+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    where are you pulling this statistic from? because i'm genuinely curious. i'd loved to be proven wrong for curiosity sake. lol
    I think he is saying that this is what he has observed. I would have to agree that baseball hats only when worn tight will have an affect on hair loss.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Overall FACTS~Hats DO NOT cause hairloss.

I used to think that it was BS, but I had a black lab and right where his collar was on his neck was a ring of hair that was gone. I imagine it must have been rubbing and maybe the friction caused the hair loss, but maybe not. I guess it can cause it if you where it back against your hairline or something this causing traction alopecia.

As someone that lived years without any hint of MPB at like 20 years old let me tell you hats dont cause MPB or contribute at all. Hair that is not affected by MPB is really strong. Its not coming out unless you yank it super hard or it gets ripped out by getting caught in a machine or something. It doesnt just fall out when brushed against a hat.
    What causes MPB is inherent in every man by birth. The testosterone that makes you so manly likes to destroy hair over the years. Its all hormonal and it makes perfect sense if you think about it. Although there are deeper layers to the problem than just hormones.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Paul Shapiro, MD's Avatar

This tread started with a question if wearing a hat causes baldness by wear and tear to your hair.
    What we know about Androgenetic Alopecia is that DHT binds to androgen receptors of susceptible hair follicles and this activates genes that cause hair loss. The follicles start to miniaturize and become small villus hairs and eventually disappear altogether. A biopsy of a scalp with Androgenetic Alopecia will show miniaturized hairs, more hair in the anagen phase, and signs of inflammation. There have been some studies, though few and small, which suggest that there is decrease blood flow in the balding scalp.
    We also know there is a condition called traction alopecia. This is when constant traction on the hair causes inflammation and reduction in hair follicle size. Initially it is reversible, but with time it is irreversible. This is seen in patients who have hair styles that keep their hair constantly pulled tight such as corn rows.
    So, to answer the question of does wearing hat cause baldness by wear and tear I think we can say definitively no. If circulation is a factor in male pattern baldness it would be happening on the cellular or very small microcirculatory level. We do not see increase baldness in men with hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. And we know they have decrease circulation. This shows that a general decrease circulation is not a cause of hair loss. So if circulation is involved it is at a microscopic lever. Possibly when DHT binds to the genes it could cause decrease circulation or oxygenation on a cellular level. Or maybe the inflammation and decrease in the number of hair follicles seen in balding demands less oxygen and thus there is decrease circulation. We don’t know.
    But if diabetes and hypertension does not cause increase baldness then it is unlikely that wearing a hat will decrease the circulation enough to have any effect on the follicle. As Dr. Charles said anything is possible and maybe if one wears a very tight hat for prolonged periods of time it can promote hair loss. But I think this would only be in men who are going to bald anyway because of their genetic predisposition to balding.
    I think the hair loss Zigg123 saw in his dog is most likely traction alopecia.
    As for baseball players, when I watched the World Series last year, wearing a baseball helmet sure didn’t seem to affect Hunter Pence’s hair. 
    Paul Shapiro, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

According to this study:
    The contribution of endogenous and exogenous factors to male alopecia: a study of identical twins PMID: 23629119

Hats turn out to be beneficial. It could be protection against UV(which are a factor in gray hair not proven in mpb tho).

The hat could be trapping CO2 gas and "forcing" it back into the skin. Yessss....... I guarantee the skin breathes(about 2% total CO2 thru skin).

Search for carboxytherapy and qwanlee:

Something I've thought of trying: ( home carboxytherapy)

This will give you a slow steady release of CO2 instead of just a 10 second CO2 poof reaction.

What you will need:
    baking soda
    distilled water
    1 gallon vinegar
    1 gallon plastic container with a plastic lid(easier to cut).Preferably clear so you can see when the reaction ends
    some air hose from a fish aquarium or hardware store.
    silicone seal
    shower cap
    PH test strips

Then make a saturated baking soda/distilled water solution(as much as the water can hold without sediment)
    Pour that into some type of mold. Ice cube trays would work. Freeze

Cut a hole into your container slightly bigger than the air hose. Use silicone seal on both sides.

Pour about 1/2 gallon of vinegar into the gallon container. Drop the baking soda ice cubes into the vinegar. Seal the lid quickly.

Actually before that you would have had your shower cap with the other end of the hose underneath your scalp.

Pure UNADULTERATED CO2 baby.

Drop more ice cubes in as the reaction slows.

Test the PH of the used vinegar. When it is a 7.0, you will need fresh vinegar .

Repeat.

Brush your NEW head of scalp hair. It's THAT fast(kidding). But, I think you could very well mimic clinic carboxytherapy results because you only go in occasionally for those. With this method you can keep your scalp on 24/7 CO2 if you want to.

