+ Reply to Thread

Default Receding Hairline

I am 19 and I first started noticing that my hairline was going backwards about 18 months ago. It's not totally terrible at the moment, but it's certainly not ideal either.

Both my father and my his father are bald or going bald on top, but they weren't at my age.

I'm a student, so surgery is out of the questions. Plus I don't much fancy walking around with a skinhead and the red patches on my forehead.

So, I'm looking for a product or products that will help regrow my hairline (if it's even possible). I know there are a lot of hair products out there, so I don't really know where to start.

Thank you.

No there are not many products out there. There are only 2 that are actually proven with trials to work for most people. Propecia medication get on it asap, and Minoxidil 5% (Rogaine) if you be bothered applying it twice daily, or at least once at night.

Unfortunately that is all that works at the moment so if you want to keep what you have until hopefully something else comes out get on to it as soon as you can.

So all that stuff does is stops it from getting worse? It doesn't make the hair grow back?

Mainly stops it from getting worse. If you are lucky can help grow some hair back.

If some hair has has miniaturized but is still there it can improve the hair itself.

Quote Originally Posted by scarscalp View Post
    I would suggest try minoxidil by itself first, not propecia and minoxidil together because of the possible side effect of propecia.
    Good idea, but personally and from experience I would try propecia first as it gets to the problem from the inside. If you want more regrowth then add 5% minoxidil.

They say give propecia 8 months to see if you are losing less hairs. I was thinking about switching to advodart after 9-10 months but was worried about side effects and also it affecting the hairline. I persisted with propecia and have been on it for 1 year and 5 months. I recon I started noticing a difference after about 13 months and minimal hairfall in shower and towel now. Get on it and take pictures every 2 months or so and try not to obsess or think about it too much (as hard as it is). Then after 12 months or more you can add minoxil if you want.

There is a thread on this forum with peoples experience on propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by scarscalp View Post
    I would suggest try minoxidil by itself first, not propecia and minoxidil together because of the possible side effect of propecia.
    No, minoxidil is a growth stimulator only, not hair loss preventer. You'll still lose hair on minoxidil alone.

I suggest finasteride alone first. Finasteride stops further loss, or slows it down, minoxidil does neither.

Yeah I'd go to your doctor and get on propcia first

I will say try any of these as risks of sides effects are too high!

A big number of males have suffered erectile dysfunction, impotence, low libido and gynecomestica after using Propecia. The shattering truth for these males is that the side effects did not disappear after ceasing finasteride. The shattering truth is that years later these individuals are still suffering in silence with a seriously reduced quality of life due to erectile dysfunction and impotence, it is a life sentence.

You can maybe use Minoxidile at a small dose for some time and see if you get any results and hope that you have no side effects as they dont always occure, i personnaly used it for a year or so and had after 5 months difficulty breathing and unexplained swollen hands or feet, i did not have any regrowth but paybe stoped it from getting worst. now i switched to herbal solutions, that basicly do the same thing, it is really slow to see the first signs but no health problems during the treatement.

Quote Originally Posted by stravucce View Post
    A big number of males have suffered erectile dysfunction, impotence, low libido and gynecomestica after using Propecia. The shattering truth for these males is that the side effects did not disappear after ceasing finasteride. The shattering truth is that years later these individuals are still suffering in silence with a seriously reduced quality of life due to erectile dysfunction and impotence, it is a life sentence.
    Those side effects do occur, and I suspect they are more frequent than the official literature will admit, but the way you put that suggests that all men who experience these side effects will suffer them permanently, even after stopping the drug. This simply isn't true and could potentially frighten people away from using the best proven hairloss treatment. There are a lot of men using the drug with no side effects at all. They are mostly silent. The side effects are completely reversed in the majority of men who are forced to quit for that reason.

It's important for new users to know the risks, but the warnings must fit with what we actually know.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Yeah I don't know what age the side effects occur the most but im 25 and I've on propcia since a lil after I turned 23 about 1 year 9 months and I've never had any side effects from it that I've noticed.every thing is working fine with me as far as the sexual side effects lol.my moms ex bf has been on it I think since 2000 and when he told me about it he hadnt had any side effects when I talked to him a lil over a year ago.but everyone is different.but I guess somepeople respond did to it.you gotta try it to find out