+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Considering Shaving Your Head?

Funny Video, but a sad look at the reactions of two shallow parents.

Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

It just goes to show you that even the people who love you can be jerks. I think the guy looked good with his shaved head.

omg!

i thought the guy looked great with a shaved head too. what's the big deal? im sure this guys parents just made him feel 10 times worse about his situation. what a bunch of ignorant, out of touch, old fuddy-duddies they are...

I'm going through the same thing with my hairline, this doesn't help.

The thing is you are always going to cop criticism in life over something. Whether its a big nose, a fat belly, weird ears etc. Bald head is also somehting that can draw jokes, jibes etc. But really it isnt that bad, especially considering so many men have it. you have to take it light heartidly and accept it for what it is. Only then can you move on...

I think I've seen some really good points of view on this thread. Its true that as we lose our hair and desperately search for remedies, we contemplate giving up, shaving it all off, and accepting it as something permanent. After all, many of the devices and medications have scary side effects or are simply ineffective.

In some ways, having hope and fighting hairloss while watching your condition slowly deteriorate can be more painful than simply shaving it all off. After all, I think many of us can agree that trying to hide a gaping bald spot with a skimpy combover is less attractive in most cases than a shaved head. You wouldn't have to worry about people noticing the gaps in your hair everytime you turn around, or the wind blowing your combover the wrong way.

The fact is that in most cases, a shaved head is not so bad. It may not look as good, but once you get over the initial embarrassment, you and your friends may take it with a pinch of salt, and you wont have to worry about bad/worsening hair days anymore. Right now, with all options exhausted, I am contemplating making a bold statement and shaving. So far my plan is to let all my friends know one by one, so that they're not so surprised, and then try and constantly visualize myself as having no hair, so that I can get mentally prepared. I sent a few pictures of myself to a website - virtual headshave i think it was, and they sent me back an edited and fairly accurate picture of what my head would be like shaved. I am now taking a look at it every day to prepare myself when the day comes. I'm planning to do it around august, and I will let you all know how I cope. Please add comments to let me know what you think.