Plus it doesnt limit other topicals. This opens up the application logistics because it shouldnt interfere with other concurrent treatments.
    Although, I would do the CO2 treatment on a scalp that is clean. Creams and oils may block the CO2 diffusion into the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Shapiro, MD View Post
    This tread started with a question if wearing a hat If circulation is a factor in male pattern baldness it would be happening on the cellular or very small microcirculatory level. We do not see increase baldness in men with hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. And we know they have decrease circulation. This shows that a general decrease circulation is not a cause of hair loss. So if circulation is involved it is at a microscopic lever. Possibly when DHT binds to the genes it could cause decrease circulation or oxygenation on a cellular level. Or maybe the inflammation and decrease in the number of hair follicles seen in balding demands less oxygen and thus there is decrease circulation. We don’t know.
    But if diabetes and hypertension does not cause increase baldness then it is unlikely that wearing a hat will decrease the circulation enough to have any effect on the follicle. As Dr. Charles said anything is possible and maybe if one wears a very tight hat for prolonged periods of time it can promote hair loss. But I think this would only be in men who are going to bald anyway because of their genetic predisposition to balding.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3853891/

Many of the factors of CVD are found in mpb. The serum homocysteine levels correlate well with degree of baldness according to the study.

"and SH increased with increasing grade of AGA [Table 4, Figures ​F"

We know that aldosterone levels are elevated in mpb and fpb.
    Both aldosterone and homocysteine have deleterious effects on bone endothelial progenitor cells(CD34+). We see CD34+ EPC's lower in one study of balding hair follicles.

I think there is an all out assault on bone EPC's. Oxidized LDL elevated in mpb does an number on EPC's also. You HAVE TO get bone EPC's to the scalp. I think something( T. gondii) is disrupting HIF-1 signalling of scalp to recruit bone EPC.

Search for this post(it's required...kidding) "Androgenic Alopecia- You're Balding Because of Your Bones"

If you get EPC in your scalp you get angiogenesis which is needed and where I agree with you in a moment.

You said: (I think correctly) that it is in the microcapillaries of the scalp. Well, from this study we see there are problems with microcapillaries in the nail beds of alopecia patients. Think what gets hit hardest in diabetes....NAILS and extremities like feet.

Ok...I'll end there. The study:

Capillaroscopic patterns in patients with systemic sclerosis, psoriasis and alopecia and their correlations with serum concentrations of several angiogenic markers

Gra?yna Chodorowska1 / Ma?gorzata Michalska-Jakubus1 / Joanna Bartosi?ska1 / Agnieszka Gerkowicz1 / Micha? Adamczyk1 / Dorota Krasowska1
    1Department of Dermatology, Venerology and Pediatric Dermatology, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
    © 2015. This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 3.0 License. (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
    Citation Information: Polish Journal of Public Health. Volume 125, Issue 1, Pages 49 - 54, ISSN (Online) 2083-4829, DOI: 10.1515/pjph-2015-0024, May 2015
    Copyright Clearance Center
    Publication History

Published Online:
    2015-05-09
    Abstract

Introduction. Capillaroscopy is a non-invasive imaging method that allows cutaneous microcirculation to be analyzed. During the last decades, a diagnostic and prognostic potential of nailfold capillaroscopy (NVC) has been gaining increasing appreciation. The main indications include Raynaud phenomenon and scleroderma spectrum diseases, however the usefulness of this technique is also suggested in a variety of non-rheumatic diseases.

Aim. To assess capillaroscopic patterns in systemic scleroderma (SSc), psoriasis (PV), psoriatic arthritis (PsA), alopecia areata (AA) and androgenetic alopecia. To evaluate serum levels of several endothelial and angiogenic markers, and their relation to capillaroscopic pattern.

Material and methods. There were evaluated 295 patients with systemic scleroderma (SSc), psoriasis (PV), psoriatic arthritis (PsA), alopecia areata (AA) and androgenetic alopecia, as well as age- and sex-matched controls, were examined. In each subject, NVC was performed and serum concentration levels of several angiogenic markers.

Results. In SSc three NVC patterns: early, active and late were distinguished. Angiopoietin-2 concentrations were higher and andothelial microparticles were lower in patients with late NVC pattern. We found several differences between the NVC pattern in PV and PsA. No correlations between NVC pattern and serum levels of angiogenic markers were revealed. In AA, we distinguished both normal and abnormal NVC patterns, although the normal patterns were more frequent. Branching capillaries and features of neoformation were often present in patients with the abnormal pattern. In androgenetic alopecia, the normal NVC pattern was most frequently present, however, we found several statistically significant capillarosopic alterations, like branching capillaries, features of neoformation and altered distribution of capillaries.

Discussion and Conclusions. Serum levels of Ang-2 and EMPs may reflect capillary damage in SSc. NVC pattern varies between PV and PsA patients.

The presence of abnormal NVC patterns in alopecia patients might show the role of disturbances in microcirculation in the diseases. Further studies are required to confirm the hypothesis.

I do believe it can cause hair loss, because we obtain energy through photosynthesis... the chloroplasts within the hair need to capture photons from the sun or it will die, like grass under a rock... haha NO completely false. Severe and constant tugging and pulling on the hair, such as with tight braids, cornrows, etc... can cause traction alopecia. If you are CONSTANTLY wearing the hat and it is SUPER SUPER tight and it is pulling your hair?? haha.. who knows, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    I do believe it can cause hair loss, because we obtain energy through photosynthesis... the chloroplasts within the hair need to capture photons from the sun or it will die, like grass under a rock... haha NO completely false. Severe and constant tugging and pulling on the hair, such as with tight braids, cornrows, etc... can cause traction alopecia. If you are CONSTANTLY wearing the hat and it is SUPER SUPER tight and it is pulling your hair?? haha.. who knows, maybe.
    James...I didnt know where you going with the chloroplasts... Good recovery. I was HOPING you were joking.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

Which expert wrote the article? Maybe there are translation errors...
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux