+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Propecia...

Default Propecia...

I understand that Propecia 5mg has been prescribed for about 20 years for treatment of BPH. The problem I have is why isn't the internet awash with men reporting problems with it? It is common to find the hair loss 1mg reports of problems but surely there should be reports from men over many years reporting problems?

After looking and searching about propecia for about 2 months i think i will give it a try and i will take on pill of propecia every other day. But what i concluded tell that there is more than 2 % of men having problems from propecia. I think that about 10% - 20 % have problems and maybe 5 % have permanent problem. Propeciahelp is giving me hard time to take the drug. But who knows they may be only the 2% of people having problems. i got the prescription for it and am waiting and am taking photos as a baseline for my start. Please if any one have any thing to say please let me know. Am 22 years old and i dont have any health issues and i hope a dream doesn't turn into nightmare. Please propecia users tell me ur experience

i've been stuck lingering in middle of deciding whether or not to take finasteride (propecia) for years now... I go on propeciahelp.com and read the stories of the members there and i'm mortified. Then I look in the mirror and see my hair dissipate and I feel like I NEED to do something about it, but i still dont have the balls to even try it.

The thing that puts me off the most is that people get side effects a year or more after using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairly View Post
    I understand that Propecia 5mg has been prescribed for about 20 years for treatment of BPH. The problem I have is why isn't the internet awash with men reporting problems with it? It is common to find the hair loss 1mg reports of problems but surely there should be reports from men over many years reporting problems?
    the hell you talking about? lol.

you say men have been taking propecia for about 20 years but you take issue with men NOT reporting problems??

you claim that it's common to find reports of problems taking 1mg prop but then you say surely there should be reports from men over many years reporting problems?

maybe i'm just stupid.

I asked myself the same question also when researching before I went on propecia. Ive been on for around 3-4 months now btw, not a single side effect and im so happy that my hair is already starting to look thicker! This stuff is really great. My girlfriend already notices it, and I didnt even tell her ive started taking anything for my hair loss

Havok i'm not sure why you can't understand the op's question! Its very simple. Hes saying that there are all these older guys that have been on the 5mg version of propecia (for the last 20 years), but you rarely if ever hear that they end up with this "PFS". You only hear from the thousands of young guys on the 1mg propecia version that end up with it.

That begs the question, why do younger (and overall healthier) guys on a smaller dose end up with these problems and not older guys on a higher dose? You could make the argument that old guys don't have sex lives anyways and don't notice it. I think that's BS though.

Im sure a FEW guys on the 5mg version for bph have reported the same problems, but it's gotta be less than 5% people on propeciahelp. I think there are way more guys on the 5MG version for bph also, but im not sure.

Saying this will make a lot of people really mad im sorry if it does, but I just think younger guys are much more susceptible to the propaganda going around online. They are more prone to the nocebo side effects, and are more likely to sit online obsessing about it. Like dr. wasserbauer posted, the nocebo effect is real, and has been proven in an actual finasteride study.

Thats my opinion. I'm sure lots of people will disagree, but there is no proof either way.. Still no proof that PFS is actually caused by taking finasteride!

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by the_charger View Post
    Saying this will make a lot of people really mad im sorry if it does, but I just think younger guys are much more susceptible to the propaganda going around online. They are more prone to the nocebo side effects, and are more likely to sit online obsessing about it. Like dr. wasserbauer posted, the nocebo effect is real, and has been proven in an actual finasteride study.
    This argument is pretty stupid. There is no reason to think that younger men are more susceptible to the placebo effect, and the placebo effect cannot explain the neurological and hormonal disruptions found in men with PFS.

Erectile dysfunction is a common consequence of BPH. This makes it much more likely that doctors will confound the causes of the erectile dysfunction for men that develop side effects from the 5mg dose for BPH. Men with this condition and age are much more likely to suffer from pre-existing sexual dysfunction and men who end up being harmed from the drug can easily mistake the cause to be the pre-existing BPH condition.

There are other reasons, but this is the main factor.

i overlooked the the part where he wrote 5mg since propecia only comes in 1mg dose, afaik.

i'm still confused as to what OP is asking. most people take 5mg finasteride cut into 3rd or into quarters. is this propecia vs proscar comparison or 1mg vs 5mg? considering how some men find success in remedying the side effects by lowering their dose or taking it every other day, i doubt there is overwhelming number of people that suffer from taking 1mg as opposed to 5mg.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurts View Post
    i've been stuck lingering in middle of deciding whether or not to take finasteride (propecia) for years now... I go on propeciahelp.com and read the stories of the members there and i'm mortified. Then I look in the mirror and see my hair dissipate and I feel like I NEED to do something about it, but i still dont have the balls to even try it.

The thing that puts me off the most is that people get side effects a year or more after using it.
    Oh man that's been me for a very very long time... but you know I havn't regretted not taking it... I just dont know what i'd do if I had ED with it.

It's a BITCH. The thing is though, I have a hunch that when it really gets bad (currently the average non-balding person that doesn't scrutinise the hair of everybody they meet will not notice my hair loss) I will slip into depression or something and end up taking it anyway.

I am new in terms of looking in to treating my hair loss, and at first i heard about propecia from the television with a reputable doctor that has been around for years and is trusted, so i thought great i'll try it, then i went online to look it up, and it wasn't so great anymore, all these people complaining of sides from it, some people saying it did nothing for them, and then the possibility the sides would be permanent. I suppose the main thing that worried me is what effect will it have on my ability to produce healthy children, i mean if i stop taking it would my body return to it's previous state as i would never want to father children taking this drug.

So i said to myself this is not for me, but like some of you here as my hair loss becomes more noticeable i have an urge to try it, i have been doing a lot of research these last few days, and found a common theme, there are a lot of men taking this drug every other day ( EOD ) and at much smaller quantities than the usual 1mg Propecia a day, some using .5 EOD and some as little as .25 EOD. From what i can tell these people are getting the same results even after they dropped their dose to as little as .25 EOD, and there are studies to back it up, it's just Merc said the optimum dose is 1 mg in terms of saftey vs effect, i can't remember exactly what i read, but from what i gatherd taking something like .5 EOD would hardly change the efficiacy of Propecia than someone taking the 1 mg every day. Of course the drug companies wouldn't do an official study in to this because it would not be in their favour in terms of profitability.

Alot of men were saying their doctors would lower there dose this way, because Propecia has an effect for 48 hours so taking it every day is simply a waste, i think if i do go for it i will try .25 EOD at first, and hey, if that can give me similar results as taking 5 or 7 times that amount in a week then it can only be a good thing right, not only in terms of saving money, but much more importantly it has to be better for your health.

What do you guys think to this ?