+ Reply to Thread

Default Thinking about a hair transplant at 19...

First I would like to say that Ive been a frequent visitor to this site for the past year and a half, put I've just been reading everything and not contributing. I started losing my hair at age 16 hard and fast, and it progressed to the point of a nw3 within a year and a half. But since then Ive been on minoxidil for 2 years and propecia for almost a year now.
    My hairline has stabilized, and I feel like I havent lost hair over the past 1-2 years. Now Im at the point of reclaiming lost ground, so I was thinking about a hair transplant to fill some of the loss. I am now 19 years old about to go to college in a couple weeks.
    So my real question is what are your recommendations? Is 19 too young when my hair loss has stabilized? I really don't want to make a fool hardy decision... Any and all input would be appreciated.

College is a big step. Especially if you're moving away from home, making new friends, fitting in, dealing with harder classes, etc. etc. First, your progress with the DHT inhibitors is fantastic; as of right now, it sounds as though you've "stabilized."

With that being said, I would wait until you make it through your first semester (or two to be "safe") away at the stressful world of college. If your [lack of] hair loss persists, then I might consider a procedure.

But if you do undergo the procedure, do not discontinue use of the DHT blocker, or you will most definitely have a hole in your pocket in the tune of a few thousand dollars.

But either way, just understand that it is a dice roll regardless of how you approach it (and regardless of what your surgeon says).

If you have stabilized your hair loss consider yourself lucky and do your best to accept your current situation. You can always revisit having a hair transplant sometime in the future, but you are way too young and if for some reason things don’t work out as planned, your level of anxiety will be much worse then it probably is right now.

Just wanted to inform the community that I went ahead with the hair transplant with Dr. Arocha. He transplanted around 2000 grafts this afternoon, and it was a very good procedure. The only downside I'd say to the transplant was the immense pain afterwards once the anesthesia wore off, because I had no vicaden to work with after the surgery, so there was about 50 minutes of excruciating pain in there. its about 6 hours post op now though and I dont feel the pain at all.