Transplanted hair receding years after HT. - Page 2 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    The lack of knowledge in here is overwhelming. First, it's admirable that you're all on here in hopes of gaining knowledge -- But let's get a few things straight.


    The gene causing MPB is from your mother (the X chromosome) 100% of the time; so don't blame your lock-lost father.

    Secondly, HT (from a good doc) is meant for men with their alopecia under control. Regardless of the "DHT resistant" strands of hair, if your body is still producing the DHT, it will choke out the relocated hair.

    It is said to not even bother undergoing these treatments unless you are on a *working* DHT inhibitor, or until after ~40 (when ~90% of men are finished with their MPB).

    Until then, you will most often find that within a few months the hair is falling out, regardless of what your money-eyed physician told you.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itzbryan View Post
    The lack of knowledge in here is overwhelming. First, it's admirable that you're all on here in hopes of gaining knowledge -- But let's get a few things straight.


    The gene causing MPB is from your mother (the X chromosome) 100% of the time; so don't blame your lock-lost father.

    Secondly, HT (from a good doc) is meant for men with their alopecia under control. Regardless of the "DHT resistant" strands of hair, if your body is still producing the DHT, it will choke out the relocated hair.

    It is said to not even bother undergoing these treatments unless you are on a *working* DHT inhibitor, or until after ~40 (when ~90% of men are finished with their MPB).

    Until then, you will most often find that within a few months the hair is falling out, regardless of what your money-eyed physician told you.

    You're wrong. The transplanted hair does NOT fall out within a few months and NO, being under 40 does NOT mean your transplanted hair will fall out. I had an HT in 2003 and was satisfied with the results with no thinning until 2009 when within two months there was noticeable thinning especially in the right temple. So, for six years I had thick hair in the front and no, I wasn't 40. Most people who get HTs don't lose their transplanted hair.

    Secondly, whether under 40 or over 40, what does that have to do with the production of DHT? DHT is in the body 40 or under or over. If the DHT is the reason why transplanted hairs fall out, they WILL fall out regardless of what age the person is and ALL people who get HTs WILL lose their transplants, however, that's not the case.

    "alopecia under control...". What does that mean ? How can alopecia be under control ? I do take Fin and have been taking it for over a decade, yet I have the problem of losing my transplanted hairs after a random number of years.

    You'll be surprised how many GPs don't actually know shit about HTs.

    Like I said, I do believe I'm losing my transplanted hairs for some unknown reason that has nothing to do with DHT. DHT doesn't cause the hair to fall out all of a sudden and within a couple of months.

    And no, the mother isn't 100% responsible for passing down the baldness gene. Both the father and the mother can pass it down, but if the mother has no bald men in her family while the father is bald, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who's responsible for the baldness in their children.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    You're wrong. The transplanted hair does NOT fall out within a few months and NO, being under 40 does NOT mean your transplanted hair will fall out. I had an HT in 2003 and was satisfied with the results with no thinning until 2009 when within two months there was noticeable thinning especially in the right temple. So, for six years I had thick hair in the front and no, I wasn't 40. Most people who get HTs don't lose their transplanted hair.

    Secondly, whether under 40 or over 40, what does that have to do with the production of DHT? DHT is in the body 40 or under or over. If the DHT is the reason why transplanted hairs fall out, they WILL fall out regardless of what age the person is and ALL people who get HTs WILL lose their transplants, however, that's not the case.

    "alopecia under control...". What does that mean ? How can alopecia be under control ? I do take Fin and have been taking it for over a decade, yet I have the problem of losing my transplanted hairs after a random number of years.

    You'll be surprised how many GPs don't actually know shit about HTs.

    Like I said, I do believe I'm losing my transplanted hairs for some unknown reason that has nothing to do with DHT. DHT doesn't cause the hair to fall out all of a sudden and within a couple of months.

    And no, the mother isn't 100% responsible for passing down the baldness gene. Both the father and the mother can pass it down, but if the mother has no bald men in her family while the father is bald, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who's responsible for the baldness in their children.

    Wow. You took just about everything out of context.

    First things first. I am a biology major. The gene for MPB is on the sex chromosome X. Which, if you are a male, comes from your MOTHER. NEVER your father.

    There is a little thing called expressivity, which is the amount a gene expresses itself in an individual. Most often, it is very hard to see a woman with the trait because it does not effect women as bad (on average).

    Also, women are XX while men are XY. If women possess the trait, they can have a DOMINANT ALLELE on the other X chromosome that MASKS the expressivity of the MPB gene, while still being able to pass that trait down to her offspring.

    Secondly, "alopecia under control" refers to the MPB gene taking full effect (due to age) or the successful use of a DHT inhibitor.

    So, you're telling me that my father, age 62, who hasn't lost any hair since his 30's, isn't finished with his MPB process?

  4. #14
    Senior Member gillenator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    My word, after all of the time and thought it took to write my initial reply in this thread, I would have thought to at least received a modest thank you.

    Guys, the condition for MPB can be passed by either side maternal or paternal. I am rather convinced of this after making observations in people for three decades.

    Far more women suffer from MPB than you might think. They just know how to mask the thinning with hair length and styling. Far more women wear hair systems than you might think.

    FDR, thanks for your comments. I prefere to call it donor zone thinning because it can happen in other donor areas other than the occipital zone. You make some valid points. Let me also invite you to consider hair caliber in this phenomenon of donor zone thinning. Younger patients can get by with lower density goals as measured by FU cm2 mainly due to the fact that their grade of hair caliber (degree of coarseness) is usually much higher on people under 40 years of age.

    IMHO, the type of hairloss that slo and Victim are describing are more related to those transplanted hair follicles going dormant more permanently. It is not exactly the same as alopecia areata but similiar in cyclical behavior. With alopecia areata, there are blotches of total loss, not necessarily receding or thinning by hair count. Visual thinning can be seen or comfirmed by loss of density (hair count) or loss of caliber (diffusion). It does not sound like slo or Victim are "losing caliber" to their transplants; it sounds like they lost hair density. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding either patient. In most donor zone thinning cases, patients are in fact losing both hair count and caliber, however it is loss of hair count that most notice in the beginning stages of donor zone thinning.

    If I am correct, than how can it hurt to have several biobsies done to at least confirm that the transplanted follicles exist, but just are not in hair production, the anagen phase? In other words, in both cases, these men initially experienced cyclical growth in their transplants right? That means that their transplanted follicles did take, they did produce, but later shut down. If either of you do have biopsies done, be sure that a comparison is made to hair follicles extracted from a terminal hair zone. Why? Because you also want to know if your transplanted follicles have miniturized "after" they were relocated to the recipient area.

    If the transplanted follicles have not miniturized, then possibly efforts to stimulate those follicles into their respective growth phases is the answer. Who knows? That's where doctors need to investigate to see if there are viable efforts once they know the follicles are still intact, but just are not producing. That is what I want to convey to patients like slo and Victim. IMHO, they should not look to additional HTs. Thankfully they both appear to know that.

    It is true that many GPs/internal medicine physicians have very limited knowledge of hair loss much less surgical hair restoration. There are unending phisiological processes and genetic implications behind hair growth as well as varying forms of alopecia (hairloss). Far too complex for us lay people.

    Some choose to take a purely scientific path in their evaluations however I have observed many of them absolutely stumped by their own conclusions, by all of the stupifying examples that tell something all entirely different. I have chosen to base my opinions on true life examples of what indiviuals experience "across the board". There are almost always "pools" of individuals who have similiar experiences regardless of race. Age however is an entirely different factor and can have a huge implication in areas like donor zone thinning.

    I also agree that all HT doctors should disclose this phenomenon as a low occuring risk and it should be taken into consideration "IN ITS PROPER CONTEXT". I also afore-mentioned a consideration that all potential HT patients should look at histories of obvious donor zone thinning within their respective families, both maternal and paternal sides!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

    NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. James Harris, Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Slo, this is the nightmare I've been going through for the past 6 months. I too have been losing a lot of my transplanted hair. The thing is, I've had FOUR HTs, all in the frontal area over the past decade but continued to notice more thinning. The last HT was just over 1 1/2 years ago. Six months ago my hair started falling out like rain, which left the frontal area thinner than ever before. Went to see my doctor only to be shocked when he told me that I was one of the rare cases where the transplanted hair is lost with time. I was completely devastated and ever since my depression has shot through the roof. I am mad because we're always told that transplanted hair is permanent. No body cares to tell the truth that in some cases it ISNT permanent. Yes, those might be rare cases but doctors SHOULD tell us about that possibility. Had I known that, I wouldn't have gotten my last HT.

    You have no idea how depressed and sad I am about this. Over $20,000+ interest spent on HTs and now I find out it maybe be for nothing. I am furious because I didn't sit around and pray for a miracle. No, I got out and spent my own god damn hard earned money that I took years to make to fix this ****ing curse but then god decides no, you're not gonna have your hair back. This is like a double curse. First my ****ing father gives me the baldness gene, then I find out that even my transplanted hair will fall out. How nice is that ?

    I think this needs to get out. People need to know about it, even if it is a rare condition, although I DON'T think it's as rare as they'd like us to believe.

    **** LIFE.
    Man I am sorry that your are going through this tough time

    but doctors don't make money with the truth, sometimes they lie to mislead you.

    I DO NOT blame you, but the industry for what it has become. My doctor did not educate me on any of the negative of this procedure, and I had plenty.

    Thats why strip is so much more risky too. I this happens you can't go clean and shave down. Strip was the worst thing I have ever done, no I take that back, going to PHx,Arizona to get a HT is the worst thing I have ever done.

    Hang in there my friend

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    The follicles are not lost through DHT lol - they are rejected by the body at some time or the other - shit happens.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Thanks, Mr 4000 and gillenator.

    Gillenator, yeah, the loss -of the transplanted hair- has absolutely NOTHING to do with DHT. As mentioned, the new hairs grow well and they stay for sometime -ranging from a year, two, or even a few years- and then out of nowhere some start falling out within a very short period (a couple of months) and they don't seem to grow back. This is really baffling and maddening. I'm surprised no doctor seems to know why this is happening in some HT patients, or maybe they know but they don't want to talk about it so they won't LOSE potential patients.

    So yeah, those hairs that end up falling out look as thick as any healthy hair. No thinning at the tip whatsoever. It's like now you see it, now you don't.

    My doctor told me I could do a biopsy but I don't see what good that is, but now I think I'm going to do one anyway. If those hairs are dormant how can they be stimulated into production again ? There don't seem to be anything that can do that.

    This is really driving me crazy and causing me a very deep depression and extreme sadness it's actually wreaking havoc on my nervous system.


    Mr 4000, unfortunately this is the world we live in- no conscience whatsoever. All most HT doctors care about is lining their fat pockets with more and more money -that I hope they take to hell with them. Had 4 HTs by 4 different doctors and NOT one mentioned anything about the possibility of losing the transplanted hairs except the last one and that's on the day of the surgery and then after it turned out I was one of those cursed people.
    I'm just praying now that I don't end up losing all my transplanted hair because that would just kill me. But based on what's been happening to my transplanted hair it would be a miracle if I keep what's left although the doctor did say that usually the farther the transplanted hair is from the hairline, the better chance it will be permanent -in our case.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Thanks, Mr 4000 and gillenator.

    Gillenator, yeah, the loss -of the transplanted hair- has absolutely NOTHING to do with DHT. As mentioned, the new hairs grow well and they stay for sometime -ranging from a year, two, or even a few years- and then out of nowhere some start falling out within a very short period (a couple of months) and they don't seem to grow back. This is really baffling and maddening. I'm surprised no doctor seems to know why this is happening in some HT patients, or maybe they know but they don't want to talk about it so they won't LOSE potential patients.

    So yeah, those hairs that end up falling out look as thick as any healthy hair. No thinning at the tip whatsoever. It's like now you see it, now you don't.

