+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Help!!! How to best cover a receding hairline

Anyone, please offer some advice! Is there anyway to effectively mask a receding hairline?? I'd say I lost any were between 1/2" to 1" from my hairline. I'm not good at making this determination, but I'd say I'm either Norwood 2 or 3. Will Toppik or Dermmatch help? I was setting up a video conference unit today that used a 42" HDTV and I saw myself on it at a certain angle. I wanted to break down with an estrogen-filled moment of tears right there.........any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I started thinking about my hairloss a little less each day until this. This stinks.

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Pittfan---I happen to like Dermatch--it does add bulk to your thinning hair.

However, a hairline is difficult--- adding some Dermatch right behind your existing hairline, then brushing your hair forward is often a solid start.

You can often disguise loss in the crown or the frontal core, but the hairline is very difficult---anything out of the ordinary will draw the eye.

Another option is to start buzzing down to a #2 or #1, which will leave you with a stubble that will "shadow" your face---leaving you still looking young, without all the work.

Post a photo or two and we can get an idea of what your looking at.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Thank you. I don't have any pics nor do I have a camera. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and post it then. I am kind of leaning towards dermmatch.

I tried cutting my hair really short, but I don't think I have the head shape for that. When you say "frontal core" what part of the head is that. Thank you.

Arrow Dermmatch Fan Here!

I’m a Dermmatch fan myself, and discuss how I “paint” my head on the show almost every week. It’s great stuff if you know how to finesse it. Like Jason pointed out, it can work well in the crown, and the mid-anterior scalp, but using any type of cosmetic in the hairline is social suicide in my opinion.

Photos would definitely help!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.