Question Is It Possible To Build A Tolerance To Aldactone?

Hi Dr. Redmond -

I really appreciate having you here to help field some questions for us gals who so desperately need answers. My question is about Aldactone and if it is possible after say almost a decade of usage that the efficacy of the drug can wear off or diminish? I take 200mg currently and have seen a rapid decline with my hair since 2006. What is the usually the highest dosage of Aldactone you will prescribe?

Thanks so Much For Your Time!

-whlp

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WomensHairLossProject View Post
    Hi Dr. Redmond -

I really appreciate having you here to help field some questions for us gals who so desperately need answers. My question is about Aldactone and if it is possible after say almost a decade of usage that the efficacy of the drug can wear off or diminish? I take 200mg currently and have seen a rapid decline with my hair since 2006. What is the usually the highest dosage of Aldactone you will prescribe?

Thanks so Much For Your Time!

-whlp
    Aldactone (generic spironlactone) is a medication originally used for high blood pressure that turns out also to block testosterone. It is not the strongest testosterone blocker but is the least likely to cause significant side effects.

People do not become resistent to it but it does not always provide complete control of androgenic alopecia. There is more detail about blocking testosterone in my book, It's Your Hormones and in my website.

One factor usually ignored by doctors is estrogen. Estrogen makes hair grow faster and falling estrogen levels result in hair loss. This can occur after giving birth, after stopping birth control pills and as a woman approaches, or is in, menopause. If estrogen levels are going down, then other hormonal approaches than spiro may result in improvement in hair.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.

Default Thank You

Dear Dr. Redmond,

Thank you so much for your reply. I currently do take 200mg of Aldactone and I am wondering if you ever prescribe anything higher than that and is there any point in taking anything more than 200mg? Also I've had concerns over the long term usage of this drug, since I know it is a blood pressure pill and I didn't actually have high blood pressure when I started it. Over the years I've sort of wondered what type of ill effects it may have been having on my body over long term. Have you ever seen any long term side effects occurring is the usage of this drug from patients who actually don't *need* it for blood pressure purposes?

Thanks You!

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WomensHairLossProject View Post
    Dear Dr. Redmond,

Thank you so much for your reply. I currently do take 200mg of Aldactone and I am wondering if you ever prescribe anything higher than that and is there any point in taking anything more than 200mg? Also I've had concerns over the long term usage of this drug, since I know it is a blood pressure pill and I didn't actually have high blood pressure when I started it. Over the years I've sort of wondered what type of ill effects it may have been having on my body over long term. Have you ever seen any long term side effects occurring is the usage of this drug from patients who actually don't *need* it for blood pressure purposes?

Thanks You!
    I never prescribe doses of spiro above the normal maximum of 200 mg per day. Hair loss is extremely distressing but it is not worth taking a chance on treatments whose safety is uncertain.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.