Researcher has 'baldness calculator'

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scar85
    • Aug 2011

According to this calculator, I will be bald at the age of 55, this includes with all the chronic stress I have. Better live it up till then

Comment

• Samiam
      • Apr 2011

Wow wtf it told, me 27 **** I hope this calculators horribly wrong

Comment

• UK_
        • Feb 2011

The thing this calculator fails to address is noticable hair loss - you might be bald at 60 and thus 'well past it', but your hair loss will be noticable within a few years if you're starting to thin now, whether you're are 21 or 40.

Happy days.

+ JCM is right - Getting old does not mean you will not have issues with your hair loss, if anything it will have driven you insane up until total loss when you are forced to accept it.

Comment

• unbalding
          • Sep 2014

"What we have discovered is testosterone has a negative effect on hair loss ... the testosterone makes the energy in each hair follicle run out sooner, so the more testosterone a person has the sooner they will burn out of their energy and the hair will drop out sooner,"
          Total bs! What is this energy he speaks of that burns out? Androgens are critical in to AGA, but it's not as simple as saying more testosterone equals earlier balding. Actually, it can be the opposite. Low testosterone could lead the body to produce more DHT.

Comment

• burtandernie
            • Nov 2012

All of this under the assumption nothing new would ever come out and alter this prediction anyway. Just a waste of time may as well guess at the stock market instead

Comment

• burtandernie
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Samiam
              Is that calculator legit???
              I doubt it.

Comment

• epipapilla
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by unbalding
                Total bs! What is this energy he speaks of that burns out? Androgens are critical in to AGA, but it's not as simple as saying more testosterone equals earlier balding. Actually, it can be the opposite. Low testosterone could lead the body to produce more DHT.
                I don't think that DHT is responsible for male pattern hair loss, and the common theory about how androgens cause hair loss is entirely flawed! In fact I don't even think that androgens cause mpb any more. There have been several hair loss forum members who have done blood tests which showed that they actually had below average levels of DHT and testosterone, but yet they were still losing hair! Yes, I agree that androgens may be involved in the pathway of genetic hair loss, but that does not mean that they cause it. Association does not prove causation.

Also, people talk about a so called "androgen paradox" where androgens are supposed to stimulate body hair growth but inhibit head hair growth. The hair regrowth action of Minoxidil entirely does not fit in with the androgen paradox as Minoxidil can regrow hair wherever it is applied topically, and if taken internally it can grow hair all over the body. People disregard this fact by stating that they don't know the mechanism by which Minoxodil regrows hair. To disregard how Minoxidil does not fit in with the androgen paradox is pure folly.

A rewrite of what causes heredity hair loss is most definitely needed!

Comment

• unbalding
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by epipapilla
                  I don't think that DHT is responsible for male pattern hair loss, and the common theory about how androgens cause hair loss is entirely flawed! In fact I don't even think that androgens cause mpb any more. There have been several hair loss forum members who have done blood tests which showed that they actually had below average levels of DHT and testosterone, but yet they were still losing hair! Yes, I agree that androgens may be involved in the pathway of genetic hair loss, but that does not mean that they cause it. Association does not prove causation.

Also, people talk about a so called "androgen paradox" where androgens are supposed to stimulate body hair growth but inhibit head hair growth. The hair regrowth action of Minoxidil entirely does not fit in with the androgen paradox as Minoxidil can regrow hair wherever it is applied topically, and if taken internally it can grow hair all over the body. People disregard this fact by stating that they don't know the mechanism by which Minoxodil regrows hair. To disregard how Minoxidil does not fit in with the androgen paradox is pure folly.

A rewrite of what causes heredity hair loss is most definitely needed!
                  Androgens do not have to lead to hairloss, but their presence is a prerequisite for AGA. Like I said though, it's a lot more complicated than the old simplistic theory of "more T = more DHT = more hairloss".

Comment

• burtandernie
                    • Nov 2012

Yeah its more complicated than DHT, but androgens do cause MPB. Its not a made up thing androgens directly cause baldness in people that are susceptible. The issue has always been why is hair susceptible in one person verses someone else when they have the same androgen levels? Everyone might have different receptor layout/density that determines speed and sensitivity to the androgens though. Also another key is timing when do you lower those androgens in the MPB process? Lowering it after 10 years might not work the same as lowering it immediately. Once the process goes things evolve and change to how it responds to the lowering of androgens. Its complicated even in terms of androgens alone

Comment

Working...