    My doctor told me I could do a biopsy but I don't see what good that is, but now I think I'm going to do one anyway. If those hairs are dormant how can they be stimulated into production again ? There don't seem to be anything that can do that.

    This is really driving me crazy and causing me a very deep depression and extreme sadness it's actually wreaking havoc on my nervous system.


    Mr 4000, unfortunately this is the world we live in- no conscience whatsoever. All most HT doctors care about is lining their fat pockets with more and more money -that I hope they take to hell with them. Had 4 HTs by 4 different doctors and NOT one mentioned anything about the possibility of losing the transplanted hairs except the last one and that's on the day of the surgery and then after it turned out I was one of those cursed people.
    I'm just praying now that I don't end up losing all my transplanted hair because that would just kill me. But based on what's been happening to my transplanted hair it would be a miracle if I keep what's left although the doctor did say that usually the farther the transplanted hair is from the hairline, the better chance it will be permanent -in our case.
    this is not meant to sound rude, so please don't take it that way

    You have to do your best to look past the hair on your head, there is so much more to life than that. Your poor result is going to harm your health if you let it. You have to try and be as positive as possible and control what you can.

    This is something that is beyond your control. This is true for myself as well. My doctor just wasn't any good, certainly not as he claimed to be.

    My doctor (Dr.ALexander phx,arz) informs people after he screws up, his famous line that he mentioned to at least 3 of his recent patients that I have spoke with "some guys don't grow" This is what he says after he screws up a persons head, NOT before.

    Yes you lost money and so did I, and doctors were not on your side, they were on the dollar's side.

    Find a way to live with a look that is cosmetically acceptable for your situation and forget trying to chase. It will destroy you if you let it.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Thanks Mr 4000. I wish it were that easy. If it were that simple I wouldn't have gone through 4 1/2 HTs and more than $20,000 in expenses. But it isn't.

    My last doctor is a very famous doctor and people come from all over N. America and the world to get HTs by him, it's just that I have shitty luck as I do with everything usually.

    But yeah, for some, it's impossible to look past this curse. My life's already destroyed anyway. Only now it's more so than ever before.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Thanks Mr 4000. I wish it were that easy. If it were that simple I wouldn't have gone through 4 1/2 HTs and more than $20,000 in expenses. But it isn't.

    My last doctor is a very famous doctor and people come from all over N. America and the world to get HTs by him, it's just that I have shitty luck as I do with everything usually.

    But yeah, for some, it's impossible to look past this curse. My life's already destroyed anyway. Only now it's more so than ever before.
    You have a right to hate the industry
    you have a right to be pissed at your doc and previous doctors
    you have a right to be pissed about the financial loss
    you have the right to keep chasing

    I don't have an answer, I just hope that in the end you find a way to live life again and do the things that make you happy. Stop worry about what you think other people are thinking. Stop worrying about looks if you can.

    can you mention who your doc is?

Similar Threads

  1. Losing Transplanted Hair..I think ?!??
    By scottyd1218 in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
  2. Are transplanted hairs lost over a period of years?
    By vegas13 in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
  3. Native vs Transplanted hair
    By Frdtrtnfx4 in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 06:15 AM
  4. years will come and go, but a transplanted hairline never changes
    By Limmer HTC in forum Hair Transplant Results By IAHRS Recommended Surgeons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 01:16 PM
  5. How do you comb your transplanted hair?
    By caresabouthairs in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Hair Transplant - Anatomica Clinic (Turkey)
10-16-2018 01:35 PM
Last Post By Scotty7935
Today 01:37 AM
Started using Hair fibers
Yesterday 05:57 PM
Last Post By BaldBearded
Today 12:09 AM
Reasons why I chose to move up to Dutasteride from Finasteride | Video
09-02-2018 05:49 AM
by Spex
Last Post By Njshed
Yesterday 09:54 PM
PharmacyDirectGB Legit?
10-17-2018 12:21 PM
by RA94
Last Post By RA94
Yesterday 04:57 PM
Best hairloss shampoo
11-26-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post By solidboy23
Yesterday 03:20 PM