+ Reply to Thread

Default Does the crown area grow slower (HT)

I had a hair transplant about 4 months ago. I am (was) and NW6 and had 6300 grafts implanted in one session with Dr. Hasson. So far I am very happy with the results, the hair is growing in nicely and I still have a ways to go before I see the final result. I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. I noticed that the crown is growing much slower than the rest of the hair. Is this normal? I am just a tad concerned, although it's still early and things can change, that it will not grow in fully enough over the long term and that a prominent bald spot might be visible. I am attaching a picture of my head after the transplant and 3 months afterwards. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crownbefore.jpg

Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	10856   Click image for larger version

Name:	crown3months.jpg

Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	10857  

I've never heard anything about hair growth being slower in the crown. Have you talked to the doctor ? Anyway, at 4 months, you still have more time before you can see the final result.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    I've never heard anything about hair growth being slower in the crown. Have you talked to the doctor ? Anyway, at 4 months, you still have more time before you can see the final result.
    Hey. I did pose the question to the clinic and they mentioned that it is very normal that the crown takes longer and that I should see the final result on the crown 12 full months after the procedure. So, I will wait patiently for the 12 months to pass. I had 6300 grafts implanted which covered the whole area, even if it's not perfect after 12 months I would hope it would be equal coverage all around so I don't end up having a "bald spot", this to me is important. Thanks for your input.

Most docs will concur with that opion of slower regrowth taking place in the crown. Some feel it is related to the available blood flow in the very top of one's scalp. For the most part, it really has no specific explanation other than taking a longer period to manifest. I have seen some cases in the crown take up to 18 months to fully mature.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default Update

Hi again. Just a quick update on my situation. My hair has grown in nicely and I am very happy with the result so far. It's just been over 1 year now and the hair in most areas are to expectations or above. The issue for me, and it's not a big issue at this point, is still the crown. There is hair there but very thin. I am hopefull that the crown will fill in nicely in the next few months. If not I will see the clinic about what options I might have.

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Most docs will concur with that opion of slower regrowth taking place in the crown. Some feel it is related to the available blood flow in the very top of one's scalp. For the most part, it really has no specific explanation other than taking a longer period to manifest. I have seen some cases in the crown take up to 18 months to fully mature.

sebastien,

Sounds like a plan. May I highly recommend that your doctor and yourself view your scalp togethor with the use of a videoscope which will allow you to view the yield to date in your crown. You may be surprised to see some new hair shafts that are gaining length and caliber and some that may have a way yet to see full caliber maturation. That's the ongoing development of each hair shaft diameter which can also occur at a slower rate. You may also see some new hair sprouts as well.

Bottom line? You are happy with the result.

Our crowns do demand such a large part of our available donor so you may want to consider a lower density in FU cm2 in that area and still attain a large visual imnprovement in coverage.

Congrats!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default Thanks for the suggestion

Good idea! I will ask the doctor when I see him in the next few weeks. I can definitely feel the hairs in the area but they seem to be lagging behind in maturation in comparison with the frontal area. If I were to estimate I would say that the crown hairs are about 4 - 6 months behind. So, I am hoping that the doctor will confirm my accessment. I can also feel bumps in some parts of the crown which I am guessing are hairs just beginning to grow, no redness or rash is present there. I will post more pictures in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    sebastien,

Sounds like a plan. May I highly recommend that your doctor and yourself view your scalp togethor with the use of a videoscope which will allow you to view the yield to date in your crown. You may be surprised to see some new hair shafts that are gaining length and caliber and some that may have a way yet to see full caliber maturation. That's the ongoing development of each hair shaft diameter which can also occur at a slower rate. You may also see some new hair sprouts as well.

Bottom line? You are happy with the result.

Our crowns do demand such a large part of our available donor so you may want to consider a lower density in FU cm2 in that area and still attain a large visual imnprovement in coverage.

Congrats!

Crown growth apperas to be 6 months behind my frontal zone. I have heard a number of patients state this over the years and read posts attesting to the same thing.

So I think you are coming along fine!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

I also heard from my doctor that the crown takes longer to grow