used to care about my hair at all, i would always spike it up like in the photo when going out. This is the first time I have ever really noticed this.

I am obviously concerned about the future for my hair. I have posted a pic of my hair below. I have also posted a pic of my dads hair who is in his 40's. I am identical to my dad in every single way. Will my hair turn out like his do you think?

Me: I have my hair spiked up with gel here which can't be good for it, its making me think twice about it now actually that i have noticed the balding at the corners.

My dad (aged 40's)

I more than likely think my hair will end up like my dads and really should just make the most of the way my hair is just now as it aint going to last like that.

Whats your opinions on the above guys? I really appreciate anyone who gives some feedback.

Thank You.

edit -

I have just taken a pic of my hair from 10 minutes ago.

This is my right temple which appears to be worse than my left. I am quite concerned about this as it looks like it may indeed be receeding.

I would appreciate if anyone helps me in this post. Im quite new to all of this. What are the side effects of the rogaine foam? Generally thinking about it, foam...is this not harmless?

Thanks guys.

As you are now, you have the quintessential 'mature hairline', which you'll find mentioned a lot on these forums. Basically it's when a man's hairline recedes a little and then essentially stops (at least for a while) in a position somewhat higher than a 'juvenile hairline'. This can happen early on in manhood or come later.

Unfortunately there's no predicting whether you'll experience any more recession and pass the mature hairline stage. You could follow your dad's pattern or you could progress further, as genetics are unpredictable. Have you asked him at what age his hair started to recede? He might not remember but it's worth asking.

In my opinion, it's a bit early to commit to any treatments such as Rogaine. Some people will disagree with me, saying that any hint of hairloss should trigger an immediate pharmaceutical assault, but there are risks and it is a commitment that I feel should only be made when a person is sure that their hairloss is progressing.

Keep in mind that the above is based on my personal opinion that a bit of recession (creating that triangle when viewed from the side) has a sort of masculinizing effect which looks really good.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    In my opinion, it's a bit early to commit to any treatments such as Rogaine. Some people will disagree with me, saying that any hint of hairloss should trigger an immediate pharmaceutical assault, but there are risks and it is a commitment that I feel should only be made when a person is sure that their hairloss is progressing.

Keep in mind that the above is based on my personal opinion that a bit of recession (creating that triangle when viewed from the side) has a sort of masculinizing effect which looks really good.
    Say it is only a 'mature hairline' what risks would there be (to your hair) if you started for example Minoxidil alone?

If your genes state that the hairline shall not progress beyond x then applying minoxidil will not change this would it?

I ask because this is the position I am in.

I'd say it is never too early to start treatment but your hair looks fine to me. I wish to God I wouldn't caught any sign of hair loss (and started fighting it) when I was at your stage.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I wish to God I wouldn't caught any sign of hair loss (and started fighting it) when I was at your stage.

Why do you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Say it is only a 'mature hairline' what risks would there be (to your hair) if you started for example Minoxidil alone?

If your genes state that the hairline shall not progress beyond x then applying minoxidil will not change this would it?

I ask because this is the position I am in.
    There are reports out there from people who had minor hairloss which got worse after using Minoxidil on the hairline. I'm not sure how statistically significant they are, but it does make me think twice about recommending an early start with the treatment when a person's hair still looks very good and it isn't certain that it will deteriorate any time soon.

I normally add that line about some disagreeing with me as I know that many people would. I understand the regret that can come with failing to start treatment early as I went through it myself.

I should've added before that I'd recommend keeping a close watch for further loss, preferably keeping track with clear photos for comparison.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for your comments guys. I guest its a catch 2. I dont want to start any treatment too early because of side effects. Yet i do want to catch it early if this is going to recede further.

I think i will have to keep an eye on it.

Yup and your other option may potentially ruin your sex life permanently (finasteride).

Besides this, researchers still drag their heels to bring out even a decent treatment option.