+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 NW6 considering HT NEED ADVICE!

Hey guys,

Ive read a lot of threads on here and the advice seems GREAT! So I thought before I make one of the most important decisions of my life, I should ask for advice. I have been losing my hair since i was 18 and it has been very aggressive. I have had consultations and doctors stated I was stage 5 almost to stage 6. I have recently started taking procecia to control the hair loss to what it is now. I have seen where a lot of people have gotten advice to hold off because they are to young to do a hair transplant. I am wanting anyones input on whether or not I should wait a few years or if it would be ok to go ahead with the procedure. So is 21 to young to consider a hair transplant?

Hi

Whilst it is not impossible, there are multitude of factors that would need to be considered. You need to see a reputable IAHRS doctor to discuss the possibilities. An assessment will made with regards to existing donor density, hair characteristics (including scalp laxity) as well as an accurate assessment of the state of your exisiting native hair. You say you are using propecia with a view to maintaining a nw5? this should help things and give the doctor a chance to discuss future implications. From what you say, it took you just three years to get to a nw 5? I really feel for you as that must have been devastating. Given the extent of your loss at such a young age, the surgeon would no doubt adopt a conservative approach with regards to your situation. This may mean that you may have to accept some realistic expectations. You may also need to consider the fact that you may not be a suitable candidate for surgical hair restoration. Having said that, if you have favourable hair characteristics, a talented and considerate doctor and a realistic approach to the situation, then you do have options. I'm sure others will provide similar advice. The most important thing is to do your research and choose a surgeon carfefully as it looks like you could be in for the long haul. The very best of luck!

Well I have recently visted with Dr. Mcgrath in austin tx to see what my best options were. He said that he could give me frontal coverage with hair restoration surgery. He seems to know what he is talking about and he and his staff all seem very nice and admirable. I just wanted to get on here and see what other people had to say or maybe their experiences on doing a hair restoration surgery so young. It is a very tough decision to make so all advice helps! thank you for your reply.

I would go along with Dr Mcgrath. I hear his reputation is sound and I've seen some interviews with him. Good for you and hope it goes well if you do go ahead with it!

Quote Originally Posted by 8868alex View Post
    Hi

Whilst it is not impossible, there are multitude of factors that would need to be considered. You need to see a reputable IAHRS doctor to discuss the possibilities. An assessment will made with regards to existing donor density, hair characteristics (including scalp laxity) as well as an accurate assessment of the state of your exisiting native hair. You say you are using propecia with a view to maintaining a nw5? this should help things and give the doctor a chance to discuss future implications. From what you say, it took you just three years to get to a nw 5? I really feel for you as that must have been devastating. Given the extent of your loss at such a young age, the surgeon would no doubt adopt a conservative approach with regards to your situation. This may mean that you may have to accept some realistic expectations. You may also need to consider the fact that you may not be a suitable candidate for surgical hair restoration. Having said that, if you have favourable hair characteristics, a talented and considerate doctor and a realistic approach to the situation, then you do have options. I'm sure others will provide similar advice. The most important thing is to do your research and choose a surgeon carfefully as it looks like you could be in for the long haul. The very best of luck!
    Can you elaborate what is conservative approach and realistic expectation?

I am also in norwood level 6 (early) and 27 years of age using only minoxidil 5% and planning to undergo HT. Can i be a suitable candidate for HT... (FUT or FUE)

Thanks in advance

Hi - Confused

As ever, I would suggest you get a consultation with an approved doctor. They will be able to give you a proffessional assessment and advise you as to your options. A conservative approach would refer to a careful utilisation of donor hair, placement of hairline and consideration of further loss (progression to nw 7). A realistic approach refers to the the idea that you may not have enough donor hair to cover your entire scalp. In other words, you may have to choose to have certain areas of the scalp treated as a priority. This tends to be the frontal / mid scalp. However you need to get this assessed by an IAHRS doctor. If you have favourable hair characteristics and a good surgeon it is possible to get a very good result (and even the appearance of a full head of hair). Best of luck to you with your research!

Quote Originally Posted by 8868alex View Post
    Hi - Confused

As ever, I would suggest you get a consultation with an approved doctor. They will be able to give you a proffessional assessment and advise you as to your options. A conservative approach would refer to a careful utilisation of donor hair, placement of hairline and consideration of further loss (progression to nw 7). A realistic approach refers to the the idea that you may not have enough donor hair to cover your entire scalp. In other words, you may have to choose to have certain areas of the scalp treated as a priority. This tends to be the frontal / mid scalp. However you need to get this assessed by an IAHRS doctor. If you have favourable hair characteristics and a good surgeon it is possible to get a very good result (and even the appearance of a full head of hair). Best of luck to you with your research!
    MAny Thanks for your reply. I send my pictures to many leading HT surgeons and what i heard from most of them is that If you are expecting total restoration then forget having surgery as it will not be possible.

In my case i got these words from many surgeons that "Large surface to cover and small donor surface area, FUE is not going to be possible, your donor density already looks lower than average so impossible to get a meaningful amount of grafts via FUE to do anything with in terms of coverage. Even Strip maybe debatable"

I am from India and i cant afford to come states and what i have seen that all members of IAHRS are based out of India.

Please Advise